“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3025 W First Street, Gulf Shores, AL 36542   |
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Gulf Shores
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The front desk people were nice enough, but the room was terrible. The door, once shut, still had light visible all the way around it. The pillows were flat as could be and the shower was confusing to operate. We stayed two nights. My first clue should have been there are no refunds :)

There is no pool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Jackson, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

When I first booked a room for this hotel, I was very excited. On their site, they state that there's complementary breakfast, among other amenities. However, after getting to the Inn, checking in, settling in and calling the front desk to see if they did indeed have breakfast, because it did not say so in their welcome booklet, we were informed that there was no breakfast.

The next morning I went to the front desk and asked why it is advertised online that they have a "Inncredible" breakfast, if there is not one. She really didn't have any answer for me, except to tell me that this isn't the first time that she has heard this.

The manger of the Inn wouldn't be in till Monday at 8am. When I contacted her and explained the situation, she informed me that there is nothing they can do, and that they've tried to get that off the website for years. She also told me I must have booked through the corporate site that they have and not "their" site. Because their site doesn't advertise breakfast being an amenity.

When you google "Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores AL" the first website that pops up is the corporate one, that has all the different locations they have and you're able to click on the Gulf Shores location. When I went to go search (again, searching "Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores AL") just a few minutes ago for this other website that the manager talked about, it was the 3rd link down. I don't know about other customers, but usually when I'm searching for something, the top result is usually the one I click on. The second link was trip advisor, so really, there'd be no reason for me to even look for another link/website because I thought I had clicked on the right one, as it was the first one. It may just be breakfast to some people but we really felt mislead and very inconvenienced since then we had to go out and pay for breakfast that was guaranteed to us though their website.

It is really too bad that this specific location doesn't value customer service. It is not my fault that they cannot take down that advertisement. The LEAST they could have done, since I was directly told that they are aware of this issue, is advertise at the front desk that breakfast is not provided and apologize for the inconvenience or tell that directly to people as they are checking in, since I'm betting most people book through the corporate website.

Aside from this mishap, when we arrived the staff was attentive and nice. Upon entering our room, I immediately noticed a heavy smoke smell and also found cigarette burns in the carpet and on the mattress. They advertise that all of their rooms are smoke free, but clearly, this particular room had been smoked in and the smell lingered.

Everything seemed clean, including the linens and towels. The bed was definitely not the most comfortable bed I ever slept on, even though on their direct site (http://www.countryhearthinngulfshores.com/rooms1.asp), it states that the mattress is a "new Pillow-Top Serta mattress king bed", which was not the case because I personally own a fairly new pillow-top Serta mattress, king size bed and the bed at this location was not pillow top. At night we could hear the room next to us talking, and I'm just guessing it's because the walls are very thin. So, if you stay here, just pray you don't have party people next to you because it will be difficult to sleep.

Overall, just be aware that they do no service breakfast, the rooms are the bare minimum, no fridge, or microwave, but you get what you pay for. I would not recommend this hotel/inn if you are staying more than one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Watkinsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

The hotel room wasn't super fancy but it was extremely clean. The bed, bathroom, and floor were very clean. The woman at check in was also friendly and helpful. It was a good value and centrally located.

• Stayed October 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Staff claimed I needed military id for rate I was quoted. Booked thru orbitz but Had to pay here plus tax. Room stinks! Mildew and body odor. Tv is old 19 inch and linens are filthy. Wow really! This is the best they can do. Seriously, I travel for business and this is the worst. For thos rate, go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012
CHIGulfShores, General Manager at Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We deeply apologize for the concerns of this trip. While investigating your booking; it was brought to our attention that Orbitz.com booked the lowest rate they found on our website ignoring the fact that it is restricted to active military personnel with valid ID. This is beyond our control as they clearly disreguarded that fact.

