“I was HAPPY with my accomodations!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Gulf Shores
bloomfield, In
“I was HAPPY with my accomodations!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a VERY nice experience. The room was clean, and large, balconey with a view that was to die for! The ONLY down-checks I would give, is the bathroom is small, but then I wasn't planning on having a party in there! and there were issues with calls ot coming to the phone, but as soon as I mentioned it to the desk, a new phone was brought up. We had endured a TERRIBLE night at a hotel in Orange Beach, so moved here and it was a GOOD choice!!
If i ever make it back to Gulf Shores (God willing !), I WILL book here again.

• Stayed April 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
bailey0777
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

The staff is not friendly or helpful. We were passing through town and called the night before to check rates. We were quoted one rate, but we didn't book at that point. The next day we walked in and were quoted a price 20.00 higher than the price quoted the day before. We were told "he" could change the rates whenever he wanted. We went ahead and stayed anyway. The rooms are pretty old. Average cleanliness. Not impressive but not awful either. I wouldn't recommend the restuarant either. It was mediocre for the price. There are better options for breakfast for sure. The Best Western isn't horrible, but there are much better options for comparable money. Try the Island House Hotel. We've stayed there before and will be going back. The breakfast is really good there.

• Liked — location, beach views
  • Disliked — staff, age of rooms, restaurant
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

Our stay started out bad. My sister paid for the room by credit card as an Anniversary gift to us(she lives in Virginia, I'm in Al.) over the phone to the 800 #. A week later, after 2 calls and conf. info sent online to me, we thought everything was set and drove 4 hours south to Gulf Shores. Got to the Best Western. They demanded a copy by fax of her credit card and drivers license, this is on a Sunday. I by some miracle was able to get up with her by phone and she happened to be near a fax. This was very inconv. to us. We were never told to have this done before the trip. The front desk woman seemed unconcerned that we may have to pay by cash. She all but accused us of using a stolen credit card. Between the phone calls doing the reservations and the email contact someone should have let us know to fax this info.
The room was very clean. The remote however did not work. The outside pool is very small. The inside pool is large and two hot tubs were great, if you could find out easily how to turn them on as they were on a 15 min. timer and I watched many people sit in them without understanding they even turned on. The on switch kinda faded into the wall and was hard to see. The elevator buttons numbers were worn off and again I watched several people question that. We went off season during a week night/Sunday night so the rooms were $100. but during the weekend now and all summer the same room is $300. way too much. The location of the motel is excellent. Restaurant was good to have nearby although we didn't eat there, it was very relaxingly set up to look out over the ocean. I would stay again when prices were low/discounted but will never forget all the trouble we had checking in.

• Liked — hot tub and location of best western
  • Disliked — their method of check-in. extremely small outside pool right by restaurant windows.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

This hotel is located directly on a beautiful section of the beach. For a few night's stay you cannot beat the price. If you are staying longer than a week or have a large group, I would recommend a condo. Our room had a kitchenette which was perfect for just me and my wife. The one negative is that there isn't a king-size bed on the top floor. We had to get two queen rooms. No big deal though.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Gulf Shores, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

My husband and I took our 2 children here for a short beach trip. For a short 2 night stay for our small family during off-season (late August after schools went back into session), you could not beat the price. We had a blast so it was worth every penny.

If I had a larger family and was staying for a longer period of time, I would definitely go for a condo but the rooms here were more than adequate for our needs during this stay.

PROS: Cost, much cheaper than a condo, no minimum night stay and no cleaning fees. There is a kitchenette in some of the rooms consisting of 2 burner stove, small refrigerator (slightly larger than most hotel fridges but definitely not full size), small sink, and microwave/vent hood. The kitchenette is nice for preparing very simple meals. Our room also seemed clean and was quiet. Our upstairs balcony overlooked the beach so that we could see the dolphins in the morning.

CONS: Definitely not the ritz but you get what you pay for. The bathroom was very small. There is no DVD player and the kitchenette is minimally furnished. The pool is pretty small so I could see where it could get crowded during peak season/summer. There's also an indoor pool which we fortunately didn't need to visit because the weather stayed nice.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

pros- A great location
The room was clean
cons-
An older hotel with poor room design. The room had an unusual smell and had the smallest bathroom of anywhere I've stayed.
This was a kitchenette, however, it wasn't really enough room.
The price of the hotel was extremely high for the accommodations. I priced some newer hotels with better accommodations and the same location for 2/3 of the price. I don't believe they have much repeat business but thrive on last minute travelers.
Book your vacation here well in advance to avoid this place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hotel room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Alpharetta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

The location is great with oceanfront rooms that have excellent views. The room was not the cleanest but would be considered average cleanliness for an older 1960-70's style beach front hotel / motel. We had a clogged tub that they attended to in a satisfactory manner. Our stay was negatively impacted by issues that would be simple for the hotel to correct.

They do not provide shampoo & conditioner in the room. It is inconvenient to require a guest to request shampoo from the front desk. We used Best Western for their reputation of quality and the price was close to $200 per night. Not a cheap motel.

Towels were a bigger problem than they should have been. We are a family of 4 and the room only had two towels when we arrived. When asking at the front desk, we were given 2 more after being asked that the two used ones were returned. When we balked, we were provided the 2 more.

We had a dinner scheduled away from the hotel one evening of our stay and returned to our room to shower at 3 pm. The room had not been cleaned. We found the maid and asked for clean towels, she said she was not allowed to give them to us and directed me to the front desk. The attendant said they would send some up to our room. After 20 minutes they had not arrived and I called down to check. The person said they had alerted housekeeping and they were on the way. The towels never came and we ended up using the small hand towels and wash cloths to dry off after our shower. Not great!

The maid cleaned our room while we were getting ready to leave because she said she was past her time to leave for the day. She had no towels and said they would be bringing clean towels later. When we left I asked the front desk about towels and they said when I returned that night to bring the dirty ones to the desk for a replacement. I said I did not think I should have to do this, why could they not just put new towels in the room while we were gone. The lady in a huff said they would.

When we returned that night, there were still no towels and we called the front desk. We were told to bring the dirty ones down in order to get clean ones. The only problem was the maid had taken the dirty ones and we did not have them to bring down. We explained and were told if we wanted towels we could come down to get them. My wife went down to get the towels. The attendant ignored her while she was on the phone for an extended period of time. She was given the towels in a less than courteous manner.

This situation required too much discussion and trouble for such a simple request. When someone is on vacation, they expect to not have to be concerned with these kind of issues. We felt the front desk staff treated us rudely each time we interacted with them. We were required to persuade them to do what we needed rather than an automatic willingness to make sure the customer was satisfied.

We were already required each day to go down and request shampoo, which was a hassle. Each time we were offered two and had to ask for the four and explain that we needed enough for all four of our family members. It seemed to be a tight rationing system that should not be in place when paying top dollar for a decent hotel. This would be a system that you would think of for a hostel or low budget hotel. We will never return and never recommend this hotel to friends due to the way we were handled.

• Liked — Great Views, Right on The Beach
  • Disliked — Rude Staff, Poor Service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN on the Beach? Share your experiences!