“In serious need of a renovation.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Nashville, Tennessee
“In serious need of a renovation.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Perhaps the best thing about this property is its location -- across the street from a big shopping area in Homewood.

On to the review.

This is an older Courtyard -- probably built in the 80s. The only thing "new" about this hotel is the lobby/Bistro area. The rest of the hotel is OLD, OLD, OLD! The first word that comes to mind is "dingy." I stayed in a one-bedroom suite. The sofa was made of a artificial fabric that was so scratchy that I could not sit on it comfortably. The chairs had rubber cushions --reminiscent of those you see in hospital rooms. The bathroom was clean but old and dingy. The bed was not as comfortable as those usually found at Marriott properties.

An annoying aspect of my in-room experience was the WIFI. For starters, the signal was intermittent -- going from five bars to zero bars. Next, it was slow. I could not do Google or Yahoo searches. Quite often I had to switch the WIFI off and on on my computer to get it to work. I was very disappointed.

As a Platinum member, I've stayed at a lot of Courtyards. I'd put this one in the bottom third.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Daniel B, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. First I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the WIFI may have caused you. I am working diligently with our internet service provider to ensure the experience you had with our WIFI does not repeat itself. I'm excited to say that we have just completed an upgrade to all guest room bathrooms offering an upgraded experience for our guests. Thank you again for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kingston, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The hotel is ideally located by major interstates and a large shopping area in Birmingham. The front lobby, restaurant, and staff are all awesome. The beds are comfortable and my room had a refrigerator but no safe, Safety seemed good--keys were required to enter the hotel from all exits other than the lobby.No free breakfast but they serve Starbucks coffee and they have in room coffee makers..There is also a little store on site if you need snacks or forgot hair spray (as I did).The rooms could use a little updating as far as carpet. Shower head in my room only sprayed well if on extremely hot position. Biggest complaint was the cable. First night I got only the hotel channel. I called and they said they would have the cable company look at it. Next night I got the hotel channel, ABC and CBS. In their defense they did give one girl in our group $60 off her bill for the inconvenience and I got a free coffee. Overall though it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I was not wild about the first floor room--as a rule I don't care for first floor just as a safe...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Frequent traveler for business, we come here to visit our daughter in college. Great Location, Great Value, Great Staff (Espcially Howie / Op Manager).
Good pool, work out room ok - but get the free pass to the local Y.
Yes it is a little more money, but the staff more than make up for the extra cost. These people know how to take care of travelers.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently stayed at this property on a business trip. The PC's in the lobby for guests to use are incredibly outdated and slow compared to other Courtyard by Marriott properties I have visited. They are running a browser that does not support gmail. The other item that needed attention was the black mold on the ceiling in the shower. This property is very conveniently located and has friendly staff. They just need to do pay attention to a few details.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the north wing for easier access. The south wing has stairs outside for access.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dan A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback. Since your comments we have repalced all 4 lobby PC's with brand new units that our guests can use to connect to and print from. It is feedback like yours that helps improve. We have also inspected each room and have noted all that needed attention to he bathroom ceiling and these have been repaired. We have also slated even more work to go into our bathrooms this summer based on your comments. Thank you so much and we look forward to hosting you again when in Birmignham.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

During a recent winter storm in my city, this hotel took in many stranded local residents who could not make it home on icy streets. The staff, none of whom could leave, and none of whom could get in to relieve the ones who had already been working all day, could not have been more professional and upbeat. The housekeeping staff distributed pillows and blankets to those of us who could not get rooms, probably about 100 people. They also set up cots in meeting rooms and made sure people with young children, and a few elderly folks who needed extra help were seen to.

This stay was certainly not a normal experience but given the circumstances it was as good as anyone could have hoped for. Sure it was not the most pleasant to have to sleep on the lobby floor, but it beat staying in the car on the side of the road in sub freezing temperatures. And we all made the best of a difficult situation. Even the lobby wi-fi performed flawlessly with more than a few folks using a variety of electronic devices.

Those of us who could not get home even on the second day were accommodated with spotlessly clean rooms, and all the amenities one would expect at a top rate property.
Based on this experience I would imagine a regular stay would be even more pleasant.

Room Tip: The elevator is quite a long distance from the lobby so be sure to check with the desk clerk about l...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words. The staff of only 7 employees (only a fourth of what we would normally have) operated above and beyond over this time frame. I have recieved countless calls, letters, and cards thanking them of their service. I am also happy to say that they were all recognized with one of Marriott's highest awards the Service Excellence Award. We are glad we could offer some shelter and comfort during this trying time not just for you but for literally hundreds of people. We are proud of how our staff responded and worked together over those days. Thank you again!
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

As a Samford parent, the location of this hotel can't be beat. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the food is pretty good. My only complaint is that the room prices appear to go up when there is a big activity at Samford like Homecoming or Parent's Weekend. That being said, I have stayed here a number of different times and have always found the rooms to be clean and the staff to be friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We love being so close to Samford University and value our relationship with the school. We do offer a Samford rate which can offer you a discount but it is based upon avalability so please book early. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you again when in Birmingham.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is located directly across from Brookwood Mall and Target and down the street from Samford and Wildwood Shopping Center and is near a Wal-Mart and a Sam's. My room was very clean. The rooms at Courtyard contain refrigerators, but no microwaves which makes no sense. You are provided with soap, conditioner, etc..There is a fitness room with the minimum weights being 10 pounds. The fitness room contains about 3 treadmills. The temperature in the fitness room cannot be adjusted because you need an engineer to do that. In the middle of the hotel is a lobby, with a food stand, and some drinks ($3.00). There are no vending machines in the hotel. There is no free breakfast. There is cable though and most of the channels seem to work unlike some of the other Courtyards. The staff is pleasant. Unfortunately, Courtyards only treat you nice as an Elite customer if you pay directly to the hotel. If you pay through Priceline, your membership in the Elite program does not matter (it doesn't really matter anyway).

I would stay here again if I didn't need to be in town over 2 nights. Otherwise, I would stay in Towneplace, which has a full kitchell, living room, and bedroom.

Room Tip: Make a left on LAKESHORE at the Shell near Brookwood Mall.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dan A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the review of your stay while with us at the Courtyard Homewood. It is always fantastic to hear from our customers point of view. This feedback is the only way we can get better as a hotel. As you mentioned our Bistro restaurant is located in the hotel and serves a wide variety of breakfast and dinner options. As there are no vending on the floors we try and offer just as many options 24 hours a day in our Market located by the front desk as well. We love our loation next to Samford University and would love to have you back. Thank you for choosing Marriott and we look forward to seeing you again on a future stay!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood? Share your experiences!