“Sleep in your car at the rest area” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Cullman
Illinois
“Sleep in your car at the rest area”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Do not stay here. We we stuck north of Birmingham due to one inch of snow. Only place that had a room. It was either stay here or park at the rest area until I 65 was open again.It was cold out so we made the choice to stay here.Wrong decision.They did have a decent lobby,the rooms were real bad, at least the one I had.Terrible stale smoke smell . Would rather sleep in the car.67$/night.Not worth 27$.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lenexa, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've stayed here several times in the past without an issue. In August, I booked a room for two nights using my Choice Privileges points. I am a Diamond Member with Choice and stay in hotels nearly year round. Up until the weekend in August, I HAVE NEVER had an issue with any Choice Hotel.

I received a call from the hotel saying they had no rooms left and I should have never been able to book the room. When I went online to book the room using points, there were rooms available. Not just one but several. The gentleman told me that I would get my points back. I waited a few minutes later and I called the hotel directly. I did not tell them who I was. I just told them that I had received a call saying my room had been canceled. The lady who answered the phone told me very rudely that I would get my points back. Please tell me how someone would know I used points to book the room yet I did not tell them my name when I called. They didn't even offer to help find me another room.

I called Choice Hotels reservations and we booked another hotel for my stay in Cullman. When I arrived at the other hotel, they told me there was a big event in town and most of the hotels in the area had been booked up.

I called Guest Relations for Choice Hotels and explained the situation with the Econo Lodge. When they looked up my confirmation number, this is when I found out that the name on the reservation had been changed. This means the hotel gave my reservation to a paying customer. I can only guess that they did this because of the rate Choice would pay them for me using my points. I filed a formal complaint. Number one, I was lied to. Number two, was the manner in which I was notified and the response of the lady who answered the phone when I called the hotel directly. The third reason I filed -- did I mention I'm a Diamond member??

When you file a complaint with Choice Hotels, the hotel has 72 hours in which to respond. The Econo Lodge NEVER responded to my complaint, which means they now have to pay Choice back for the compensation they have given me, pay a fine, and they could possibly lose their Econo Lodge flag.

The Econo Lodge cancelled my reservation without the intent of placing those points back into my account. Due to their actions, they will never have me stay there EVER again unless there is a change in ownership and employees.

BTW- according to one reviewer, they said this hotel was close to the Cracker Barrel. No, it is right next to the Waffle House, the Cracker Barrel is a couple miles away at the next exit. I've also seen several reviews where others have had problems with this hotel.

My advice to the hotel -- If your rooms are TRULY booked, then it is YOUR responsibility to make sure no more reservations can be made. If you have to cancel the room for whatever the reason, you better make sure you follow up on refunding WHATEVER it is and do what it takes to make other accommodations for that guest. If you have a complaint filed against you, you had better make a response. If a guest calls your hotel to double check the information they just got, please advise your employees that they need to be courteous and as polite as humanly possible. Don't change the reservation a guest has already made and replace it with another guests name. This is how I found out just how dishonest you are. If a guest decides to use points, respect that and take the pay that the Choice is going to give you. We have spent a lot of money to earn those points and if we want to use them to stay one or two or three or however many days, then that is our choice.

My Advice to Potential Guests -- I have stayed here in the past without issues. Just be sure to read all the reviews before you make your decision. Yes, they have lost me as a guest due to the dishonesty and their lack of caring when they knew that most of the area hotels were booked up. BTW- the Sleep Inn in Cullman is a great option. There are several other hotels in the area, but since I haven't stayed at them...I can't comment on them. Enjoy your stay in Cullman.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
West Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The property was so comfortable and nice, it almost made me want to stay longer. But beyond the property, the people were outstanding. Breakfast is good but there is no fruit but it's free and cheap so no question about that internet is working so fast thank you so much

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Moline IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were done traveling for the day and stopped here because it was close to Cracker Barrell. This was one of the nicest places we had stayed at on our vacation. The room was large, VERY CLEAN and bed was wonderful!. Front desk staff very pleasant. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pace, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Check in last night, front desk was very helpful and friendly. They have redone the rooms and repainted the outside. Loved the free breakfast, internet is a little slow but it was free so no complaints, low rates, pets welcome check out was fast and quick. Entrance is a little hard to see but easy to get in and get out.

Room Tip: on the bottom side of the building it is a little quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I stayed at the Econolodge in Cullman, AL, the weekend of November 12, 2011 to attend my grandson's state track meet nearby. I was using my choice reward points to pay for my room--which I had set up with reservations ahead of time. It seemed that things were OK when I checked in, but later that night the desk clerk called saying the "night auditor" wanted to talk to me. I went down to the office and the woman who was this "night auditor" tried to tell me that the computer was not showing my points in the system and that I would have to pay for my room. I insisted that she call and check with central reservations. She would not do it. So, I went to my room and called the 1-800 number and talked to a representative who said they could not understand what the problem was at the motel because her computer system showed my reservation paying with points. The representative then said she would have her supervisor fax over the information needed at the motel. I then called the motel desk clerk and was told she received the fax and everything was OK. The next morning when it was time to check out, the same woman from the previous evening, who was supposedly the night auditor, called and told me I would have to come down and pay for the room. I showed her my confirmation I had printed out from email, and she still insisted that I pay. I think that this woman, who could hardly speak any English, was just trying to make me pay because she did not want to honor my points. I was also very upset because she made a scene in the lobby in front of people. In short, I think she was trying to pull a fast one. I will never stay there again because I feel something dishonest was going on. Plus, the motel was not that great a place to begin with--old and dirty.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Scammed by Econo lodge. I travel extensively and use coupon books to help pick my hotel room. The Econo Lodge in Cullman advertised a 44.95 coupon. The clerk did the bait and switch thing and bumped me up $3.00. I asked for a non smoking room and was given a smoking room. When I spoke to the manager this morning he was rude and said the smell was not that bad in my room. My lungs are burning and my nose is almost closed shut from breathing the air in this room. I will never stay in this Lodge again and will check out my room to make sure it is what the clerk says it is before I unpack and feel obligated to stay. I feel like I have been scammed by a money hungry manager who has no concern about ethics or the safety of his guest. Certainly no way to build a business and not a good image to portray for Econo Lodge.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!