“Storm Relief” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
“Storm Relief”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

During a recent winter storm in my city, this hotel took in many stranded local residents who could not make it home on icy streets. The staff, none of whom could leave, and none of whom could get in to relieve the ones who had already been working all day, could not have been more professional and upbeat. The housekeeping staff distributed pillows and blankets to those of us who could not get rooms, probably about 100 people. They also set up cots in meeting rooms and made sure people with young children, and a few elderly folks who needed extra help were seen to.

This stay was certainly not a normal experience but given the circumstances it was as good as anyone could have hoped for. Sure it was not the most pleasant to have to sleep on the lobby floor, but it beat staying in the car on the side of the road in sub freezing temperatures. And we all made the best of a difficult situation. Even the lobby wi-fi performed flawlessly with more than a few folks using a variety of electronic devices.

Those of us who could not get home even on the second day were accommodated with spotlessly clean rooms, and all the amenities one would expect at a top rate property.
Based on this experience I would imagine a regular stay would be even more pleasant.

Room Tip: The elevator is quite a long distance from the lobby so be sure to check with the desk clerk about l...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dan A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. The staff of only 7 employees (only a fourth of what we would normally have) operated above and beyond over this time frame. I have recieved countless calls, letters, and cards thanking them of their service. I am also happy to say that they were all recognized with one of Marriott's highest awards the Service Excellence Award. We are glad we could offer some shelter and comfort during this trying time not just for you but for literally hundreds of people. We are proud of how our staff responded and worked together over those days. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

As a Samford parent, the location of this hotel can't be beat. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the food is pretty good. My only complaint is that the room prices appear to go up when there is a big activity at Samford like Homecoming or Parent's Weekend. That being said, I have stayed here a number of different times and have always found the rooms to be clean and the staff to be friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We love being so close to Samford University and value our relationship with the school. We do offer a Samford rate which can offer you a discount but it is based upon avalability so please book early. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you again when in Birmingham.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is located directly across from Brookwood Mall and Target and down the street from Samford and Wildwood Shopping Center and is near a Wal-Mart and a Sam's. My room was very clean. The rooms at Courtyard contain refrigerators, but no microwaves which makes no sense. You are provided with soap, conditioner, etc..There is a fitness room with the minimum weights being 10 pounds. The fitness room contains about 3 treadmills. The temperature in the fitness room cannot be adjusted because you need an engineer to do that. In the middle of the hotel is a lobby, with a food stand, and some drinks ($3.00). There are no vending machines in the hotel. There is no free breakfast. There is cable though and most of the channels seem to work unlike some of the other Courtyards. The staff is pleasant. Unfortunately, Courtyards only treat you nice as an Elite customer if you pay directly to the hotel. If you pay through Priceline, your membership in the Elite program does not matter (it doesn't really matter anyway).

I would stay here again if I didn't need to be in town over 2 nights. Otherwise, I would stay in Towneplace, which has a full kitchell, living room, and bedroom.

Room Tip: Make a left on LAKESHORE at the Shell near Brookwood Mall.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dan A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the review of your stay while with us at the Courtyard Homewood. It is always fantastic to hear from our customers point of view. This feedback is the only way we can get better as a hotel. As you mentioned our Bistro restaurant is located in the hotel and serves a wide variety of breakfast and dinner options. As there are no vending on the floors we try and offer just as many options 24 hours a day in our Market located by the front desk as well. We love our loation next to Samford University and would love to have you back. Thank you for choosing Marriott and we look forward to seeing you again on a future stay!
Brooksville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

They have a nice, large-hotel-style lobby with a small bar for food and drinks, almost like you would get in a nice hotel but on a much smaller scale. The rest of the lobby is clean and modern with comfortable places to sit and watch TV or just relax. CJ at the front desk was very pleasant and, from the moment I tried to make my reservation, everyone was extremely helpful.

The room was nothing exciting, but it was in good repair, everything worked, and the beds were comfortable. Oh, and clean. Very clean.

Parking was fine during the day, but we discovered that when we got home late that we had to walk a ways around the building.

This would be about 3.5 stars on my personal, much harder, grading scale, but they got a bump for doing it all right. I recommend them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dan A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and love to recongnize our staff. We will recognize CJ during our next stand up meeting from your kind words. Thanks again for the feedback and thank you for choosing Marriott!
Semmes, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

As per request of my grandfather who has Althimers, he wanted to go visit my brother in Birmingham this was the closest hotel to his home. we get there there was food all over the floor and under the coach bed. we notified the front desk (they did nothing) we tell them again in the morning about the disgusting food all over within a few hour of us visiting my brother we come back to our hotel room to discover bugs...(its late we go to sleep they said they didn't have another room) the next morning we take my grandpa to visist my brother and come back to the hotel. NOW THERE ARE BUGS IN THE BEDS AND TABLES AND ON THE PILLOW! We tell the front desk they said we called the exterminator company that all we can do. I said give us another room... 4 hours later we got another room.. they didnt help us moved or anything the MANAGER WAS RUDE and DIDNT CARE. We were horribly upset and my grandpa was in a very upset state to the point we had to cut our trip short and bring him home to see his dr. I contacted the HOTEL they said we are not going to do anything. we wont refund your money for one night. we dont see that we did anything wrong. When i booked the room i told them i was traveling with someone with special needs. They dont care if they ruin your trip... STAY ELSEWHERE... I Have pics and video of the hotel with bugs crawling on the beds and tables... I didn't swim but the poor was filthy with crap floating on the water....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay at our hotel this past summer. We obviously want to hear both the positive and also improvement areas our hotel has. I apologize regarding your experience as a whole and would love to try and speak with you about it and see what we can do to rectify anything and also apologize in person. I can be reached at (205) 879-0400. In the meantime you can rest assure that I will look into each aspect of your feedback and rectify as needed. Thank you for choosing Marriott!
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is an awesome hotel. I stayed here for 5 nights for the Brookwood opening and the place is perfect. The check in was a breeze I had a great room. Everyone was so friendly. I really enjoyed my stay. There is only one elevator but that is ok plenty of parking did not have one complaint. Great for business travelers

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms near the elevator or the back corner those are the quiet ones
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dan A, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us! We appreciated your business and are thrilled to have the brand new Fresh Market right out of our front door. My staff is an eqully excited having the Fresh Market to recommend to guests and appreciated your kind words on the service received while with our hotel. Please do not hesitate to see us agan when in the Birmingham area!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This Courtyard was just as great as the one in La Jolla, CA. From walking in to the modern lobby and greeting area to the service at the counter. We arrived late and received the exact room we were looking for. There was no parking available out front, and I parked my car curbside away from the entrance without anyone complaining. Very nice. The room was perfect temperature upon arrival, clean and the usual modern look that we have come to like so much. Slept very well without any noise. The next morning the bistro allowed us the luxury of grabbing a pear and walnut parfait and smoothie on our way out the door as we headed to the football game. The location is close by the 65 and right by some good restaurants as well. You can't go wrong with this hotel and I will choose it over any full service Marriott hotel elsewhere in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for you kind comments regarding your stay with us! We love to hear when all aspects of our guests stay goes well. Our staff loves the feedback and we continue to push to give the level of service and quality of product to come to find with Marriott. We would love to have you back when in Birmingham again whether it be to follow the Tide (RTR) or on business or othr pleasure travel. Thank you for choosing Marriott!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham Homewood? Share your experiences!