As for the smell issue, had we been notified of the issue we could have easily corrected it. From time to time any hotel you stay in will get the smell from the dehumidfier built into the a/c units. This is easily corrected. We have addressed all the rooms since we are unable to determine which was yours. We found no anomolies but treated them all anyway.

To address the TV, we regret you were placed in one of the few rooms that still have the analog 19" units. We have been in the process of changing all the TV's to 24" flat screen HD. This update is a commitment to being guest friendly.

We regret the linens you had were not up to our normally high standard. All of our laundry is washed after each guest with the proper chemicals. If there had been an attempt to contact us about them being below standard we would have gladly changed them all to your satisfaction.

To close, we appreciate your patronage and hope that you will give us another chance to prove why this negative review was the only one we received out of the hundreds of guests we had during the week. We assure you we will be addressing all the concerns.

Kevin M Gilliland
Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores
Flower Mound
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel was referred to us by a friend because for the price on a holiday weekend. The bed was comfortable and shower was good, air worked great but overall room was very low key. Had a desk and no chair, no microwave or fridge and pillows were awful. (we had our own pillows thank goodness). Cable and wi-fi was out one day. For the price it was okay and we ended up staying three nights. Front desk people were very nice and did end up giving us a good rate for the additional two nights we agreed to stay. Location was very close to shopping and restaurants and away from all the beach traffic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Thinking we would need only a bed for overnight, I booked the Country Hearth in Gulf Shores. I had read the reviews and knew that it might be questionable, but for just one night....and with the AAA rate it was be best value. Big mistake. The room was dark and dated--and the TV was horrible--old style and small. The office is not attended overnight--didn't really need it, but...
We don't consider ourselves "picky" but thought this place was "grusome".

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

We unfortunately had to stay here for one night; being one of the few hotels that allowed pets.
The GM and staff we dealt with were exceptionally friendly and pleasant. However the property was a dump.
Let me list the complaints:
The bed was sloppily made.
The room was large but the only place to sit was on the bed.
There was a desk but no chair.
There is no direct way to contact the front desk.
The shower was extremely slippery.
The pillows were stained and smelled.
The mattress was terribly uncomfortable, felt like a metal bar running from side to side under your back.
When we got in the bed, we found a wad of hair under the sheets.
There were dead bugs around the night stand and under the bed.

I know I wasn't staying at the Ritz and was not looking for amenities, however cleanliness should not be considered an amenity! I This place was unacceptable and I would NOT recommend it to anyone.
When we spoke to the front desk about the bed; we were given fresh sheets and blankets.

• Stayed June 2012
CHIGulfShores, General Manager at Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
We deeply apologize for the concerns you experienced during your stay.

Sloppily made beds, missed vacuuming and hair on the sheets is not a standard. With more than 200 customers in the same two nights this was an isolated experience.

In regards to the chair, we apologize that the guest prior to your stay damaged the chair and it was in our repair shop. It is likely that we could have repaired and returned is or come up with another solution had we known this to be an issue.

The pillow complaint will be and could have been addressed as we have spare and new pillows. Had we been aware of the issue we would have corrected this.

All apologies to the shower being slippery. This is likely due to the housekeeper not thoroughly rinsing the sanitizer down.

We will take a look at the bed and correct the likely broken box spring. The beds are young and are high quality Sealy sets that should have been comfortable.

We apologize for the hair on the sheets as well. Judging from your picture it appears that during the washing and drying cycles in bleach this was deposited and missed by QA before being used.

For everything again, we deeply apologize. We are very concerned that you were unable to contact the front desk directly. It appears from some of your comments you had some contact with us (fresh sheets and blankets. Friendly staff) during your one night stay. All of our rooms have phones and the ability to press "0" for the front desk. In addition, our office was open until midnight. Again we regret your feeling of us not being available to your needs.

After researching, it appears an agreement was met that compensated you for your concerns. In the future, please allow us the opportunity to correct items for you so that your stay can be pleasant.

Management

Been to Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores? Share your experiences!