“worst hotel ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel and Suites Gulf Shores

You added Magnuson Hotel and Suites Gulf Shores to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel and Suites Gulf Shores
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   213 West Fort Morgan Road, Gulf Shores, AL 36542 (Formerly Days Inn Gulf Shores)   |
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Independence, mo
“worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I will probably never book a room at a days inn again. one towel when checking into the room along with a used bar of soap left in the shower. the lady at the front desk was rude as were the housekeeping. Had I not prepaid for my room I would have never stayed there. find another place for sure

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have stayed at Days Inn hotels all across the United States and after staying in this hotel I don't think I'll ever stay in another one again. If I could rate this hotel a negative 10 I would. It was that bad!!! First of all I was super excited to take my child to the pool. Uhm, no thanks. The pool was super dirty. Super dirty seemed to be the theme for the rest of the hotel as well. My room was dirty and it smelled horrible. Paint was peeling off the walls, the linen wasn't changed during our three night stay, and I think our room was only cleaned once. The front desk kept promising that they would send someone up to clean our room, but you guessed it, they never came. This is also a no smoking hotel. Well someone on my floor was definitely smoking, and the front desk told me that the strong smell in my room was coming from someone that had smoked outside and the smell was still on them. Really?!? All in all, I have stayed in several Days Inn hotels, this hotel was the most expensive and the worst. Pay the extra money to stay at another hotel. It'll be well worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

OMG! Where to start. WE check in our room and there were NO towels, washclothes or hand towels.The room was not clean. And when we complain the girl at the front desk gives an attitude. If the whole beach had not been booked we would have left. I will never stay at any Days Inn again!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

First of all our room wasn't ready on time, it was supposed to have a refrigerator but didn't, we had reserved the room for four people but had towels for two. The next am we discovered the coffee pot didn't work so we told the front desk. That afternoon we returned to the hotel to find our room hadn't been touched. I went back to the front desk to pick up my own towels and told her what all was wrong. The next day they cleaned our room didn't switch coffee pots and only left 2 towels so i had to go get my own towels again. The front desk the next day didn't care she said " I can't do anything about that" and she literally laughed at me when i told her I was going on tripadvisor

• Stayed July 2012
Colyell, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Where do i start? First off do not let the negative reviews scare you away. I will say that no this is not the ''nicest'' hotel around, but when I only paid $90 a night during the height of beach season (July 4th weekend) I had no room to complain. Let me share my experience with those who may be looking to stay here.

Called the hotel ahead of time and was told that I could come and check in any time I needed to because the room was ready for us. Good start right? We get there and are greeted by a bunch of grumpy people in the lobby because they thought that reserving a hotel on joeblowhotels.com without a credit card guranteed them 8 rooms all together in the same hall way. After the front desk ladies worked paitently with them they got to us. All i had to do was present my name, and a credit card, and within 5 minutes we were on our way to our room. The dark complected black headed lady at the desk was extremley nice, and the young girl who was new at the job, was trying her best to help us out too. That coulnd't have went any better than what it did.

Walking up to the room the only thing we noticed that the air in the elevator wasnt working, the hall ways were hot, and the stair wells were hot too, but man once we opened the door to our room we were all in for a surprise.

We could have hung up meat in our room (which was a good thing) the air worked great and let me tell you, that room was in tip top shape. It was huge!! (Room 235). The beds were clean, bathroom was clean, and everything was in perfect shape. The room smelled clean and it was an over all nice room. Plenty of space for 4 people! The only problem we had was a shortage of towels, but we managed. Beach towels work just as well as bath towels. Be ware of the ice machine, best time to get ice is in the middle of the night when no one is awake, it is a small one, but you can get enough to fill a small ice chest.

The best part, YOU ARE LESS THAN A MILE FROM THE BEACH!!!!! 3 minute drive or less! How great is that?? Talk about convienence!

