“Good food, but no healthy options whatsoever” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Smyrna, Tennessee
“Good food, but no healthy options whatsoever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The food at Wintzell's is amazing -- if you don't mind eating unhealthy. Almost everything on the menu is fried. You can get chilled shrimp, but it comes with a side of hush puppies and other heavily-buttered or fried side items.

I've been to Wintzell's once before, and ordered the fried crab cakes, and they were very delicious. This time, though, I'm watching my calories and found it very hard to find anything that fit within my low-fat/low-cal requirements.

I ordered the Low Country Boil, which may be the healthiest thing on the menu, despite featuring a nice helping of kielbasa. It was well-cooked, well-seasoned, served in a paper sack piping hot (the way it should be) and came with lemons to add some extra flavor. It was all very, very good.

The service was good, not excellent. My mother-in-law had to return her iced tea because of a foreign object in the glass. We think it was just a piece of paper from the straw, but that is something that should have been noticed before the drinks were delivered. It took longer than I would have expected to receive our food, and my father-in-law (a frequent Wintzell's customer) commented that it was the slowest they'd ever been while he was there -- and the restaurant wasn't particularly crowded.

All in all, I would revisit Wintzell's, if I didn't mind cheating on my diet or eating something really bad for you that tastes really, really good. But, as long as I'm sticking to healthy options, I will be staying away from this place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Decatur, Alabama
“Just plain nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just plain super nice, friendly workers and pretty good food. The best atmosphere you can hope to find.

Visited August 2012
Cullman, Alabama, United States
“Love the atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The alligator tails are awesome and the ribeye steak and shrimp was great. The staff was supper. We sat on the patio and it was nice.

Visited April 2012
Decatur, Alabama, United States
“Okay..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you cannot get to the Gulf and you want Seafood, Wintzells is your best bet here in Decatur. But all I can say is it is a good substitute, nothing special!

Visited June 2012
Elkmont, Alabama, United States
“EATING @IT'S BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Been to the Decatur Oyster House 4 times now,their fried green beans and pickles are to die for and they have the best Jumbo Shrimp I ever ate and their Fish is delicious .prices could be better and service is slow but food worth the wait .....

• Visited June 2012