“Unexpected stay in Decatur.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Decatur
Kitchener, Canada
“Unexpected stay in Decatur.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here in January on our way to Santa Rosa Beach Florida.There was an ice storm and we were advised to stop before Cullman.So we decided to go to Decatur and it was a pleasant surprise.The hotel staff were very friendly and especially a young man named Jay who checked us in at the desk.Our accomodations were very comfortable and clean and we had an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights for work. The construction was only a minor inconvenience & the hotel is in need of updating so it was not an issue. Hopefully the rooms will be updated after the lobby. The breakfast in the cafe was a pleasant surprise. Most staff was very pleasant with one exception. The 2nd night my key wouldn't work (had not been asked how many keys I wanted at check in so I did not have another key to try). When I went to the desk, the young lady checked & told me the key expired that day. When I expressed my displeasure with the situation (my 2 night stay was confirmed at check in),no apology was offered. I was told bluntly "don't take it out on me, I didn't do it." I mentioned that situation to the gentlemen working the next morning. They were wonderful--genuinely apologetic.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jatavius L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Decatur, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our guest leave satisfied. Please accept my sincere apology for the poor customer service you experienced. It is definitely not an accurate reflection of the hotel because we do strive for excellent customer service. We look forward to the next time you are in Decatur so that we can show you our true southern hospitality.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Travelling on business, I am looking for convenience, security, and a good night's sleep. Upon arrival, I was unable to enter at the front of the hotel due to construction. A sign directed guests to the side entrance. There was no available parking, so I had to park at the curb near a dumpster and walk across the parking lot, which could use more lighting (I checked in at night). Check-in was easy and friendly, and they provided a bottle of water and a cookie. I found my room to be quiet and sufficient - about what you would expect. Breakfast is provided for $5 extra, and consists of cereals, muffins, fruit, and cook to order offerings such as omelets, etc. Aside from the construction inconvenience, no complaints.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear DSJMom,

We truly regret the inconvenience of the construction taking place causing guest such as yourself to use a different entrance. We are going through the renovation to help improve the overall hotel and satisfy our guest. On behalf of the management and staff here at the Courtyard by Marriott in Decatur we want to thank you for your loyalty as well as your feedback. We hope you will be back in the area to see the finish product.

Jackson, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

This is an expected-quality hotel for this chain. Its guest rooms are becoming dated, but we did note that they are in the process of updating the lobby. The beds were fine, and the rooms of adequate size. Very clean, but I didn't like the prevalent scent of a cleaning chemical all over the hotel. This may be a personal preference issue.
The staff of the hotel is exceptional!!! So friendly and willing to go the extra mile.
We would stay there again. Will be a very nice Courtyard with some updating.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jatavius L, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Decatur, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Hello Mstraveler2013,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Courtyard Decatur. Yes, we are in the middle of a renovation and look forward to the finish results. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Courtyard by Marriott
256-355-4446
Lake Charles, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Hotel is a little dated for a Marriott but they're starting a remodeling program. Their bathroom tile makes it feel a little "dirty" but as I said, they are starting a remodeling program so hopefully that improves. It probably wasn't dirty but it didn't feel clean. Friendly service, they were even offering snacks or appetizers at night since they were making noise with the remodeling. Good location on a main road.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and ice machine. It's like the ice machine was trying to make an ice rink...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I called last minute. was able to get a room. front desk employee(Rhonda) was very good at making my stay. relaxing. it was the xmas holiday.even though the staff would have rather been at home with there family. you never knew.the next day breakfast was good. at the in house buffet. for the price and location. you cannot go wrong.thanks manager. Jatavius. for having a clean hotel. and great team.

Room Tip: If you have a big family get the suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
gulfcoast florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Before a weekend stay at the Decatur Courtyard, I contacted them to ask for a feather free room.
I was impressed by their handling of my request, which was excellent. Besides their consideration, I found their desk staff to be friendly and their breakfast well above my expectations.
I alsways wish that courtyards had a makeup mirror for us womenn- that's my suggestion!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Decatur? Share your experiences!