“Another great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Trussville, Alabama
“Another great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have dined at Gianmarco's on several occasions. We have consistently had a great experience each time we have dined there. They have a full menu that offers many choices of pasta, seafood, and other entree dishes, but they always have several chef specials that are presented each night and we usually get one of these as they are always delicious! This trip we were celebrating my husband's birthday. We ordered a Barolo wine, shared an oyster appetizer (three each of pistachio encrusted fried oysters on toast and Oysters Bienville), split a salad of mixed greens and a dessert (Apple Crostada with cinnamon gelato). My entree was the perfectly cooked rack of lamb served with risotto and asparagus. My husband opted for a sea bass type fish served with crabmeat and creamy polenta. Both entrees were excellent and highly recommended! Reservations are a must, although they now have a wine patio that does not accept reservations and you can still order off the full menu. There are only three 4-seat tables there though, so make reservations!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vestavia Hills, Alabama
“Food FABULOUS, but pick up scene at bar??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I try and take my clients to GM every time they are in town so I go twice a month. Great service, incredible food and wine. I have had many items on menu, asked for modifications which they made without complaint, and have never had a bad meal. Have to mention though it seems the same old "singles" are sitting at the bar and aggressively eye you when you come in or are waiting for a table. At one point I thought I would ask management to stop an older man from staring and staring at me. Other than stay away from being picked up at the bar, the food is the best in Birmingham. Love the back wine bar too. Sit outside on the porch. Really cool.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montana, Usa
“A Little Italy in a Little Neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Every time I travel to Birmingham, I go to Gianmarco's...and no matter what day I go, it is busy! Reservations are a must, although I have popped in solo and been able to sit at the Chef's table or in back at the Wine Bar (great outside tables there - no liquor, just wine but the same kitchen & menu). The location is great - love that it is in a neighborhood - and just a few minutes from downtown B'ham. From the before dinner drinks to dessert, I've never had anything but a great meal here. The bartenders here do the BEST French 75 - and I'm not a gin drinker. Last time I was there I had the pork loin and it was delicious. Apple Crostada with Cinnamon Ice Cream for dessert - top notch! If you want a quieter atmosphere, sit in the Wine Bar area, the main dining room can be a little noisy.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fayette
“THE Best Italian around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We first went to GianMarco's on the recommendation of friends. We fell in love with it immediately that first visit. Small and quaint with a wonderful staff and the absolute best Italian we have ever had. Such a wonderful departure from chain Italian-this food is real!! Our biggest problem is having to plan ahead to go, as reservations at least a week or two in advance are a must. Our latest visit last month was great as usual. Our fave from this visit was the appetizer special of fried mac and cheese-it was nothing like we expected and was delicious!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham, Alabama
“Less and less impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is one of those places where each time we eat there, we get less impressed. The first time was the best. I had a short rib pot pie that was out of this world. The next time, my wife wasn't thrilled with her pasta. This last time, the service was horrible. I hate to think this place is going downhill, but it seems like the emphasis is going toward its bar and away from the food aspect. It is a shame, because we used to love eating here.

Visited May 2013