“TRAVELERS' PARADISE!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Montgomery, Alabama
“TRAVELERS' PARADISE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have visited the great city of Birmingham, Alabama numerous of times and stayed at many hotels. However, this hotel is one of Birmingham's best kept secret paradise. Likewise, the property sits off of HWY 280 to the right and has a nice view of the HWY and Shops. Shown as I walked into the hotel I was greeted by a wonderful female attendant with a million dollar smile. I had a speedy check-in and was welcomed to take advantage of all the hotel offers. My room was clean, neat, and the bathroom was breathe taking!!! I only spent two nights but wish I could have stayed an entire week. However, due to business I had to report back to reality. Nevertheless, whenever in Birmingham, Alabama please consider this hotel property!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
sarajmail, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Willie4413:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experiences at our hotel.
We truly appreciate your business; and the kind words. I'm so happy you enjoyed the room; and I have to agree with you the bathroom is my favorite room since our renovation. I will certainly pass on your kind words to our front office person with the million dollar smile, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Sara Marquart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Check-in was terrible. There was a phone at the front desk to call when there was no staff present (I arrived around 8:30p), and a sign stating to do so. After calling four times, there was still no answer. Fourteen minutes after arriving to the front desk, someone showed up and asked if I had called the phone before apologizing that I had to wait. I presume he was out of range of the cordless telephone he had in his pocket, but he assured me the phone was supposed to work in the entire building. There was no acknowledgement or compensation for this wait besides a simple "sorry," which left a poor impression for the remainder of my stay.

After checking in and receiving my room key, I asked if I could spin the IHG Rewards wheel, and he said yes (I was not welcomed as an IHG Rewards member). I landed on the candy bar space, and retrieved the bar from the pantry/laundry room/fitness center. The temperature of the room felt 80-90º, causing all of the candy bars to be quite melted.

The remainder of my stay in my room was good. The kitchen is quite functional and the refrigerator and HVAC are a reasonable volume, not loud like other extended stay hotels I've stayed at. There was a power strip by the bed with a USB port, but it didn't charge my iPhone.

Check-out took at least 5 minutes as well. There seemed to be an issue with pulling up my bill, as well as the printer being out of paper. Once paper was loaded, at least 25 sheets were printed before my statement.

Staff was nice overall, but service was severely lacking. The price was right and the room was better than expected, so I would recommend this property overall, especially if there is a attendant on duty at the desk upon check-in.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
sarajmail, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Pfeifea:
I am so sorry for your check-in/out experiences; it certainly our intention to provide better service for all our guests; yet it looks as though we dropped the ball regarding your time. For this I am very sorry, and we will continue to train our team on better check-in/out procedures.
We are adding a secondary cooling system to the Candlewood Cupboard area this year, so that will help cool it better so that the candy bars are not melted.
I am pleased you enjoyed your room; and how convenient it was.
We will strive to do better with our service so that we will be able to help better the next time you visit.
Seminole, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We were in town for the Vintage Bike festival, as were thousands of others. This is a great place to stay for Barber events. The ride is short and nice. The rooms are spacious and have plenty of amenities to keep costs down. Not a 5 star place, but nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
sarajmail, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review; we appreciate your kind words! We hope to see you again for your next trip to Barber's Motorsports Park. As you stated our location is very convenient to the Park for all of their events.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed one night traveling through the area in November of 2013. We didn't need anything fancy, or extra amenities. But this room was more than I expected for $65. It was a large suite with stove top, microwave, full fridge, and comfy bed. It was clean, although it had a little wear and tear on the room, which is expected for a hotel. The staff was not overly friendly (nor were they rude), but after driving for 8 hours with a 5 month old baby I didn't care.

If we travel through this area again we will definitely stay here, and we will try other Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed November 2013
sarajmail, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your review; we truly appreciate our kind words and we hope to see you again.

Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Maybe I didn't read some fine print somewhere, but I was surprised to find out, after being out of the room for most of the day, that there was no maid service. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not someone used to a maid. But, when I am in a hotel it is one of the luxuries I look forward to. To get clean towels we had to take our used ones to the front desk for an exchange.Again, not a great hardship but just a little odd to me.

The room was very clean, with an equipped kitchen. The desk area was spacious, the flatscreen TV very large. The recliner,though, was ripped on the arm and had to be manipulated to get the footrest to go down.

One other thing that WAS bothersome - the first room they gave us was actually occupied. I used my card key to open the door to the surprise of myself and the man in the room. Thankfully he was not naked or anything!! Fortunately I didn't see him again during our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
sarajmail, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Angie B:

First, let me express our sincere thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in Birmingham. We realize you have many choices and we glad you stayed with us.

Secondly, our guests who only stay for a short period of time enjoy their time without interruptions from the staff which is one of the many reasons we don't service the rooms. I do apologize that you were not informed of this during your check-in process.

Finally, I am oh so very sorry for the confusion with the check-in of an occupied room, we typically don't have this problem; but since it did happen we obviously need to do some additionally training with our front office team.

I'm glad you found the room to be clean, and spacious. And just so you know, those recliners are being replaced during the remainder of this year moving into 2014.

We hope you give us another opportunity when you visit Birmingham again.

GADSDEN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I've stayed here numerous tines. It was a great value. Started losing its freshness over the years, but was ok. The final straw for me was making a reservation to check in late and the sleeping night staff tells me over the phone as I'm standing with bags at the front entrance that there is no availability. Luckily I discovered the hotel next door who was very welcoming where I noticed several empty rooms. They were not reserved. I called to check and was told that there was plenty of availability the night before. No apologies from management. Higher rating is for value for price and location.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
sarajmail, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We are sorry for the problems you experienced; and we will continue to strive to improve our customer service.
Our hotel was remodeled in 2012; therefore making all the rooms new and fresh, including the our new bedding package and towels.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We arrived at 2 am & the front desk receptionist (a gentleman) was friendly. All staff that we met were friendly, including Larry the maintenance man. We has asked for two adjoining rooms and both rooms were fully equipped with cooking utensils and cutlery, even a toaster. The fridge was large enough for the 4 of us & the 2 burner stovetop was a blessing to have to prepare meals. The microwave, dishwasher & coffeemaker were all clean & worked well, The rooms were spacious and it was a pleasure to have a roomy desk to work on or to have meals. We also had an iron and ironing board which was useful for us as we were in Birmingham for a wedding & needed to iron dresses and shirts. The small gym was sufficient and the free use of the washing machines & dryers were a bonus. While we didn't purchase any of the items from the Candlewood Cupboard, it was a good feature in the event we ran out of some grocery item. This hotel is just a few minutes away from a Walmart Supercenter where we did our grocery shopping. There were several restaurants nearby, & I especially like the Longhorn Restaurant. On my next trip to the US, I'm looking for Candlewood Suites first!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sarajmail, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Trinitg:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, and truly took advantage of all the in-suite amenities we have to offer our guests. I was most pleased to hear that your interactions with our team members was positive! I will certainly let Larry know about your comments.
We hope to see you again!

Sara Marquart

Been to Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover? Share your experiences!