“Best chicken around” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 80 Restaurants in Daphne
Cuisines: American
“Best chicken around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The best fried chicken I've had and that includes my grandmother. Service was great and atmosphere was cool and laid back!!

Pensacola, Florida
“Great attmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We arrived with a group of about 25. Waite staff was friendly, and did a great job getting our drinks and food order put in. This is not fast food. But well worth the wait. Chicken was cooked perfectly and the sides were great. highly recommended.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Was really hungering for some good home cooked fried chicken that I didn't have to sweat over so i Googled fried chicken in Mobile, Al. Came up with the usual suspects and ...Champy's. Read the reviews, looked at the photos on their website and decided it was something to try. Husband is Mississippi bred and loves the tamales that have been a Delta staple for years. We had the day off, so came across the bay and found Champy's. It is in a little strip of stores next to the CVS and when we got there, soccer was on tv and the place was packed, one table remaining. There are tv's all over and plenty of Christmas lights strung everywhere, kind of a funky little place. We were waited on immediately and then for rest of the meal had two servers who couldn't have been more attentive and courteous. We ordered the six tamale basket. They were excellent, hot, spicy and just downright yummy. Husband had the two piece dark, I had three piece dark, with a change in one of the pieces, no problem and no extra charge. The chicken is cooked to order, so it's not "fast" food. The plates came out steaming and as mentioned in previous reviews, melting the plates! Oh my gosh, the chicken was delicious. Lightly seasoned, crispy, juicy and tender. Wow, it's better than the fried chicken I make and I've been doing it for years! The scrumptious surprise was the side of baked beans. I am not a baked bean eater, but these were a mix of beans with peppers, onions and spices. There wasn't a bean left on the table. The slaw is very mild, which is what is needed to accent the bold flavors of the tamales, chicken and beans. My only suggestion would be to change the soda offerings...they serve Pepsi products instead of Coke. We were forced to have an ice cold bottle of beer instead! Oh the sacrifices we make! All in all, I would recommend as a laid back place to get some good grub. We will be going back soon.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Robertsdale, Alabama
“Don't see what the big deal is...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My sister-in-law was raving about their chicken, but honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. It is greasy... and the salads and sides really feel like something I could make at home. Nice atmosphere, though!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best fried chicken with an upbeat, rhythm and blues atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The fried chicken is always fresh and flavorful, and the sides are ALL wonderful. The music and decor has an authentic rhythm and blues feel. It is a great place to enjoy the best fried chicken or smoked wings around, and a place to enjoy friends or family in this upbeat atmosphere. The service is excellent as well!!!!

• Visited March 2014