I was in Gulf Shores for a one-day conference, so I thought I could manage one night here despite the bad reviews. This was an unfortunate oversight on my part.
1. No driveway - you literally have to drive over the sand and rocks to get in the parking lot.
2. RUDE service - I asked for dinner recommendations and was told "I'm not from around here." I asked for directions and was told "Don't even go there, 'cause I ain't from here."
3. Not so clean - I had to wash the coffee grounds from the previous occupant out of the coffeepot. The room had not been vaccuumed, either.
4. Noise - Pretty bad. Thin walls + lots of kids = loud night.
5. Wake-up call for 5 AM never arrived, and the back-up alarm that was available never went off, either.
6. Breakfast - I called down at 5:30 to ask what time breakfast started, and was told 6 AM. At 6, I arrived to a dark room with no breakfast. The desk agent leaned her head in from outside where she was on the phone, asking "you ready?" I asked if she had coffee, to which she replied she had decaf from the night before. I told her that would not work. She gave no apologies and said "Gimme fifteen minutes." At 6:15 I came back to coffee and still no breakfast. There was cereal and milk, with no spoons or bowls, as well as green bread with no plates, knives, or accompaniments.
7. Check-out - I was not asked if everything was OK or if I slept well. Instead, I got "Oooo, my stomach hurt."
Next time, I will book much further in advance to avoid this situation. I drove to a different beach town the next night and stayed at a Hampton Inn - spectacular compared to La Quinta!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.