“HORRIBLE HOTEL DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Beachside Resort Hotel

Save Saved
You added Beachside Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Beachside Resort Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   610 West Beach Blvd, Gulf Shores, AL 36542 (Formerly Ramada Limited)   |
Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Gulf Shores
“HORRIBLE HOTEL DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Okay first of all, the attendant at the front desk was a raving witch if you know what I mean. She told my mother I was being rude when I had a legitimate question when I went to get the paperwork. Trashy hotel, room reeked of smoke, foreigners didn't speak English, awful bedding. The room wasn't clean and the TV/hairdryer didn't work. Staff was so rude and there was no 'continental breakfast'. Awful, just awful. Never going back.

• Stayed October 2012
Beachsideresorthotel, Manager at Beachside Resort Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Beachside Resort Hotel. I would also like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its staff. We regret that your stay was not up to standards however; we are currently under new management and undergoing renovation of our Guest rooms, and training our staff to provide better guest services to make your stay more comfortable and memorable.

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

There was nothing wrong with this hotel. It was clean and comfortable. But it could use some updating. We enjoyed late night swims and family karaoke.
........................…......................................

• Stayed October 2012
Beachsideresorthotel, General Manager at Beachside Resort Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Awesome! Thank you so much for the kind words. We are undergoing a major renovation of our guest rooms, to provide you better accomodations on your future stay with us.
The next time you are visiting give us a heads up, We have great resources for places to eat and fun things to do. Email me at beachsideresorthotel@gmail.com We look forward to the opportunity to be of service again very soon ..
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Rooms old & in need of update. Thought for sure I would catch something. Outside Karaoke bar right in front of the hotel, right under the rooms...so of you don't mind load drunk people trying to sing all night you should be fine. Staff not very nice or friendly but who could blame them having to work there. Oh one more thing good luck on the free breakfast...that was a joke.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
Saraland, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

had an awesome stay. Pool was quite an experience! i recomment this hotel price ways too, compare to others in the area. Thanks to Jim for giving us a good deal. If you have any problem i suggest you get hold of this guy and i am sure you won't be disappointed. Thanks! will be back next year.

Room Tip: rooms on front side for better view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Neil, Thank you for being our valued guest and we appreciate you sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. I'm delighted our location suited you well. We strive every day to create special experiences for our Guests. We will pass along and share your comments with all of our staff as a job well done. We look forward to the opportunity to be of service again very soon.
Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Enter at your own risk. Expect to cross a BUSY/CONGESTED highway to get to the beach. You have to take your own garbage out of your room since housekeeping is too lazy to do this simple lil task! And they dont understand english. I told them we didnt need room service and guess what? After we came back from a visit to the beach they had made our beds but didn't sweep sand off bathroom floor. Ripped us off for $176 per night (tax including) call me a sucker if you will we all live and learn.

• Stayed August 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Don't stay here. i have never seen bedbugs except on t.v. that night i kept feeling something biting my shoulder and arm. thought mosq. the next morning there was little blood spots on white sheets. i knew immediately. checked under mattress and there they were. smaller than i would have thought. killed one with tissue, bright red blood! my blood! i know housekeeping knew simply from changing the sheets in this room, and didn't say anything and let me sleep in there. reported to health dept. but have not heard a word.

Room Tip: choose a different place!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My family had planned a trip to Gulf Shores for Aug.19-21. There was a mix-up with dates at the place where we had originally planned to stay, so I had to find replacement accommodations for two of our planned three nights. I picked up a copy of one of those Traveler's Coupon books and found a coupon for Beachside Resort Hotel. I checked out their website ( www.beachsideresorthotel.com ) and it looked nice enough (The website was, as I was soon to learn, badly misleading), so I called to make reservations for the two nights. Now, I usually take the time to check out reviews on Trip Advisor before I book a stay, but as I was in a rush to find a place, I didn't do it this time. Never again will that happen.

We arrived on Sunday, Aug. 19th, checked in, and I asked the front desk person for a luggage trolley. She told me they were outside. It had been raining and when I went out to get one they were all soaking wet. The "floor" of the trolley is carpeted, so there's no way you can put bags and luggage on it without getting everything soaked. I brought this to the attention of the desk person and she gave me ONE small, plastic garbage bag to cover the floor of the trolley. Needless to say, we ended up carrying our luggage to the room.

