“Great management” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mississippi
“Great management”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is a typical Residence Inn, meaning a good night at a good hotel. I had enough points for a room, but I really needed a 2 bedroom to accommodate my family. The hotel was full when I checked in because of the soccer tournament we were there for, and when I asked, the assistant manager was very apologetic about not being able to upgrade me.(I am a Marriott rewards member) I told him I understood, retrieved my key, and went to get lunch. I received a phone call from the hotel before I could get back to the hotel. The management was calling to tell me they had located a two-bedroom for me because of an early check out. The hotel even opened the breakfast room earlier to accomodate all of the young soccer players who had to be at the field before the regular weekend breakfast hours. That is what I call service. The hotel is conveniently located near the Galleria and MANY restaurants. Another great Marriott stay...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alyssa S, General Manager at Residence Inn Birmingham Hoover, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a positive review. We try very hard to accommodate our guests and I am so pleased we succeeded with you. If we can ever help you again when you are in the Hoover area, just give us a call.

Alyssa Stroup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hoover, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in a Studio Suite,it was enough room for two I wouldn't try anymore than that in this type room. Check in was fast(even though some of the front desk staff lack professionalism). Some touch up work is in order. Noticable scuff marks through out room.Lets not forget the hole in the wall. We did mention this to the front desk,the young lady didn't really seem to care.The heating & air system is loud. Furniture showing it's age. The bed is very uncomfortable,the mattress is toooooooo soft.Would we stay here again? well.......if we just wanted a quick get-a-way close to home like this time, maybe if we got a good rate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alyssa S, General Manager at Residence Inn Birmingham Hoover, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to inform me of areas of needed improvement. I am sorry that you had an uncomfortable night due to the softness of the bed. I will address the mattress, room condition and front desk issues with each department head. Once again, thank you for your constructive criticism as this helps us grow as a company. Please feel free to contact me with any other concerns you have.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I am a very loyal Marriott customer. I stay almost exclusively at a Marriott property just about every week for work. I have over 590+ nights stayed with Marriott Rewards.

This week I was in Birmingham visiting family, and decided to stay here at Residence Inn Hoover. Past stays here have been great, and for the most part the hotel, which is only 2 or 3 years old had been being kept up pretty well. However, I did notice this week that there seems to be a lack of general maintenance and general housekeeping going on.

My 1 bedroom suite was just ok for the most part, however was missing the normal recliner in the living area (the ottoman was still there...odd). The entry door to the suite was pretty dirty..splatters and scrapes, nasty hand prints, and marks all on it. The bathroom was a bit dirty as well. The exhaust above the tub/shower combo was gross...black grey fuzz built up all over it. The tile edge by the tub was all molded as well. The kitchen area had crumbs still left over from the previous cucsomers.

I parked on the highway side of the property so used the back entrance to come and go. The back entry door was extremely nasty! So nasty in fact that the painted area above the door handle was not white any longer, but instead a nasty brownish black color! How hard is it for housekeeping to spray it and wipe it off occasionally?? Noone wants to see that, much less touch it! The doors leading to the 1st floor room areas on the left nd right sides of the central hall were about the same condition...and generally beat up pretty badly.

Housekeeping and maintenance need to step up their game here. Note to hotel management...take a walk around the property and check up on things occasionally.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your concerns about our hotel. We are currently working on replacing our recliners as they are very worn. As for the hotel, I agree with you there are some manintenance and housekeeping issues that need to be addressed. I am working with the hotel supervisors to improve our overall appearance, as we will be 5 years old this August. Please contact me personally by email or phone, alyssa.stroup@marriott.com or 205-733-1655, to further dicuss your concerns with your stay. Once again, thank you for taking the time out to help us improve.

Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was a very nice hotel! My kids, ages 1 and 4, accompanied my husband and myself on this 'family trip' as my 4-year old would say. My kids really enjoyed being away from home and feeling like they were in a castle, lol! The room was very nice. They offered to go pick up groceries free of charge. I was really impressed that they had a full kitchen including cooking, cleaning and eating utensils. They offered both hot and cold breakfast which was delicious, by the way. The lady that was keeping the food well stocked and cleaned was extremely nice! Kudos to her..she worked the breakfast bar on 02/10/13. Overall, thanks for a great stay...will be back soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Corinth, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family of four stayed here for two nights, January 4th and 5th. I prefer staying in condos on extended trips but on short trips such as this, I still want at least a separate bedroom. This is what we had here and we were very pleased. One note of caution is that it can be noisy on the street side (our side) but it did not keep any of our 4 from sleeping soundly. Just might want to ask for a room on the other side. The staff at the front desk was so helpful, just wished I remembered their names to give them a shout out. The second night my wife and I sat in the lobby by the fireplace for over two hours visiting with a friend who had come to see us. My wife was using her smart phone to use the internet. She was having some problems and the night manager spent several minutes helping her. He even called the motel technical support and got my wife on the phone to talk to them. As far as our room, it was very comfortable. The bedroom seemed a little small but the king size bed was nice. Shower pressure was fine. This is a very nice place to stay and is a great bargain also.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

As a whole, this hotel was better than the Hyatt down the street (which was the first hotel we had reservations for). Smelled clean, in a nice, lighted, safe location. The room was really crowded with furniture but was nicely stocked with anything one might need in the kitchen or such. On a general inspection, this place looked pretty good- wiped counters in the kitchen, granite end tables, and clean sheets. On closer inspection, the Furniture was a little worn and cracked, the sink area in the bath had literal boogers wiped on the wall, and the unplaced stopper in the tub made it possible for anyone to see the incredibly hair laden drain.... The next morning was the really priceless deal breaker. As I picked up my jewelry that I had laid on the end table the night before, I noticed some small whitish particles about the size of rice grains. I opened the curtains to let light in. I squinted down to see what had been beside my head all night and discovered that the whole granite table was covered in someone else's finger and toe nail trimmings! Bleech!!!!! That only meant that the housekeeping had neglected to even try to wipe off the table from previous guests. The entire table was covered!!!!!!! I was so upset!!! So lesson is- ok establishment but maybe check on the Embassy Suites or the new Hampton Inn down the street first ----- unless you enjoy toenails.

• Stayed December 2012
Enterprise, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am a real hotel snob. Cleanliness with no gross smells rank at the top of my list when looking for a hotel on the road. I also always try to locate the newer hotels along my route, and will often stay a little off the beaten path if it will give me what I want and need in a hotel.
I am a brand new pet owner and have always steered clear of staying at pet-friendly hotels for fear of pet odor, soiled carpets, etc. But this past weekend was my first experience travelling with my dog and needing a hotel. I had heard good things about the per-friendly Residence Inns. And I had a great experience with a Residence Inn 2 years ago in Baton Rouge.
Well, my stay this past weekend was a very positive one. The room was very clean, no evidence at all of a pet ever being in my room. Smelled fresh. The guy at the front desk was so accommodating and even came down to my room to reset the a/c unit with a "VIP code" to cool it way down for us. It stayed cool all night and with the rain coming in during the night, we all slept soundly. We crated our dog the entire time and she slept too. It was a great experience. The breakfast was good and I was impressed with the breakfast staff. They kept things replenished and very clean. I met Alyssa, the manager, at check-out and she was very professional and accommodating. We will definitely be staying at Residence Inn again and if we find ourselves back in Hoover, we will stay there again.
The only negative that would be great to correct is there was no DISNEY CHANNEL on the TV. This is the first time I have ever experienced this problem at a hotel. When travelling with children, The Disney Channel is a MUST. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT. Residence Inn, please see about adding the Disney Channel to your channel line-up. Y'all had HBO, but that doesn't entertain small kids. Thank you!

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor. I liked this. Right next to lobby and breakfast and no waiting fo...