“Nice family oriented stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE NIGHTS in 2015
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Horse cave
“Nice family oriented stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

The beach and pool were beautiful, loved it. We had a one bedroom condo with 4 Adults 2 slept on sofa sleeper that was fine but the kitchen was teeny tiny couldn't open the dishwasher without hitting the back of the recliner literally had to move it to load/unload dishes but really how often do you do dishes on vacation? It was a clean place and was enough room for what we had for the amount of time we were in there. I would suggest staying on the 2nd floor if you want to do laundry that's where the laundry room is located in the 3 story buildings

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had unit 4113 which is 2 bedrooms and 2 baths on the ground floor. The unit is pretty clean. The decor could use some updating. The pools are wonderful and the short walk to the beach was great especially with a small child. The unit had plenty of pots, pans and utensils. The guest service personnel were very professional and helpful.

Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Unit 3221 was fairly clean, however quality was compromised in every way. Beds were very uncomfortable and squeaked. Light globes were cracked or broken. Not may pots and pans for cooking all week. Towel rod in bathroom broken. Outlet in bathroom pulled from wall. There was an ant problem also. Chairs on very small balcony were weathered. Felt dirty.

West Memphis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Let me put it like this... I would have been disappointed if I would have paid more. I got this place on a hot deal for an average of $150 per night. This isn't a lot of money for a room with ocean view and walking distance to the beach. The pools were also nice and clean. The room was well equipped with a kitchen that had a fridge and ice maker. The ice maker provided enough ice for our cooler for three days. We cooked two nights and everything was in working order. This is a small studio with no privacy except for the bathroom. The tv and cable worked great. The drawback is the cleanliness of the couch and bedding. I went to Walmart and purchased my own sheets. I covered the couch with sheets also. The comforter and sheets were itchy as my daughter would describe it. I am use to soft bedding. The mattress was worn. So, like I said, I would have been really upset if I would have paid more for the place. I was given the opportunity to complete a survey after. They apologized for the bedding and said housekeeping would have brought more.

• Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Having read all the activities and ground rules on the plantations website, I assumed this would be a great place for families?? Actually, it turned out to be a great place for parents to ignore their children while they get drunk. It's also a great place to drink bottled beer on the beach, then sink it in the ocean for others to step on. If you're a smoker... just throw your butts all over the beach; kids love their sandcastles with cigarette butts in them. And if you're the lazy family who brings a day's worth of food and drink to the beach, just leave your trash behind when you leave; let others enjoy it.

And to the Plantation... Consider a beach patrol; don't be so cheap. Also, keep someone in those empty offices on the bottom floor of the Dunes and other buildings; have them police all the parentless kids running around playing in the elevators, saunas and hot tubs. Get a watch guard to police the outside grounds and pools. The place feels like a lawless town where anything goes. Don't expect people to have respect for others and their happiness; they can't even take care of their own children.

Bottom line is, the place is ok, but some of the visitors are just plain idiots; they should have to take a course on manners and respect before going out in public; Seriously; Lot's of douche bag parents out there.

The condo: 5611 in the Dunes. Clean (not my kind of clean but clean enough). It was a cozy 2 bedroom 2 bath; beach themed furniture. The only thing I'd say to the owner is, take out a few unnecessary pieces of furniture, like the stand in the doorway; serves no purpose but is always in the way. Coffee tables?? Personally I don't like them; they make the room feel smaller and I rarely use them. The family sized dining table in such a small place?? I'd downsize to a breakfast nook...IMO; we used it to hold our beach gear that's about it. Also, the bedroom T.V. is on a cart lower than the bed... Try lying down and watching T.V. ; doesn't work. The place was well equipped with all the kitchenware a person could ever need; There was a personal fan under the bathroom sink; came in handy; Shoebox storage under the bed; nifty. A real vacuum in the closet so we could keep loose sand cleaned up. Lastly, because not a lot of people are electricians, I'd mark the outlets that are controlled by light switches; this threw my kids for a loop when their gaming devices would go on and off when their mother was trying to figure out what the light switch controls. Now they know.

My overall rating of the Plantation is average but our vacation itself was awesome. My advice, is to travel. Take the ferry over to Dauphin Island; Go on a dolphin tour at Orange Beach; Go on a fishing charter at Perdido Key, even if you don't like fishing; Eat at Tacky Jacks in Orange Beach and also a few miles west of the plantation towards Ft. Morgan; Also, the restaurant "Behind the Pines" which is right behind the nearest gas station, thrift store, pizza shop (a mile east of plantation), has pretty good food; Don't forget to get you some souvenir's at the Souvenir Shop on Gulf Shores Pkwy; Go golfing, miniature or 18 hole; play tennis.... whatever. Don't expect to entertain your family for a week at The Plantation.

Room Tip: CALL FIRST; TALK TO A HUMAN BEING... Ask about the particular condo you're interested in. Ask if...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Midlothian, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at Gulf Shores Plantation in the Dunes bldg, room 5808. Condo is cozy but very nice, clean and well stocked. We had a great view of the beach & pools. Water/beach area was wonderful. It was busy on Sunday but much less crowded during the week. Pools weren't that crowded either. There was also a store that had Starbucks coffee, sandwiches, smoothies and adult beverages. We would definitely stay here again!

Monticello, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family always has a great experience every time we come here. They have beautiful beaches, plenty of pools to choose from, and I loved that we now have parasail and jet skis offered there. You don't have to go up town with all of the hassle. The staff is very friendly as always, and they make your stay worth while.

Room Tip: I chose a room that was convenient for my family. I had a baby so I didn't want to be on the top...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Gulf Shores Plantation? Share your experiences!