When we got to our room - Room 303 - it seemed fairly clean at first glance. It was NOT the same quality as the rooms pictured on their website though. Instead of being light and airy, the walls were dark, which made the room look gloomy. The carpets were badly stained and were so worn in places that the black backing was showing through. The bathroom had been updated with new tiling and was reasonably clean. We soon realized though that the toilet wouldn't flush properly and there was no key for the in-room safe. A call to the front desk didn't help at all. I was told they do not have keys for the safes!! With three adults and two small children, who were tired from a long drive, we decided to make the best of it and tough it out for the two nights.

The pool is situated on the third floor, on top of the canopy overhang, at the front of the building. The pool itself, and the pool area, was clean, BUT the railing at the edge of the area leading from the walkway to the pool - on the third floor, mind you - was gapped so far apart that a small child could easily slip through and fall to the ground below!! Also, there were only 4 or 5 chairs/lounge chairs available, so with the five of us using them there weren't any left for other guests.

Back in the room, to get settled in for the night, we found there was no phone book available to call out for food delivery, no local restaurant/activity info/pamphlets, no kind of TV channel guide, and no ice machine on the property. You have to BUY a small bag of ice from the hotel for $1.50! The Wi-Fi was not working, but another call to the desk got it reset and working.
When I called for the reservations, I had asked for a king-size room. I was told they only have rooms with double beds. They did, in fact, have double-size mattresses, but they were on twin-size box springs! Both beds had at least a 6-inch overhang on both sides! Almost impossible to sleep in this bed with two toddlers and not fall off in the floor!

The next morning, we went to the front desk to pick up vouchers for breakfast. They only give two vouchers per room. Any other members of your party have to pay for breakfast! The vouchers were for a Mexican restaurant, Tequila Bar and Grill, which is attached to the hotel. You have four breakfasts to choose from (child-size portions) and they offer ONLY water or coffee to drink. No juice for the kids, AND you can only have ONE cup of coffee... refills are extra!

On the way back after breakfast, we noticed that there was still garbage next to the elevators... it had been there since the previous day and was smelling up the entire area.
As we got back to our room, one of my family members was telling us that he felt like something was crawling on him during the night. He did indeed have small bite marks on his back! When we pulled the covers back to check the beds, we found... BEDBUGS!!! Upon further inspection, we found not only were the mattresses badly stained and the sheets covered with tiny blood spots, but there was the obvious presence of bedbugs in the mattress seams and LIVE bedbugs embedded in the mattress protector!! (See attached photo) I wasn't sure, at that time, that they were bedbugs, so I Googled it. Sure enough, the pictures showed the same bugs that were in our beds!!
I scooped one of the bedbugs up into a cup and took it to the front desk. The person who was on duty that morning, Brandy, was very nice and immediately contacted the manager. (Who, as I was told, never shows up until after 10 AM) After speaking to him on the phone, Brandy offered me a refund for the two nights AND was kind enough to find us a room at another hotel nearby. The rates at the new hotel were higher, so she also gave me extra to cover the higher rates! We returned to the room, packed up our things and left as fast as we could!

As I was checking my credit card charges on Wednesday, Aug.21st, I discovered that Beachside had charged my account for a stay on the previous night. I made a call to them, explaining that I had left there on Monday morning. I was told that someone had failed to remove me from the system and that they would credit it back to my card. I didn't receive the credit until Saturday, Aug. 25th.

Beachside Resort Hotel is an old property, which has changed hands several times over the years. I have been a guest at many hotels during my travels... some great, some good and some bad, but NONE of them have ever been as bad as this one. I believe a call to the county Health Inspector and Building Inspector is in order!

Take it from me, you're much better off paying a little more to stay somewhere else in the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area than to waste your money, and jeopardize your health staying here!

Room Tip: When you arrive for a stay at ANY hotel/motel, be sure to make a bed inspection your first priority...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Beachside Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!