A friend and I went out with Down Under for a two tank dive trip. Partway out to the dive site, the captain stopped the boat and the dive leader spoke with us about the prediction of high swells. None were present at all where we were, so he said that they would continue on to the site; evidently the forecast was wrong. It did appear that the water was fine.
However, when we arrived at the site, the swells were much bigger. I was sick, as were several others. After we stopped, one of the leaders, who went down to tie us off, came up saying he was beat. That should have been a sign. When we went in, I kicked for all I was worth, pulling myself along the tag line to the front of the boat to where we were to descend. It was very difficult to make headway, even with the rope. My partner and I descended, counting kick strokes over the sunken bridge structure. Still, the current and swells were so strong that we came up at least 1/8 of a mile behind the boat. The swells were so large that we couldn't even see the boat at times. Swimming back to the boat was impossible. When the boat was able to pick us up, we were at least a quarter mile away. Waiting was pretty miserable as I was still throwing up in the rough water. When the boat went back to pick up three others who were waiting; it seems they had them wait so that they could get us before we got too far away, one of the lines snapped from the tension. I missed that as I had crawled onto the deck and curled up in a sick ball along with almost all the rest of the divers. The crew came around asking if we still wanted to do the second dive. Those who were alert said no; they counted the rest of us as no's as well.
I cannot believe that this operation did not tell us that they were sorry, but that the water was too rough and we would have to go back. Instead they risked divers' safety and then put it on us to decide if we should dive again. It should have been a no from their authority with a refund for the second dive at least. We found out later that dive shops up the coast had cancelled all dives that day as had fishing boats! It appears this dive shop was more interested in money than diver safety. Both dives should have been cancelled, at the very least the second one should have, and not because the divers were too sick to make the dive and had to choose that themselves. I will not use the operation again. There is a much better one two hours away--Emerald Coast--in Destin FL. That is where we went after this wasted dive day.
If you own or manage Down Under Dive Shop, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.