“THE CHANGE” 3 of 5 stars

Howrah, India
21 attraction reviews
“THE CHANGE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I am a regular tourist of Digha since 1979. As people do some party for any good news, I travel to digha. So it happens 2 to 3 times in a year. Only last year( 2012) I was unable to visit this place.I have seen so much changes of this place. I saw the development of new digha from beginning.I saw the change of place for the market of old digha( from temporary market adjacent to sea beach to a permanent market), making of Amrabati park. I saw the change of clean beach filled with shell to dirty beach filled with empty coconut shell. But this time( I traveled on 2nd week of March) I feel a big change in the attitude of local people. In bengali it called "DADAGIRI"( hooliganism). Be it the riksawwala, or the coconut seller. Even the hoteliers.They simply forcing to following their policy. Otherwise, you are in bigger trouble. I refuse to take a riksaw travel, as I feel he is demanding double money as fare, So I ride a bus...and surprisingly he put his riksaw in front of bus the bus & call other riksawwala to join him. By this way he force the bus to keep standing their for 1 hour. We called police. They found these riksawwalas even don't have any legal document for their business but was inable to move them. The coconut seller is occupying the beach, by putting benches in the beach. But if you seat their, you have to bye coconut from them. And the ratio is 10 minutes for 1 coconut. I saw one group of tourist was bitten as the dined the ratio( they bought 3 coconut & sit on the bench for40 minutes). I booked 2 room in a hotel( for my family & my friends family) for 3 days. After 2 days my friends has to go back as he has some trouble at home. So at morning 8 am( check out time was 10 pm) he request at reception for processing of check out 1 room & do some adjustment. They simply take the key & forced him to pay 3 days money( as we have written in the register the returning date). So I ask them to give me my friend's room key( I was staying for the third day). But they simply deny to give it & put other boarder in that room & says, that is their policy.
So dear reader think again before travel to digha this time.

Howrah, India
3 attraction reviews
“Result of "Paribartan"(the change)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I am a regular tourist of Digha since 1979. As people do some party for any good news, I travel to digha. So it happens 2 to 3 times in a year. Only last year( 2012) I was unable to visit this place.I have seen so much changes of this place. I saw the development of new digha from beginning.I saw the change of place for the market of old digha( from temporary market adjacent to sea beach to a permanent market), making of Amrabati park. I saw the change ofclean beach filled with shell to dirty beach filled with empty coconut shell. But this time( I traveled on 2nd week of March) I feel a big change in the attitude of local people. In bengali it called "DADAGIRI"( hooliganism). Be it the riksawwala, or the coconut seller. Even the hoteliers.They simply forcing to following their policy. Otherwise, you are in bigger trouble. I refuse to take a riksaw travel, as I feel he is demanding double money as fare, So I ride a bus...and surprisingly he put his riksaw in front of bus the bus & call other riksawwala to join him. By this way he force the bus to keep standing their for 1 hour. We called police. They found these riksawwalas even don't have any legal document for their business but was inable to move them. The coconut seller is occupying the beach, by putting benches in the beach. But if you seat their, you have to bye coconut from them. And the ratio is 10 minutes for 1 coconut. I saw one group of tourist was bitten as the dined the ratio( they bought 3 coconut & sit on the bench for40 minutes). I booked 2 room in a hotel( for my family & my friends family) for 3 days. After 2 days my friends has to go back as he has some trouble at home. So at morning 8 am( check out time was 10 pm) he request at reception for processing of check out 1 room & do some adjustment. They simply take the key & forced him to pay 3 days money( as we have written in the register the returning date). So I ask them to give me my friend's room key( I was staying for the third day). But they simply deny to give it & put other boarder in that room & says, that is their policy.
So dear reader think again before travel to digha this time/

74 attraction reviews
“Digha in WEEK End”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Dear All, I'm writing this review after my recent visit to Digha, Mandarmoni in a week end. after a long gap, I have visited with my wife. I love the palace. But it was bit hectc and tiredsomw as the sun is up in northdirection. At first we went in mondarmoni, it is nearly 175 km away from kolkata. takes 3 and 1/2 hour time. we roammed there , njoy the water , beaches. Had lunch in beach side cafe.After that we went to old digha. In the evening , we roammed on old digha beach, tasted beach side fried fish. It is good but not that much good , as I used to heard. Next mornig we had sea bath. My wife has enjoyed lot. & after lunch we went in new digha. We spent a couple of hours & relaxed our journey. At end I would suggest you can go for 1n/2d program. you can get chance to taste adventure sports there such as parasailing, water scooters, banana boats. Parasailing is bit cheeper compare to others part of India.
So i wish a graet vacation from outside of city. Please note that the high way is good & rate more tahtn 90%....
With Thanks & Regards

38 attraction reviews
“Too much Crowded”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Good market place of handicrafts.. but not good for enjoying the sea or bathing.Good for relaxation and enjoying sea food and shopping during the evening. The coastline needs maintenance, cleanliness and Lighting. Good for watching sunrise..but beware of Boulders.. lots of Boulders are there..

Visited February 2013
25 attraction reviews
“Closest sea beach from Kolkata”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Old Digha does not have a beach except for a very tiny stretch. It's mostly boulders. New Digha has a beach but not too big. If you want to take a dip it has to be in new digha. It's a 5 hour drive from Kolkata and the roads are quite good. It's a nice getaway for a weekend if you love the sea. But don't expect too much. If you are a fish lover try the local eating joints near the market. Very fresh fish.

Visited August 2012