“Probably the best HI Express I've ever stayed in.” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Probably the best HI Express I've ever stayed in.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

All around great experience. I stay here over 26 weeks per year and am still surprised at the overall commitment to excellence. You literally don't have to leave your room the amenities are that nice bathe managers reception on Tues/Wed is great too!!

Nate - Batteries Plus

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We recently had a training at the Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover and the arrangements were handled with efficiency and care. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The customer service, banquet and sales staff went out of their way to ensure that all of our needs were met and that we had a very successful training. Our trainer was from out of state and arrived at the hotel very early in the morning. The team worked together to make sure she was able to be in her room well in advance of check-in time, allowing her to rest from the long trip. They even went to pick up her lunch. That's REAL customer service.

Room Tip: Request a view of the river and book early.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The team at Holiday Inn Express on John Hawkins Parkway far exceeds any expectation I could ever ask for. They always greet me with a smile and use my name. Always asking how I am doing and if they can do anything else for me. The rooms are extremely clean and the beds are very comfortable. Steve the General Manager is not sitting behind an office door, he is out and speaking to the customers asking how they are doing. In the restaurant you will be greeted by Christina who is quick to make you a delicious cocktail. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and will continue staying here with every visit to Birmingham.
Thank you to the team for such incredible customer service!!
Tonya Boutwell

