“Saved our bacon on "Family dinner night out" in Gulf Shores” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 133 Restaurants in Gulf Shores
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Casual Family Dining Since 1987!
Cypress, Texas, USA
“Saved our bacon on "Family dinner night out" in Gulf Shores”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

After being greeted with a 2 1/2 hour wait at another local dining spot, we called Mikee's and asked if they could accomodate a party of 16. Our hot and tired group of four families showed up 10 minutes later and were greeted by two waiters dedicated to our table. We were not an easy group to manage with 8 kids and 8 adults, but they took care of us as well as we could hope for and turned a trying night into a very enjoyable one. We sampled many appetizers: fried crab claws, fried crab cakes, fried jalapeno strips, potato skins, and the cheese bread - and reports from up and down the table gave thumbs up for everything but the cheese bread of all things. I personally loved the jalapeno strips and crab cakes, both fried and grilled. I ordered one of the 'catch of the day' choices on the board: blackened snapper, and topped it with the chef's special topping which included crawfish and shrimp. It was not too rich or creamy (which was good) but very flavorful, fresh and the fish was perfectly spiced. I shared my wife's grilled crab cakes and they were also very tasty. My wife's margarita was good, my beer was cold and both reasonably priced - as was the food. The dining room was a bit loud with all of the other families dining, but as long as you aren't expecting a quiet, intimate setting it was not a downer. On the whole, the folks at our table that ordered the grilled items were more impressed with their food than the ones who ordered the fried platters and poboys. We were all too full to order desert, but it looked like they had a couple of nice choices. After dinner we walked next door for a rousing game of putt-putt golf ($5 each) and the course was challenging for a mini golf course - and quite fun, and waaaay less crowded and less expensive than some of the other courses we investigated in the area. All in all, I would happily recommend Mikee's to any families who don't relish the long waits they can expect at some of the better know flagship type establishments in Gulf Shores.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Memphis, Tennessee
“Good For Fried Seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Mikee's has a cool bar area and a funky decor. The fried seafood is better than average for the area. I like the fried oyster po boy. My wife and I typically hit it almost every trip.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Great Salad!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My daughter and I ordered the grouper plate and was looking forward to a great meal. The appetizer salad was exceptionally good, which surprised me tremendously – it consisted of iceberg lettuce (which when I saw it, I thought it was going to be an average run of the mill salad), but with the added tomatoes, shredded carrots and pecans, it was an amazing treat. Imagine my surprise when the main course, the Grouper did not live up our expectations and disappointed both me and my daughter, so I wouldn't order that again. My other daughter ordered a shrimp salad and it was beautifully presented in a big, odd-shaped bowl; she was delighted with her meal. So if I went back to Mikee's, I'd skip the Grouper and just order the salad.

Visited July 2013
Kentucky
“Gulf Shores Seafood Done Right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a party of seven and had to wait about 25 minutes. Space is limited and the noise level is high. The food was really good, jumbo shrimp appetizer was good, white fish, burgers, chicken strips, fries. Really good overall experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brentwood, Tennessee, United States
“Orange Beach Seafood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

It was very crowded , had to wait approximately 45 minutes to get a table and we were there early. I think the service is fast, just too many people in a small place. Oysters were good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere