“Never again! Poor Service, and we were lied to!” 1 of 5 stars

Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3025 W First Street, Gulf Shores, AL 36542   |
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Gulf Shores
usa
“Never again! Poor Service, and we were lied to!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We arrived on 07/03/2013 as planned ( we were given the wrong room, it had one bed not two) We have a family of four. So we asked the lady at the front desk if we could have the room with two beds as reserved and she said no that we would have to wait until the morning to see as she could not switch out the rooms) So we unloaded our belongings.
We stayed through 07/05/2013 and upon waking Saturday 07/06/2013 we decided it would be best to end the vacation early due to circumstances. My Husband called down to the front desk as soon as they opened and spoke with the lady there who informed him that she did not know what the policy for refund was and we would have to talk to the manager on Monday morning. I called back shortly thereafter to inform her that if we were not able to get a refund then we were not going to leave until 07/08/2013, so I needed to know something then so that we could make our decision. She said that she would call her manager and speak with her and let me know something. We called back a third time and was informed that we would be able to check out early and that she had talked with management and that they would refund us first thing Monday morning (7/8/13), as she herself was not authorized to do the refund.

So we checked out before the 11:00am checkout time to avoid further charges,(though the lady at the front desk said it didn’t matter what time we checked out, we chose to check out before the “normal” check out time) took the keys into the lady that we had been speaking to. She had a business card and handed it to us and stated, that the hand written name on the card is the manager and she would be the one to call Monday morning and would give us the refund. She assured us that we would get the refund Monday Morning and that Kernotta would be the one to do it. So we left based on this, and this alone.
Now it is Monday Morning "manager" (very rude) is refusing to refund us for the two days that we did not stay. She also stated that we would not be able to contact anyone above her authority.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Smells like moth balls. Terrible beds. Nasty carpet. Wore flip flops n the shower. Nasty..Remote. Didn't work but only had 1 tv station anyway, used a beach towel for a blanket because comforter looked very old & dirty, to much negative to mention it all. Just don't stay here in my ( & many others ) opinion!!

• Stayed June 2013
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We learned you get what you pay for. This place is dirty. Pay a little extra and stay somewhere better or stay in Foley. Beds sag. Comforters look like they have not been washed in 10 years. Lamp shades molded. Window unit air conditioners that do no keep up with Alabama heat.

• Stayed June 2013
Clarksville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Everything looked great on the website but it was very dirty. The front desk ask if we would put our towels outside the door so they could be washed that night because they didn't have enough towels. I only seen 2 other cars in the parking lot that night. If I had not already paid for the room I would have never stayed! Very disappointed!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The front desk people were nice enough, but the room was terrible. The door, once shut, still had light visible all the way around it. The pillows were flat as could be and the shower was confusing to operate. We stayed two nights. My first clue should have been there are no refunds :)

There is no pool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jackson, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

When I first booked a room for this hotel, I was very excited. On their site, they state that there's complementary breakfast, among other amenities. However, after getting to the Inn, checking in, settling in and calling the front desk to see if they did indeed have breakfast, because it did not say so in their welcome booklet, we were informed that there was no breakfast.

The next morning I went to the front desk and asked why it is advertised online that they have a "Inncredible" breakfast, if there is not one. She really didn't have any answer for me, except to tell me that this isn't the first time that she has heard this.

The manger of the Inn wouldn't be in till Monday at 8am. When I contacted her and explained the situation, she informed me that there is nothing they can do, and that they've tried to get that off the website for years. She also told me I must have booked through the corporate site that they have and not "their" site. Because their site doesn't advertise breakfast being an amenity.

When you google "Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores AL" the first website that pops up is the corporate one, that has all the different locations they have and you're able to click on the Gulf Shores location. When I went to go search (again, searching "Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores AL") just a few minutes ago for this other website that the manager talked about, it was the 3rd link down. I don't know about other customers, but usually when I'm searching for something, the top result is usually the one I click on. The second link was trip advisor, so really, there'd be no reason for me to even look for another link/website because I thought I had clicked on the right one, as it was the first one. It may just be breakfast to some people but we really felt mislead and very inconvenienced since then we had to go out and pay for breakfast that was guaranteed to us though their website.

It is really too bad that this specific location doesn't value customer service. It is not my fault that they cannot take down that advertisement. The LEAST they could have done, since I was directly told that they are aware of this issue, is advertise at the front desk that breakfast is not provided and apologize for the inconvenience or tell that directly to people as they are checking in, since I'm betting most people book through the corporate website.

Aside from this mishap, when we arrived the staff was attentive and nice. Upon entering our room, I immediately noticed a heavy smoke smell and also found cigarette burns in the carpet and on the mattress. They advertise that all of their rooms are smoke free, but clearly, this particular room had been smoked in and the smell lingered.

Everything seemed clean, including the linens and towels. The bed was definitely not the most comfortable bed I ever slept on, even though on their direct site (http://www.countryhearthinngulfshores.com/rooms1.asp), it states that the mattress is a "new Pillow-Top Serta mattress king bed", which was not the case because I personally own a fairly new pillow-top Serta mattress, king size bed and the bed at this location was not pillow top. At night we could hear the room next to us talking, and I'm just guessing it's because the walls are very thin. So, if you stay here, just pray you don't have party people next to you because it will be difficult to sleep.

Overall, just be aware that they do no service breakfast, the rooms are the bare minimum, no fridge, or microwave, but you get what you pay for. I would not recommend this hotel/inn if you are staying more than one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Watkinsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

The hotel room wasn't super fancy but it was extremely clean. The bed, bathroom, and floor were very clean. The woman at check in was also friendly and helpful. It was a good value and centrally located.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores? Share your experiences!