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I thoroughly check reviews before booking a hotel and read that this hotel was rather new and everything sounded positive. After more than six hours of driving we were more than ready to stop for the night, relax, and enjoy our stay. Unfortunately, upon arriving, we were barely acknowledged at the front desk by Elle, she never smiled and wasn't remotely friendly (If this is her 'regular' disposition the front desk is NOT for her..). After unloading our vehicle and going up to our room, we found neither key worked. When we went back down to the desk, Elle, again, barely acknowledged us. Fortunately, Condelay (sp?) stepped in and fixed our key cards. He was friendly and helpful every time we encountered him. Our room was comfortable and nice. Our only issue being that we could hear the children being noisy upstairs late into the night. For our evening meal Colita was our server. We were the only patrons in the restaurant, she spent a great deal of time 'folding napkins' and watching t.v. She smelled like smoke and kept banging dishes when she brought food, etc. Thinking we would give the restaurant one more try, we went back for breakfast. We should have grabbed a granola bar and got on the road. For breakfast our 'server' was Nichole. If both these people are a representative of all the servers at this restaurant, everyone needs training in serving, etiquette, & hygiene. Nichole left us menus (after we told her we didn't want the buffet) said she would 'be right back' which meant she went to sit on the bar and check her phone until I got her attention and she realized we were ready to order. Two of us ordered bagels. When our son went to check the cereal selection she was picking up half a bagel off the floor & putting it in the toaster. When he realized she was making poppy seed bagels he told her we wanted plain. She said she wasn't sure they had plain and would have to 'go check'. She kept checking her phone while handling the bagels--disgusting. Anyone handling food should be wearing clean gloves or have just washed their hands. I'm sick of seeing people getting paid to check their phones and perform weak customer service. So out of the FOUR employees we mainly dealt with while at Holiday Inn, Condelay is the only one I would hire!
One more thing the pool was very small for the size of the hotel. It said max. capacity is 30. There is no way I'd be in that pool if there were more than 10 people in it! The fitness center can fit a max of four people.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor...so you don't hear people running above you!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Steve V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I am sorry that we were not firing on all cylinders while you were here. Guest service is what keeps us apart from all the other hotels in the area. It looks like we missed it while you were here. We strive to be the best hotel around. I promise to take your comments and make some improvements so that we do not have these occurances again. Thank you however for taking the time to reach out to us to let us know. It is people like you that make us strive harder every day. Safe travels!
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I was here on business with 16 other people from all over the US. This hotel was chosen for the location to our lab and we also used the conference room. Check in was easy although became a little confusing when some people in our party needed to pay for the hotel on a company card (which wasnt with them) versus their personal card; I think by the end of our week long stay that had been worked out. The rooms were nice, I had a king size room that was very spacious and clean. I appreciated having a fridge and microwave in the room since we were there all week long. It was also nice they had Bath & Body shampoo and lotion since I only brought carry on luggage so I had to limit the liquids. The bed was really high and I'm pregnant so it was hard to get into almost like I needed a step stool. Their pillow sizes are ridiculous! I have throw pillows in my house that are bigger, plus 2 are soft and 2 are firm (aka rock solid). We got tickets to their morning breakfast buffet which was a joke because every morning I was never asked to give mine so I just left it on the table when I was done. Breakfast was the same every morning which got old after 4 days and had a limited selection of cereals, fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage and grits, toast etc. The one morning I saw them making waffles and would've loved to have one but would've needed to order it from the restaurant which was not included in my buffet ticket. Staff came by to offer orange juice and coffee but they usually got around to it as we were about to leave. The staff for the most part were very friendly! They had great restaurant recommendations for us! The managers reception (aka free wine and beer at the bar) was much appreciated by my fellow business trip members after a long day. The conference space was nice with all of the necessary I supplied needed to hold our class. Overall it was a good experience staying at this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013
Emily - thank you for the comments. I am glad we were able to handle your group. I also appreciate the feed back in regards to breakfast getting boring after all the time you were here. We will take your advise and we are now going to start switching items up to give guests a variety. Thanks again and I hope we will see you again and you can see some of the changes.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had a last minute business meeting in Hoover, AL and Holiday Inn welcomed me with open arms. I have had meetings in Birmingham before, and my hotel experiences have been HORRIBLE. Thankfully, to my dismay, the staff really made me feel at home and showed me how a real hotel is run in this city. My room was very clean, the food was GREAT (you must try Kems restaurant!) and the location couldn't be better. My business in Birmingham is picking up and there is not another place that I will be staying. As often as I stay in hotels, I rarely get to say this .. I can't wait to come back here during my next visit!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WOW - thank you for the wonderful review about your past meeting and stay. Please when you head back this way, or next time you meeting gets scheduled, I hope that we can host it again.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Hoover during the SEC baseball tournament, and it was the hotel experience. Not only did multiple people in our group have issues getting a room, the hotel refused to take responsibility for there mistakes and treated us poorly the entire time. For my room specifically, I, like others in our group, tried to check in prior to reporting to work for the games, but were told various stories on the delay and their errors. During the first round of check in issues, the hotel was point blank asked if there was a problem with my room because I would be returning late. The hotel said I would have no issue no matter what time I arrived. When I arrived, they had no room for me and told me I would have to go elsewhere. I told the desk what had been told to me personally and the rest of the group. She looked dumbfounded, as she had been coached on what to tell me when I arrived, and told me that I had been lied to. She found a room for me, and around 2:00 am, I was able to go to a room. The rest of the week management hid in the back rooms of the hotel and avoided the situations we encountered. After having been at the hotel several days and putting the breakfast on my room as I had done each day, I got a call to my room saying that I left without paying for my meal. I explained that I put it on my room as I had done previously. I was told that they had no idea what I was talking about, and I would have to give a credit card yet again. I did. The next day, I again went to breakfast, and when I sat down the waitress came to my table and said the manager has said we cannot allow to leave without paying yet again. I told her the misunderstanding. She came back to the table saying the manger has no knowledge of you ever giving a credit card. To avoid further embarrassment, harassment, and issue, I paid with my card instead of as I had done before. I then tried to speak with the manager who had made the accusations, she was extremely rude and dismissive. She later denied me a checkout receipt (that's against the law), said I lied about being owed a free breakfast (I never said anything about free breakfast only that I had given my credit card and asked why I after four days there was now an issue to charge to my room), and said that since "I refused to pay" she comped my breakfast. I showed her my receipt showing my credit card was used, and she told me that was her comping my meal. I asked her why her comping my meal was the exact same visa number as my credit card. She had no response other than to continue her sarcasm. On top of all of these customer service issues there were prostitutes hanging around the parking lot and lobby, and when I mentioned it to the manager she muttered something under her breathe and refused to address any of the issues. This hotel also charged personal credit cards as well as the company for rooms. I have never been treated so poorly in all of my travels. Customer service, common courtesy, and basic respect were non-existent. Long story short- DO NOT STAY AT THE HOLIDAY INN HOOVER!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Steve V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Leslie, I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience. However we are very fortunate that everyone else with in your company enjoyed their stay so much that they are already rebooking. I hope when you come back we will be able to show you the level of service we are known for.

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover? Share your experiences!