“Worst hotel experience I've ever had” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Swagath

You added Hotel Swagath to your Saves list
Hotel Swagath
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37, Hazra Road, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700029, India   |
Ranked #54 of 191 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Chicago, IL
“Worst hotel experience I've ever had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was a bad experience from the beginning. A colleague and I separately booked rooms at Hotel Swagath because it was located near a wedding reception venue we were attending. We booked through the reservation system on the hotel's website, which required payment-in-full up front (which was our first mistake).

I arrived first, during the afternoon, and was taken up to the fourth floor, where my room was decidedly NOT renovated in the last couple of decades -- dingy, all-pink, peeling walls, harsh fluorescent lighting, and stained/torn rust colored bed cover with a room number (not my room number) written in black marker on the reverse corner when I turned it down. All switches on the A/C were broken, so the only way to work it was to plug it and unplug it. Nothing at all like the neat, clean rooms pictured on the website. Everything about it assaulted the senses and any feeling of hygiene. And then there was the wifi - one router located on the first floor, so the signal was too weak to reach my room.

I tried to forget my feeling of disappointment since I had already pre-paid for the room and the staff offered to move me to a better room on a lower floor the next day. However, when my colleague arrived late in the evening, we were informed that there weren't anymore rooms -- in spite of her having her booking confirmation with the bill listed as paid in full. I told the front desk staff that we needed to stay together in the same hotel, and that my room was already inadequate, so we'd prefer to take a refund and go find our own alternate accommodation (even as it was nearing 11 pm). The front desk attendant refused to give us a refund, insisting that we had booked through an outside company (which we hadn't, it was apparently another company whose booking system they had embedded in their own site - but the guy didn't even understand how their booking system works) and saying that the hotel hadn't yet received the money from the booking company yet, so how could he refund us? I explained to him that it wasn't my business what the relationship between the hotel and their booking company was - if they took money and did not provide the promised accommodation, then they should refund us and take that up on their own time.

On and on we went, around in circles, and he refused to issue any kind of refund or even apologize for failing to provide us with anything resembling what we'd paid for - all we got was attitude. After a lengthy and frustrating argument, during which the only options he insisted on were 1) that we stay in the one terrible room together for one night, in spite of having booked two rooms or 2) one of us take a room in a different hotel under the same questionable management, I gave up and said we'd leave and take it up with managment tomorrow - I wasn't going to stay even a single night in this place. I went up to my room, collected my things, dragged them back down from the fourth floor, and when I reached the lobby, the front desk attendant finally had his manager on the phone. The manager gets some credit for being more polite than his employee, but he offered the same basic options and I told him that all we wanted was a refund -- which he assured me we would receive. So off we went in a cab to another hotel (233 Park Street Hotel), which was fortunately very nice and had a very cordial and understanding staff (more on them in another review!)

As it stands now, the booking company only refunded me about 2/3 of my money -- they claim I stayed a night at Swagath so still charged me for this, as well as a 10% cancellation fee. They told me to take up the issue of getting this additional erroneous fee refunded with the hotel, and of course the hotel management has not responded to me yet, four days after I sent a message asking them to sort this out. I shouldn't have to argue and fight and plead to get back the money for this debacle. If they had handled the resolution and refund with grace, they might have earned a "poor" rating rather than "terrible".

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My company has a tie up with this hotel, so stayed here for 5days.....I found the rooms spacious and neat..they have renovated the place..the food was outstanding..loved the south Indian food. The location is fantastic, center of south Calcutta, it was close to the metro station, plus many malls around. One minus point: No lift but the receptionist said that they will get 1 in a few months from now.

Room Tip: Opt for AC Deluxe
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

we booked for three night & four day in aug 2013 and booked 4 bed room Nice hotel , food is very good even at mid night. Nice location near by metro station , market , Multiplex , hospital ,
co-operative & supportive staff and
Only one thing NO LIFT So every time you have climbed mountain:) unfortunate we have Room on
3 & 4 floor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Patna, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stay ther last dec for 2 night because our organisation has colabration with this hotels for staffs stay but if you are staying at your own cost its simply avoidable. Its far from howrah and sealdah railway station and more far from airport. Its an old building. Rooms are big but not much clean. Bathrooms were not so clean.Staffs wer not so friendly and courteous. Room service was not so prompt.The hotel have a vegetarian restaurant ,that was the only thing i liked in this hotel.Thali was reali good and also Chinese. But overall you should skip this hotel if u dont have any specific reason to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Heard as one of the oldest restaurants. Food is average. Service is average. Food is costly in comparison. Restaurant polices are disgusting. Even for full meal no second serving is given. Hotel was empty most of the times. Appears in-house guests will visit the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Visited Kolkatta on a study and needed a place for longer duration (15 days), the original place i was put up was lonely and so sought this as an alternative. Since i arrived late in evening online booking through travel sites giving discount were not allowing starting that day. My husband could find bookings only from next day and was co-ordinating with travel agent to allow booking from that day itself. He also requested reception to allow stay at regular fare for current night since package would be booked from next day. The receptionist was very rude and stated they would not allow me to stay there if such an arrangement was sought. I was nearly in tears since i had no place to go (single lady stranded). I was forced to book at exhorbitant room rates (against what travel sites were offering) for 3 days before my husband & travel sites could negotiate my stay here.
Further despite travel site giving a complimentary breakfast was i refused the same and charged for it. When i demand a refund while checking out they clearly refused.
Room was also not up to mark for the rent charged. I had to live with cockroaches & insects throughout the night. Even one bottle of water was not provided and if you asked for a bisleri it was charged double the MRP

Do not recommend this hotel at all for the attitude of the staff

Room Tip: Of the other rooms A/c units are better
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

On my way to Agartala, I had stayed at Kolkata with my husband, to catch a flight for Agartala early morning. My husband's friend had made arrangements for our stay in this hotel Swagat, which was very conveniently located. The rooms were big enough but lacked in facilities like room TV, tea kettle, etc. but the beds were comfortable and gave us a good sleep in the night.

There is no room service. But the hotel has a gujarat restaurant and the food was great.

Overall the stay at the hotel was comfortable. No complaints! If you only have to come to the hotel to sleep, its ok.

Sudha Ratnaparkhi

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Swagath? Share your experiences!