“Very good food, very terrible service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 133 Restaurants in Gulf Shores
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: New Owners and Management 2014! Locally owned and operated! All food prepared and cooked on site, daily! Come try us out and leave us a review!
Nashville, Tennessee
“Very good food, very terrible service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Brisket sandwich and "Hog" sandwich were great, alongside the awesome cole slaw. Prices are great for the quality of food. Service was unpleasant, server seemed to wish no one else would come in for the rest of the night.

Visited October 2012

Round Lake Beach, Illinois
“My favorite lunch spot in Gulf Shores area, by far.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

After 4 years of vacationing in Gulf Shores with my family, I finally can say I found a restaurant that I would go back to over and over again. I can't really speak for the dining-in service, as we only took our food to go for lunch. But simply put, it was great BBQ. A restaurant having great food is really the most important thing, right? The pulled pork sandwich was great meat topped with a nice sweet bbq sauce. The brisket was nice and tender as well. However, I must say that I was most impressed with the sides, starting with the "frickles". I'm not a huge fried pickle fan, but these are a "must have". Instead of the traditional frozen-boxed fried pickle spears, these were thin pickle slices fried with a light batter. They come with a unique ranch dipping sauce that has a hint of vinegar in it. It's a delicious combo. The coleslaw has a sweet vidalia onion/mustard base that was different and absolutely delicious. The baked beans were in a thick bbq sauce with chunks of pulled pork. Even the creamy potato salad, made with the full potato and skins (I personally love that), was great. Overall, it was great food and I look forward to stopping back there next year. It's a unique little find off of the beach and well worth the experience based on the quality of the food.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Riverside, Iowa
“Smoker vs. Microwave”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Family was hungry for some BBQ and while driving spotted hog wild BBQ. Ordered full rack of ribs and brisket to go. Brisket was very good, good smoke flavor and very tender. Then came the ribs. Tasted like they were made the day before or the day before that. No smoke flavor, tuff, and the outside seemed to be dried out by the over use of a microwave. If you eat there save 21.99 for ribs and get the brisket. Service was good, but I got the food to go. I would go back if I was hungry for brisket, go somewhere else if you are hungry for ribs.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

All of the restaurants in the area had a 2 hour wait, so we stopped here, and it may have been the highlight of our week. They have some of the best barbecue I have ever eaten. It is a bar type setting with rock memorabilia covering the walls, and the bathroom is covered in graffiti. We went on Karaoke night and had a blast, but the main attraction is the food, and it is the best bargain in town.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mobile, Alabama
“Negative Experience. Dare I say, a Scam?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went for some bar b que with our restaurant.com certificate. Upon entering, the waitress we saw ignored us completely (and this is a small restaurant). We found a table, not too near the passed out drunk at the bar (ambience, right?). Anyway, another waitress came and took our order. She was a little friendlier than the first one we encountered. The food was pretty good, however, if you are familiar with restaurant.com certificates; you have to order a minimum amout (in our case, $35. to get $25 credit). It was more than we wanted, but thought, what the heck, we can take some home with us. After our meal, we went to pay and our server asked the unfriendly waitress, who by the way, turned out to be the manager; how to enter the gift certificate. The rude manager said they no longer accepted the gift certificates and that the certificates were a scam. I personally felt like she was running a scam. She said that the restaurant got nothing from the certificates. Hmm, not sure what monetary reward the restaurant receives from the restaurant.com certificates, but I thought the purpose of them was to introduce diners to restaurants that they would have otherwise passed by. I can assure you, we will pass them by in the future. We live about an hour away, and visit the beach often. After relaxing at the beach, we have dinner in a local restaurant and return home. We will not be dining at Hog Wild BBQ anymore, and I would advise everyone else to stay away as well.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere