“Rude front desk staff when checking out” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria

You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntsville, Alabama
“Rude front desk staff when checking out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at this Homewood Suites on Saturday, September 29th. The room was nicely furnished and well laid-out. However, when we entered the bathroom, we noticed that there seemed to be some water damage at one time leaving what appeared to be mildew on the time flooring near the shower door. We did not bother to report it to the management at that time as we arrived at the hotel very late that night and, after a very busy day, just wanted to go to bed to get rest. The next morning, when we were checking out the hotel, I approached the front desk and was greeted with an obnoxious comment by the front desk clerk. Although she seemed to think she was joking with me, I did not appreciate the comment. She could tell I was not amused but she never offer an apology. Instead, she just continued to laugh and roll her eyes when I asked to speak with a manager. The general manager was not in at the time so the housekeeping manager came out to talk with me. I explained the situation and felt that the housekeeping manager understood my disappointment with the treatment I received. She suggested that I contact the general manager the next day by phone to discuss the situation with her as well. When I called the general manager this morning, she was already aware of the situation. She did apologize and said that the front desk clerk should have apologized to me when she noticed I was not amused by her comment. I pointed out to her that not once was I asked about my stay and that perhaps her desk clerk should be trained to understand that she is representing the hotel and should make her primary objective to make the guest feel welcomed and not insulted. There are many lodging options in the Birmingham/Hoover area and I will be sure to find another hotel to spend my money in the future!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melony T, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for the feedback on your experience at Homewood Suites by Hilton in Hoover Alabama. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the lack of service you experienced while at our hotel. When our front desk clerk said "Roll Tide" to you she did not mean it in an offensive manner, however it did offend you and for that we apologize. We hope that you will visit us again if you're ever in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at the Homewood suites in Hoover Alabama when I was in Alabama for training. I arrived on a Sunday at about 5pm. The hotel director, Teressa, was extremely helpful and kind. Right away, she was asking what she could to make our stay better. She even went above and beyond her required duties for us on more than one occasion. The hotel was extremely clean. EVERYONE on the staff was helpful and kind. The rooms were beautiful and the amenities were astonishing. The hotel serves a delicious brekfast everyone morning and dinner Monday-Thursday. This was my second time coming to the state for work. The first time we stayed at the Hyatt and it does not even compare to our stay at the Homewood Suites. Thank you to everyone on the Homewood Suites staff for making my stay a pleasant one. We appreciate all of your kindness.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Melony T, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Teressa and the rest of the staff here at Homewood Suites would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review of us with everyone in TripAdvisor land! It is our desire that every guest that stays with us has an experience as enjoyable as yours. If you ever find yourself back in the area, we hope that you will stay with us and have the chance to experience all that Birmingham has to offer!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have stayed here 15 days over the past six months. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are well appointed/designed and the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful.

Throw in the breakfast and dinner that is included in the price and you have a great value. The hotel is also close to the Galleria area with many restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: Any of the king size rooms are great
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with everyone in TripAdvisor land. We look foroward to seeing you again soon!
Hampton Roads, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Let me start by saying the property is wonderful- clean, well-appointed, comfortable. We were a group with special needs (several hanicapped members and a pet) and we chose this property as the best option for the price while traveling to Orange Beach, AL.

The suite we stayed in was at the end of 3 long hallways- not an easy trek for those with walkers. It did afford privacy and quiet and was perfect with 2 bedrooms, a seating area, and kitchen. We arrived earlier than check-in and the room was not ready. No problem as the front desk offered to call us when ready and we went to find lunch. However, we did not get a call and returned to wait in the parking lot (dog and handicap travelers, remember) until the 3pm check-in. At 3:15, I went in to sit in the lobby after passing by the front desk to inform them of which group I was with and asking that I be notified when the room was ready. Thirty minutes later, the rest of our group also gave up and decided to camp in the lobby as perhaps a squeaky wheel might recieve some grease. We were checked in a few minutes before 4 PM.

Later that evening I came back down to ask the desk for suggestions for dinner. The desk was empty though I did hear voices speaking in the back. After waiting for a moment or two, I left. (Note that the majority of eating options with be one exit to the south- but few options directly around the hotel and no information in the hotel about delivery options if you are not inclinded to leave your room. I guess with a kitchenette you don't need them.)

Upon check-out the next morning, the front desk was again unmanned. Now, the staff I did encounter (quite a few actually, considering that it was not possible to hurry the turn-over on a room) were all friendly and spoke. They weren't going out of their way or hurrying for you, but they were friendly!

Over-all, were I traveling by myself or with a younger or business group, I would consider this property as an option. For those who might have special needs or require assistance, I would still stay here if you understand that you are essentially on your own.

Room Tip: The 2-room suite we booked was 3 long hallways away. There are 2 elevators and the closest was still...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melony T, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for providing feedback on your experience at our hotel. We appreciate customers who take the time to tell us how to we can better serve them. Our front desk staff should always be front and center to assist our guests. At Homewood Suites Birmingham-Riverchase we strive to deliver service that exceeds you expectations and we sincerely apologize that your experience did not reflect this. Should you ever find yourself back in the area, we hope that you will allow us to show you truly outstanding service, the type of service that has become synonymous with the Hilton name.
Sebastian, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Well, all I can say is I wish I wasn't home right now, but instead living at this hotel. It's got a full spread for breakfast everyday that would make my grandmother wish she knew how to make real waffles, haha. The dinner menu is different every night Monday -Thursday, but the BEST part about the dinner here is they have a free draft with yuengling and miller lite beers. Always flowing during dinner. Couldn't be any better than that. A roomy suite with 2 flat screens, and a full kitchen. I couldn't ask for more, I just hope I find another hotel like this one. Thanks.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking the courtyard. Some of the other rooms face woods on the back side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the great comments! We really appreciate you taking the time to tell everyone about all that our hotel offers! Guests like you are the reason we love our jobs! We can't wait to have you stay with us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Homewood Suties Hoover is everyithing one expects from the brand: lots of room for the money, clean, comfortable, a convenient location, and a friendly staff. However, the staff here is the execption. They aren't just friendly, they're real pros who love what they do, and it shows! We were in town for a concert at Oak Mountain Amphitheatre which is less than 3 miles away. This hotel was at full capacity, but check-in was a breeze. Even with 113 suites full of guests (a conservative estimate of 300+ people), the staff knew most of us by name. That level of service is usually only at hotels that cost 5 times as much. They also managed to keep 300+ rowdy concert goers in check. The atmosphere was festive & fun, but the rooms were quiet. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I travel to Hoover about 6-7 times a year & have stayed in nearly all the properties in the Hoover area. This was my first stay at Homewood Suites. The only two things I didn't like was the distance from the Galleria/Patton Creek area & I absolutely did not like that the bathroom does not have a door to separate it from the bedroom - very annoying when someone is getting ready in the morning while trying to sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria? Share your experiences!