“Would not be my first choice of "near beach" properties” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Foley
Mobile
“Would not be my first choice of "near beach" properties”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Front desk staff was friendly at check-in and check-out. Because the rooms open to the outside, we had no other contact with the staff.

The bottom line: it is a motel - not a hotel; not an inn. All rooms open to the outside, which means lots of bugs inside the rooms during the Alabama summer. We did not have an issue with roaches mentioned by other reviewers, but had a significant influx of a variety of flying insects.

The first floor room was relatively small compared to other rooms in the area. As mentioned, the room opens onto the parking lot - a wee bit disconcerting for a mom and daughter traveling alone. The king size bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The room included a small table with two straight chairs, a small refrigerator (no freezer) and a microwave. The carpet should have been removed years ago - it was very stained and no amount of steam cleaning would improve its appearance. It was, however, clean - white socks stayed white after walking on it.

The bathroom was very small and my pet peeve, skimping on towels, was an issue -- 3 bath towels, 2 wash cloths, and 2 hand towels. Corners of the bathroom floor had not seen cleaning solution in quite a while. Large vanity area but no place to store toiletries for a longer stay. No closet - just a rod in the vanity area.

The room was quite chilly when we arrived and when my 12 year old daughter attempted to adjust the temperature the heat came on - spewing enough smoke/fumes that the smoke detector was activated.

Breakfast did not even qualify as a continental breakfast. The only "hot" food is a do-it-yourself waffle maker. Other than that there was a choice of bread, bagel or blueberry muffin. For the child with a wheat allergy there was nothing but a few tiny containers of yogurt. Not even a piece of fruit. We had to stop at the Krystal down the street to grab a bite before heading to the beach.

The pool area is tiny, though the children we saw seemed to enjoy it. Because of the security issue of leaving a 12 year old girl in a room that opens to the parking lot, I did not risk a trip to the small exercise room and cannot evaluate what it had to offer.

In summary, if you are looking for a bare bones spot that is near the beach and relatively cheap, this motel fits the bill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Conrad R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Riviera Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You left a great review that my staff and I can use to improve on our overall experience for our guest. The breakfast area is our number one area that I am trying to improve upon and adding more food choices to our breakfast. Once again thank you for choosing Best Western Riviera Inn, In Foley AL and hopefully you will give us another chance as over the next two years we our renovating Best Western Riviera Inn with new furniture in all rooms and expanding on our breakfast and many more great renovations to give everyone a great experience with us.

Best Western Riviera Inn
251-943-8600

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Rooms were really nice & clean but we did not get the downstairs rooms that we reserved a week ahead of our stay there and we ended up with upstairs room. We are in the 70s age and have trouble climbing the stairs & hauling up our suitcases.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Monroeville, Alabama, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We enjoyed everything about our stay, except the fact that not once, but three times we had to kill roaches right next to the bed. I really did not like that. The roaches really upset me. I am scared of them ,and next to the bed. This has me really thinking about if we should find another favorite spot or not. Everything but that was great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Conrad R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Riviera Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I will assure you that we implement a biweekly treatment for our property and apologize for any bug found in your room. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 251-9438600.

VM/GM
Lacombe, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We paid for 2beds and only got 1. The room was good not enough towels and did not have a blanket. The pool was good but the breakfast buffet needs to have different food added.the staff was friendly and willing to try to help. When I got the receipt it had my name,confirmation number and a totally different amount that was paid. It had the wrong credit card number and the wrong address.i booked with Expedia like I always do.I had to call Expedia to find out the information I needed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Conrad R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Riviera Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I hope you enjoyed your stay here at the Best Western Riviera Inn. I would like to take the time to first thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs. I did get a chance to also review your other responses left on third party sites and our Medalia page. On behalf of my staff and I would like to apologize for you only getting one bed and not two during your stay. I will agree with our breakfast needing to be updated. As of this year we will be expanding our breakfast to a hot breakfast and also expanding the breakfast area to where the apartment-office space is now to double the breakfast area by at least two times. Giving our guest a much better experience and more enjoyable spacious area to eat and relax in the mornings. I sure hope in the future you will give us another look the next time you are in Foley or wanting to visit the Beaches of Gulf Shores or Orange Beach.

Best Western Riviera Inn
Childersburg, Alabama, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The room was very, very nice and clean. I had never stayed at a Best Western, but was surprized. The service was good but breakfast was just ok, it beats nothing. Waffle, cereal and yogurt,muffins. Good

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Conrad R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Riviera Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing Best Western Riviera Inn for your lodging needs. My team members and I appreciate your positive feedback and hope you will come back to see us again real soon. Once again thank you for staying with us here at the Best Western Riviera Inn.

Effingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed 4 nights and was completely satisfied with the room and consider it an excellent value. From making reservations to check out the staff was excellent. I made an extension to the original reservation. That required a change in rooms and the staff found one near my first. All the basics of the room were covered: everything I touched or saw was clean, the bed was comfortable, the towels and washcloth felt good, hot water was always available, the shower head had a good spray, the lavatory area was spacious, it has a frig and microwave, there was a table and plug-in that could be used for computers and the wifi worked. The location of the parking and the outside stairs and room entry were convenient for me. The location of the motel was almost ideal for my stay.

I had 3 items which were minor for me. Two of the plastic things by which hangers attach to the rod came apart even though I think I had things gently. The lavatory in the first room drained slowly--it did drain however. I did not need to do laundry while there but observed it is in a covered breezeway that would have been unpleasant during the cool windy days I was there. It is possible there may be other laundry facilities inside.

The last 3 nights when I returned the No Vacancy sign was up so the motel was desirable to a good many customers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Conrad R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Riviera Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2013

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Conrad Reimche
general manager
BEST WESTERN Riviera Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Riviera Inn? Share your experiences!