Each time we passed a staff member we were greeted with a smile and a Good morning (Except for Brandy). She didnt seem to enjoy her job too much.

Check out was a breeze as well, just showed a credit card, ID And signed the papers. Total cost for two nights was $234.54. Not bad during beach season right?! Just remember it is 11% sales tax and a $5 hurricane fee for every night.

So over all the negative things (minor) were: hot hall way, elevator, and stairs, the shortage of towels, no ironing board (who needs that), couldnt use the room safe, room phone didnt work (Thats why we have cell phones), and because we are all OCD we noticed that there was a blue light bulb and a yellow one in the same light fixture. Other than that, there are really no down sides to this place.

Pros: Big rooms, huge bathroom (4 of us could stand in there no problem), clean rooms, friendly service (if you have paitence with them), LESS THAN A MILE FROM THE BEACH!

Just remember, it isnt the Ritz, but you arent paying for the RITZ. Make reservations early! Get a good Rate! Stay here! I reccomend this place to any one! The four of us have had an awesome vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms that are in the part of the building that sticks out a couple of feet, 235 and 237 are in this...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Louisville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I reserved my room days after the hangout festival announced the dates of the festival. That means I reserved rooms for late MAY in early January. I did so on daysinn.com. What bothers me is that I drive 9 hours to arrive at the hotel and the receptionist tell me my reservation was cancelled by my travel agent! I don't have a travel agent! Apparently daysinn.com doesn't care when you reserve a room, they'll cancel it to get a higher rate. We luckily got the last room available. It wasn't the same as what I reserved (2 beds, microfridge included), so we lived without the microfridge. When the receptionist was creating us a new check-in, i gave her my rewards number, she apparently entered it in. Now I know that she didn't because my rewards account has no history of my stay. Once we finished with the check in we went upstairs to our room. In the end of spring/start of summer in a southern place, when you are indoors it should be cool. When you walk out of the elevator and into the hallway of the second floor it is an absolute sauna and smells of mold. I looked for a thermostat, found it and it was set in the low 60s. I moved the dial even lower. That barely changed the temperature when we left our room an hour or so later.

We didn't want our room serviced, so my friend asked the housekeeper for towels and a trash bag and the housekeeper just ignored her. After attending the festival that day we asked for towels at the desk. The receptionist told us we couldn't have any towels until we turn ours in. Any normal hotel doesn't run out of towels, they keep the equivalent of towels per room times 3... they should've given us the towels and asked if we would bring the other ones down. not tell us we had to do give them to them first.

The room itself was fine. The tv turns on to a static channel, and all the channels are labeled incorrectly. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked and the tub not completely clean (hair in the drain) when we got there. The air conditioner in our room worked great, that I was happy about.

My last complaint is the poorly maintained lawn in front of the hotel. I left my car facing the lawn for the 4days/3nights, which turned out to be a terrible idea. My car was crawling with ants the whole drive back. I do not have a run down vehicle, fairly new as a matter of fact. It took a couple days after i got back to clear the ants from my car.

This was the first time I stayed at a days inn. I normally prefer hilton, marriotts, and choice hotels. I will never stay at a days inn ever again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Muscle Shoals
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here for the first and last time. We stayed June 3rd thur June 8th, it took over an hour to check in messed up our reservations. Lucky I had a copy of them I printed out. The room was awful. A/C didn't work very much, housekeeping didn't bring clean towels, didn't vacuum the floors or change the sheets. The free breakfast was awful too. The orange juice machine was broke, milk was just sitting on counter not cold or anything. The people that worked the desk was awful also. One lady looked and acted like a B word. She doesn't need to work with the public. Got home called Corp. Office. I was told I would get an email from the manager. Well called 2 weeks later they said that I would get a letter in the mail. Still nothing. Stay only if you want awful service, hot room, dirty floor and unclean towels.....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Magnuson Hotel and Suites Gulf Shores? Share your experiences!