“Beautiful area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dauphin Island Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dauphin Island
Dauphin Island Campground
You added Dauphin Island Campground to your Saves list
109 Bienville Boulevard, Dauphin Island, AL 36528   |
“Beautiful area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014 via mobile

Loved the easy beach access. Was a little worried about rain after reading other reviews, but we had all sunny weather so no flooding issues. Wonderful place to buy fresh seafood close by...Skinners. Husband caught hammerhead shark fishing from the beach. Camped here in a motor home. All sizes of rigs, some long-term, and some tents. WiFi signal weak. Nice, helpful management in the office. Easy to use gate access.

• Stayed September 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
equus197@yahoo.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

This is a nice hidden gem of a campground that we will definitely go back to. This campground is steps away from a private (dog friendly) beach and boarders on the Audubon Bird Sanctuary with trail heads to both the beach and Sanctuary on site. The sites are nice, shady, and kid and dog friendly. There is a laundry on site, a decent playground for kids, and a small off leash area for dogs. The only reason I give it 4 stars is the bathrooms, while clean, are a bit dated

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

With a bird sanctuary attached to the campsite, and the ocean only steps away, we loved our stay here. The gulf offers warm waters, and Dauphin Island is a hidden gem along its shores. Fishing is fantastic. Facilities at the campsite are well maintained, the owners are accessible and flexible on payment should you need to leave early. All in all, a very well run family campground.

• Stayed July 2014
Webb City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I had never heard of Dauphin Island until we were invited to go camping with friends of ours. I'm not a big Gulf Coast guy for to me, it's not really the ocean but we thought might as well go, if nothing else just to be with our friends. We are both certainly glad we did ! We went over Memorial Day weekend so the campsite was pretty full but since we were tent camping, we didn't have a lot of people around us for most brought their RV's. The service when we first arrived was outstanding and it stayed that way the entire trip. Anytime we had a question about either the area or the campground itself, the helpful staff always had a nice smile and that long southern draw. They were great! Campground itself was pretty nice, bathrooms were really clean and nicely set up. There were quite a few people there but that made it more interesting, to listen and watch all the goings on with everyone from different parts of the Country. There were a couple of beach accesses, just a short walk away. The beach, wow, GREAT! It was nice white sandy beaches, soft powder and the water was greener than most parts of the Gulf but reminded me more of the Carribean than anything and the water was nice and warm but not hot, you certainly could enjoy it. Even with it being Memorial day and the Campground busy, there wasn't that many on the beach, it's almost like it's own private beach. There was plenty of shoreline so if you didn't want to be right up against someone, you didn't have to be. We highly recommend coming down. It was a long trip from Southwest Missouri but worth it! We are already planning on coming back. I would suggest that you stop at Wal-Mart or another store to get all your supplies. There's one little store on the Island but it's not much more than a gas station. It's not that big of a deal for there's plenty of stores on the way to the Island where you can pick up what you need. Go, enjoy yourself and this simply Great campground!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

It's a little tough to nail down this review because this is a mixed bag. It is a great location. You will likely have a great time due to the close proximity of the beach, bird sanctuary, good fishing, and attractions like Ft Gaines. So here is what I think is helpful to know:
1. It's better to carry everything in with you because shopping, even for food, is very limited.
2. It is very easy to get to, a fairly straight shot off the Interstate to the island.
3. While the ride may be "big rig friendly" I wouldn't say that about the campground. Here's why:
4. The sites do not have concrete pads. The Mobile area has some of the highest annual rainfall in the country. So, heavy rig in sand and mud? And the driveways are not paved either.
5. The bathrooms are not as nice as what I usually find at state parks. They are certainly old. I did see staff cleaning them. I walked through them a time or 2 for the purposes of leaving a review. Let's just say I'm glad I had a bathroom in my camper.
6. The beach access is a very easy walk.
7. There is a bird sanctuary adjacent to the campground and it was awesome.
8. There are many locals who come there frequently and they were very nice and helpful with information.
9. The staff? Well I had a reservation and when we arrived they informed me the previous guest on my site decided not to leave. They went on to say that many of the sites were flooded (hence previous note on rainfall). They were neither apologetic nor forthcoming with any ideas. It was weird. So I told them I'm riding around to find a site. Basically I solved their problem for them.
10. With all the rain and no concrete or paving, many of the sites are not level. Bring your levelers RVers! And get ready to adjust them in the sinking sandy soil.

So yes, it's a great area. You will likely have a great time. It's easy to get to and your close to many things to do.

• Stayed April 2014
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Wonderful best kept secret in the Gulf Coast. We traveled from WI with our travel trailer and found the campground to be a great respite from the cold and unending winter. The facilities and staff were excellent. The "snow birds" were welcoming and warm. We found this to be a great place to get off the grid for a while. WiFi is only available if you went to the pavilion, but hey I found this to be a great deterrent from me checking work emails!! Loved it!! Dauphin Island is the antithesis of Gulf Shores which has become very commercial and crowded since my days of vacationing with my parents in the 70's. I will come back to Dauphin Island with my family. A+++

Room Tip: Request a site in "Yellow" area, sites are large and near the beach access.