“Nice older hotel in Cullman” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Cullman
Douglas, GA
“Nice older hotel in Cullman”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Nice hotel overall, well managed and professional staff. Older Holiday Inn Express that is probably due a new renovation. There were a couple eye soars in my room because the bathroom handle in the shower had a bad fiberglass fix job and the towel hanger wasn't level. Also the bathroom tub took forever to drain. I didn't pay for this stay as a work colleague of mine did instead, but here they are high. I usually stay at the Comfort Suites here since I have a better discount with them. Comparing this hotel to other Holiday Inn Express's of this caliber I'd say the rate should be in the $75 to $90 range, but like I said not exactly sure what their actual rate is, but based on other reviews it is much higher.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! It is interesting that you mentioned a renovation because this is the year for us! We are renovating our hotel in stages throughout this year - floor to rafters. Our entire property will have a fresh new look this time next year. We are very excited about this and want only the best for our guests. Thank you again and we wish you the very best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

There is lots of good in this hotel but lots of bad as well. Excellent breakfast. So-so pool area with some awful screeching noise coming from a closet room off of pool area thats deafening. They said it was a dehumidifier.
The breakfast is wonderful. Best warm gooey cinnamon rolls around and lean crispy bacon. Eggs.. Biscuits. Many other options. The rooms are fairly well appointed but dont expect the suites to have a separate bedroom and living area. One big room with bed and couch.
One really old hateful woman works the desk much of the time that I didnt catch her name.
The exercise room has a decent weight machine and one working treadmill . The other treadmill is a hazard ( it randomly jerks to a stop on its own) and I got hurt on it. Its not an emergency feature just random.

We got in one night and didn't realize they'd given us a smoking room. It was the worst smoking room I have ever walked into. I cleaned the a/c filter which was filthy.. Sprayed a 1/4 bottle of Dolce & Gabbana trying to make it not choke us. Still didnt help much. Went to Walmart and bought a scent warmer and febreeze and saturated the furnishings and went for a swim came back up and was able to make it thru the night.
Theres one guy there who is really nice who said he does the decorating etc. who was working at one point the desk. He is the only employee there who is not plain hateful.

I cannot believe the stench of the smoking area rooms. They wont allow pets but thats acceptable?! They moved us to a non smoking room on the same floor next day and the scent is still kinda bad. I say make this place 100% non smoking or keep the smoking rooms all on one floor and make one end of smoking hall pet friendly.
I have a 5 lb dog that usually travels with me cleaner than most humans and would never cause the damage that smoke does. When I pay 150.00 a night in Podunk Cullman .. I do not expect to smell smoke from my nonsmoking end of hall. It would appease me somewhat if I could had my pup on the other end with me. I expect give/take compromise when traveling with my pet. But they make exceptions for nasty killing cigarettes. But not your pet.

In all its overpriced for what you get. The furnishings look very nice but the beds are hard. Its convenient in location. Pool is small and never stocked with towels. As I said a very mixed bag.

• Stayed April 2013
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. My staff and I spoke to you several times during your visits, and I will take your comments under advisement. Since you personally booked a smoking room via your mobile app and arrived after the hotel was full, it is unfortunate that you had to stay one night in a smoking room. Please accept my apologies that the room we were able to move you into the next day did not meet your expectations either. We are glad, however, to know that you enjoyed our breakfast bar. Thank you again and I wish you the very best.
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Crashed here for 5 hours on a road trip. Good room, lots of water pressure in shower, very good value. Didn't try the breakfast, but looked like a decent selection for a hotel breakfast in this class. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate all guest feedback and are very glad that you would recommend our hotel to other travelers. I will pass your comments along to our staff. We wish you the best and look forward to having you stay with us again!
Ripon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here one night on our way back from Gulf Shores to the Nashville Airport. The beds were comfortable, it was quite and we got a good nights sleep. We found it to be clean, although the hallways could be vacuumed more often. They needed vacuuming when we arrived and the next day when we left had not yet been vacuumed. The breakfast was good.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We appreciate knowing what you enjoyed about your stay with us, and I will be sure to pass all of your comments along to our staff. Thank you for bringing the hallways to my attention. I will look into this right away. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again!
Plymouth, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Even though we didn't need the handicapped room, that was all that was left when we arrived. It was a very clean room that had all the usual offerings....mini-fridge, microwave, iron & board, coffee pot.
The problem was regarding the bathroom. There is absolutely no shelf/storage/sink counter space. There are plenty of hooks, but many are up high....a problem for a wheelchair user. The shower area is sorta OK, for a wheelchair user, but it would be difficult to reach the shower head to bring it down for a good shower. Mirror placement is not useable, & the extra magnifying mirror is too high for a wheelchair user. Management should review this room from a handicapped perspective. Rail guards are good, but there needs to be more workable area in the bathroom.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We always like to hear about our property from a guest perspective. In regards to your comments about the accessible room, please know that our non-accessible rooms do have large counters and wide mirrors in the bathrooms, but due to the additional clearance needed in the accessible bathrooms the counters are shorter by necessity. We adhere to very strict ADA standards. Our accessible rooms are reviewed on a regular basis, both by hotel management and by our Quality department. It is very thoughtful of you to think of someone accessing the bathroom from a wheelchair. I will be sure to do an audit of each of our accessible rooms to see if any fixtures need to be adjusted. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! We wish you the very best and hope to see you in the future!
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stay here when doing business in the area. Good typical Holiday Inn express has an indoor pool and gym. Fresh breakfast in a nice dining room which feels like someone's home. Joyce at the front desk feels like family always a warm and kind welcome from her. Staff here always very friendly and full of southern hospitality.

Cracker Barrel is a 3 minute walk away as are Ruby Tuesdays Waffle House and Burger King. Rooms are always clean as is the hotel. Free wi fi. Close to I 65. Great place to spend the night

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel! I will be sure to pass along your comments to the staff in general and to Joyce in particular. You will want to be sure to visit the hotel again and enjoy our newly renovated guestrooms. Our rooms have been totally re-designed from floor to ceiling with a new color palette, new carpeting, and brand new furniture and seating. We wish you the best and hope to welcome you again!
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as a halfway point from Florida and our home. We normally stay in 5 star hotels but for this trip we just needed a place to crash then get on the road again. From the moment we entered until we left we were continually impressed. The front desk staff were great! Very welcoming. When we arrived at our room we continued to be impressed. It was very clean, comfortable and quiet. We slept well. In the morning we went down to breakfast and were impressed again. Well appointed room with comfortable chairs and large tables. It was very inviting and relaxing, we didn't feel rushed in any way. Our breakfast was a wonderful way to start the day. Thank You, HI Express Cullman, AL. For value,quality, and cleanliness your 5 * all they way!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
mchoisser, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cullman, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! Guest feedback is so important in that it gives us a clear picture of our strengths and our weaknesses. Thank you for letting us know what you enjoyed about your stay. I'll be sure to pass along your comments to our staff. We wish you the very best and look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cullman? Share your experiences!