“Nice hotel, but problems with booking.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa

You added Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Cox Creek Parkway South, 10 Hightower Place, Florence, AL 36530   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Winter Special
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Florence
Metro-Detroit
“Nice hotel, but problems with booking.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this resort when some friends and I were in town to watch the Division II National Football Championship game. The hotel is beautiful and the grounds are very nice. We had trouble with our reservations, though, as we had booked a room with 2 double or queen beds, and they put us in a room with only one king. We ended up having air mattresses brought in after they were unable to give us a room that would accommodate 4 adults. They were booked at capacity, and we understood that, but we were still unhappy with the sleeping arrangements, as we had booked a week prior to our arrival. Overall, the stay was OK, but would probably stay elsewhere if ever to go to Florence again.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Checked in on Saturday July 30, 2011 for 1 night. The room had 2 queen beds and we requested to change to a room with a king bed. The desk staff quickly responded and sent up an employee from the bell stand to help move our luggage to the new room. The new room had a direct view of the Tenn. River and bluffs along with the shoreline and pool area.

We went to happy hour in the Swampers bar and then went over and ate at the 360 restaurant that evening and it was not very busy. I had the American kobe beef dish and it was very good. A full 1 hour goes by per revolution and they time it so you at least get 1 full 360 view during your dining experience. The only comment I have is that it is very expensive for dinner compared to the geographice area. As I am used to higher priced restaurants it didn't bother me so much, but after I moved to the area I soon realized that they are over priced in my opinion despite the good food and service.

After dinner we went back to the swampers bar to listen to their Saturday night live entertainment. My recommendation is to show up about an hour before the band begins playing in order to get a good and comfortable seat in addition to getting a server who will bring you drinks and appetizers. If you wait too close to the music start time you will be unable to find a place to sit down and relax.

The next morning I ate breakfast in the sitdown restaurant next to the bar and it was very good. I promptly got my luggage loaded up and headed off to the meetings I had scheduled for that afternoon. All in all a good experience and I would recommend visitors to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here Christmas Night. We didn't have a reservation, but were checked-in promptly. Even though they were working on Christmas, the entire staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a great outdoor seating area with gas fire pits overlooking the river and dam. (The TripAdvisor map is about 3 miles off as the hotel is right on the Tennessee River at Wilson Dam.) The food was tasty, as was our right on time room service breakfast the next morning. All rooms have a riverview and a two-person sized balcony. A very pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel sits on a nice piece of property overlooking the Tennessee River, with walking trails and a play area. Overall, it's in good condition, and saw no major areas of concern. We were upgraded to a suite because of Marriott Platinum status. Our Marriott profile requests an upper floor, away from the elevator, but we were given a suite on the 2nd floor, next to the elevator, so completely opposite of my preferences. Often, it seems the hotel staff have no access to Marriott profiles or bother to check them out, even for their Platinum status members. The hotel is convenient to the city and the points of interest there.

The breakfast in the restaurant wasn't that good, as some of the items seemed to have a "left over" taste. If you have need to stay in this area, I would certainly recommend this property, as most other hotels seem to be lower-tier, less amenity driven hotels, and your options are limited.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Madisonville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed here with my husband & six-year-old daughter. My husband was here for a work conference & our daughter was on fall break, so we had a family week together. Everything was clean & in working order. My husband thought the room never got cool enough & that there was an odor, but I didn't feel the same way. My daughter & I used the indoor pool twice & had the place to ourselves both times: very clean, towels were provided at the pool, & there was music piped in. All staff we encountered were nice. I had no problem driving to the mall, restaurants, & other shopping centers in town. Our daughter enjoyed the playground, but we would have never known it was there if my husband hadn't been walking by it every day to go to the convention center.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Rienzi, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Shoals Hotel and Spa for a romantic weekend getaway. Service was good. The room was comfortable and well-appointed. The bathroom was clean. My favorite part of our stay there was the balcony that overlooked the pool and the Tennessee River. At the end of October, the view was gorgeous.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011 via mobile

My stay at the Shoals Marriott was great. I stayed for 3 consecutive weeks (weekdays only) during September 2011. The hotel is truly beautiful from the inside of the hotel, to the exterior, including the grounds and landscaping. The carpet is starting to show it's age in a few places and a couple of my rooms had a different smell to them but overall the hotel is very good. The rooms are a little bit small but are nicely equipped with a large LCD TV and a separate shower and bath. All rooms have a balcony and most have a great view of Wilson Dam and the Tennessee River.

The bar, which is open to the lobby, is always a friendly and active atmosphere with live acoustic sets almost every evening. The acts are local and are extremely talented and just what one would want after a hard day's work. There are happy hour specials which are too good to pass up and I highly recommend the buffalo wings and chicken tenders. Very good ford at a very good price.

The customer service at this Marriott exceeds even the most demanding traveller and Kimberly and Kaye in the concierge lounge are especially gracious. The only exception to this is a minor issue, but I will list it here. Upon checkout from the hotel, I had a minor issue with my stay and I brought it to the attention of the front desk. I never heard any reply to my concern until I listed the problem here on Trip Advisor. I was then contacted by the general manger of the hotel who resolved the issue and handled my concerns. I wish that the hotel would have taken my concerns seriously before they were discussed on Trip Advisor, but it is what is. The hotel is more concerned with reputation than with the actual complaint.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel in spite of the lack of initial response from my complaint. There is not a better hotel for at least 50 miles in every direction.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!