“Not a bad stay, but could be much cleaner...” 3 of 5 stars

Guest House International Inn & Suites
1075 Ross Clark Circle, Dothan, AL 36303   |
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Dothan
Marietta, Georgia
“Not a bad stay, but could be much cleaner...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

We were visiting a relative who is at the Southern Alabama Medical Center and the nurses there told us that a lot of families stay across the street from the hospital at the Guest House and they understand that there is a discount for hospital families. Not knowing anything about the area or having time to research, we took their advice. The result was acceptable but deficient.

Whether we actually got a discount is unknown since we don't know what the regular prices are but we paid $59/night for a king bed room. The doors open to the exterior parking lot and not interior halls.

Positives are: the hotel is very convenient to the hospital, only half a block away and there is a MacDonalds at the front of the parking lot so getting coffee is easy. It's possible to leave the hotel and be in the ICU in less than five minutes and that can be important. The room itself was free of any evidence of mold, seemed to have been painted reasonably, and the fixutres were all working. At first appearance, the room seemed to be quite good and clean. There was plenty of hot water at all times and the pressure of the water was acceptable. There is a flat screen TV, a refrigerator, two (!) small microwaves, iron and board. NO hairdryer. The bed was comfortable and firm, but if you like fluffy pillows, take some of your own. If we have to come back here, we'll bring more pillows. Despite being adjacent to the highways, the room (facing the back) was quiet and we were not affected by any noise. The traffic in the parking lot seemed to die down after about 9pm and there was not a lot of activity. The TV is satellite and seemed to work well with plenty of channel selection.

Negatives: though the internet is fast there are absolutely no instructions anywhere on how to connect so if you stay there, connect to the linksys link and it will work. The exterior of the place is not attractive and needs attention. There seemed to be no security and a lot of traffic in the parking lot - people pulling up and leaving, talking to residents without leaving their cars. There was rust on the clothes hanger bars and on the top of the refrigerator. The position of the tub-surround and the curtain is such that water was constantly getting on the floor during showers, despite all efforts to the contrary.

The real problem was cleanliness of the floors. The carpet was dirty around the baseboards and the corners, and it's clear that they don't regularly clean that area - probably just run the vacuum out the middle and to the baseboards. That tendency is even more evident in the bathroom, It appears that they push the door open against the wall and run a mop through across the floor but miss the corners, the area behind the toilet and behind the door, where there is a considerable amount of detritis, such that at one point I dropped a washcloth on that floor and would not use it again. Much attention needs to be given to these areas. If they did that, the rating would go up considerably.

As far as recommending this hotel: the room price of the hotel exceeds its overall appearance and condition but is overridden by convenience to the hospital. And for us, that also overrides the cleanliness issue in the bathroom, though we were constantly aware of it and dealing iwth it. If I had to stay here for several days, I might bring some cleaner and clean the floor myself. I would recommend this hotel if you are there to visit the hospital or if you need a one night place to crash.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Springfield, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I made my reservatin online for myself as well as several other couples in our family. We were coming from different directions, so we would arrive at different times.I called and made the reservations, using my credit card and gave the names of all parties involved. the first signof trouble wasacall from the first to arrive,and there was no reservation. So I called the res line and they "straightened it out". One we arrived (after over 13 hrs of driving) Our res was missing!!. The desk person claimed there was no reservation and did not even attempt to call to get it straigtened out. I had to call while standing at the desk,staring at the clerk. There was no apology,no comp, the clerk acted as if they were doing me a favor. Honestly-the money I saved was not worth the headache. The room was not bad for the money, and was clean enough. I will still never use this company ever again, because I cannot trust that they will keep their word. Considering I reserved 5 rooms, I would have at least expected an apology.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
rjw102
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Hotel was worse than gross! Walked into the room, and it stunk. the bathroom was dirty. there was a grey ring of something in the toilet bowl that didnt go away. the toilet was leaking which soaked our carpet. There was hair in the sheets of the bed! We went to go leave the hotel for the day, and saw a huge spider on the ceiling. We asked for a different room, because the hotel was clearly vacant, and he said he would come and fix the toilet instead of switching us to make us happy. DO NOT STAY HERE! Worst hotel that i have stayed at in my life, and i travel for business and stay at many hotels!

• Liked — NOTHING!!
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ALABAMA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly It is close to a lot of things as in shopping. It is close to the Georgia state line. The parking lot though, is like a bypass for the local people for a major intersection. I was very unhappy at the charge for allowing pets to stay. But will still stay there again if the chance comes around.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the cost of taking my pets with me
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Guest House International Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!