“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa

You added Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Cox Creek Parkway South, 10 Hightower Place, Florence, AL 36530   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Florence
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying in one of their suites (Handy), and it was awesome. the hotel staff were great, and I enjoyed both the bar and the restaurant. the nearby attractions were very nice. Just a great staycation away from home.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a view of the river, awesome.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Everything is first rate and staff we have encountered have been very pleasant. The facility is beautiful with a wonderful view of the are off the balcony You should Prepare yourself for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Williamsport TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed 2 nights during the W C Handy Music festival. It's a great place to stay and a great little town. All the rooms have a view of the river and damn. They have a great pool for kids. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room as high up as possible to get the best view.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My fiancé and I were in bed watching television and I looked over and saw a bug crawling on the pillow only inches away from his face! We immediately got out of bed and he saw another one on the back of my pajama shirt.

We called the front desk and a 20-something year old security person came up. When he saw the one from my shirt he said it was a tick. Instead of saving it to show someone, he threw it out in the bathroom! Thank goodness we saved the other one in a glass. I showed him the one in the glass and the two others that were also on the pillow.

He asked what he could do for us, and I told him he could start with getting us a new room. He was able to do that for us. However, when I called downstairs to speak with the night manager, he told me he couldn’t do anything until 6:30am the next morning because that was when someone would be there to look at the bug we saved.

The next morning we went to the front desk and the LP Manager came out to speak with us. She was very apologetic. Due to family commitments we had to stay at the hotel another night, so she offered to credit the second night’s stay. This is what I expected, and was pleased with this response. However then she told me what we found were not bed bugs, but beetles! I explained how there were a number of them, but she insisted they were beetles. I have to say I disagree – I did some research on the web and the photographs I found looked exactly like what we found in our room.

Of course after such an event, every spot, stain, lint becomes a check for “is it another bug”? No, we did not find any more bugs, but what we did notice is the lack of cleaning. Urine around the base of the toilet, the bathroom floor did not appear to be mopped for several days. The next morning, in the Swamper’s restaurant, French Fries on the floor, at breakfast! Did no one sweep/vacuum the floor from the night before? Straws and food scraps around on the pool deck, where no one had swept/cleaned the pool deck and area. In the 2 days and 2 nights we were there, only once did I see a person with a broom attempting to clean up an area.
Even though the LP manager was very accommodating after the incident, I definitely wouldn’t stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1222
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shoals_GM, General Manager at Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Marriott Shoals. I deeply regret that your experience was a negative one. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. I also wanted to assure you that we take this matter very seriously. We contract with Ecolab for our pest control needs. We have had your room inspected after you notified us of this issue and I am pleased to announce that they found no evidence of bed bugs and have certified the room safe for occupancy. I can’t explain what types of bugs that you experienced in your room. Obviously, this is inexcusable and I am glad that my staff reacted appropriately by adjusting the charges for your room. We take great pride in our service and strive to make every guest experience perfect. I assure you that your experience with us was not typical. For the past 3 years we have been ranked as the #1 Marriott in North America for customer satisfaction and our cleanliness scores have always been among the top in the company ever since we have opened. I hope that you will give us another chance and be our guest again.
Corinth, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have stayed here maybe a dozen times. Enjoy it every single time. Our room is always very clean and the staff very accommodating. We went on a Saturday night, and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Lot going on, everyone entertained.

Repeat Customer Advice: go downstairs to Swampers in the morning and ask for the buffet. Get Ms. Gail to make you an omelette!! They are wonderful!! She is always so nice, always smiling and a wonderful cook! (I don't even LIKE omelettes! But I love her's!)

Overall, always a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: They all overlook the pool and river. All have balconies.
alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

As I was driving in to the hotel through Muscle Shoals, which by the way was wholly unimpressive, I decided not to have very high expectations of this hotel. However,let me say that it was beautiful. The lobby was impressive with its open atrium and curved fish tank and fountain. The rooms were of standard Marriott size and very clean. Our view from the 3rd floor was great. We were in the low numbers on our floor which was plenty far enough away from the pool noise. There were LOTS of families with children of various ages staying there and they were in the pool late. That aside, every staff member we encountered from the maintenance guys to our housekeeper and the room service girl were very friendly and polite. The pool was amazing and if you have small children, there is a splash pad a short walk away down a path behind the hotel. The grounds were immaculate as were the public spaces. The only major problem we had was parking. It was terrible. If you didn't secure a spot by 700pm, forget trying to find one. One night we didn't get back the hotel until 930pm and had to find a spot way over at the convention center which was quite a hike away. Overall, I really liked the hotel and if I ever make it back, this will be where I stay.

Room Tip: Floors above 3 and with either very high ending numbers such as 1331 or very low numbers such as 130...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stay here a few times a year and have never been disappointed! We travel with a service animal and requested a low floor close to an exit. They gave us a great spot! We ate at Swampers and the food and service was excellent. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!