“Rooms good..... but not for meetings!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge

You added Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge to your Saves list
Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Garcha, 1st lane, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700019, India   |
Ranked #25 of 191 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Pune, Maharashtra, India
“Rooms good..... but not for meetings!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Last week we had 2days meeting at this hotel plus we stayed also. Coming to rooms, they are good, spacious with all automatic controls; bathroom is ok... but look out before sleeping on the curtains as sunrise is early, u should close them as they are 2 layered. Breakfast is also well layed with all kind of options. Coming to meeting halls which was at ground floor, they were bad ... no good service, water served in glasses, bathrooms with no tissue paper, lunch was worst with rotis taking 15mins. Not good for meeting. ... overall good for staying but avoid meetings!!

• Stayed April 2014
PPKB, Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, April 25, 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

It was a pleasure to know that you had a wonderful time at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge. I along with my entire team appreciate your honest feedback which is encouraging and would help us to keep moving forward and set a higher benchmark for us in future. We look for your patronage in future as well.

Neetu Ahluwalia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The hotel is quite nice and of an expected standard but rooms, although nice, are quite small. Restaurant is also good.

OK location, Birla temple is walkable but a taxi is required to go to Park St etc. As it is India, local taxis demand exorbitant amounts once they see you step out of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I checked in for two days while the staff and services are good there are points to be worked upon...... I got stuck in the bathroom as the lock was not working had to call up the staff who turned up after 15 minutes later.... and not even an apology. ....

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
West Sikkim, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I personally think a lot of Managerial pro activeness approach needs to be taken.

I will follow with points

1. You classify yourself as Business Hotel, Right simple things like accessories need to be put in place. Dental Kit, Shaving Kit, Slipper and importantly Study lights and warm water needs to be functional. This was all fixed within a certain time frame but had to bothered by contact ringing of door bell to each items arrived at few minutes interval. Your Floor Manager Ms. Kalpana was however brilliant.

It just show the preparedness of your Hospitality. I have been told that it depends on the requirement of the guests then my question is why don't you put it up in the website or for that matter inform the client during check in at the Reception area.

2. Your Breakfast Menu is really good, however i was told that there was no butter for the bread..no supply on Sunday...Oh Common.

I hope the Management needs to think through..small things make a big difference in your category.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Park Plaza is a great hotel for the price they offer. The ambience is good, there are quite a few restaurants inside, including the open air hooka bar. The spa is good and the gym just about average. The service standards does not fit a 5 star brand and the housekeeping does get too edgy at times. What disappoints most is the food, I ordered an authentic Bengali fish curry and the food was awful, the betki fish was terrible.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
PPKB, Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Sir,

Greetings from Park Plaza Kolkata! Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Patna, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

It's a very good hotel. Rooms are clean. Bed is comfortable. Room service is also good. Complimentary Wi-Fi is an advantage. Buffet breakfast @ K19 is very good with lots of options. Special mention : Jaya and Ratan @ K19. Will recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Club Carlson Number : 6015995329747045 - Tier level - Silver Elite -- Expires Feb 2015 - Last stay date
Feb 16 2014 - Last stay Hotel - Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge

Most companies ( in this case Park Plaza Hotel – Kolkata - India ) think they have the best Customer Service in the World. Plenty of them DON’T and they DON’T even know it.
It is amazing the lengths people could go to prove a point.
Just to get this out of the way early in this post, let me say that I really believe that I can be probably any customer care representative’s BEST dream. Over the years I have mellowed down with age and also just a conscious desire/instructions to keep my blood pressure from going through the roof by carefully choosing my arguments / opponents. Depending on how the day had been for me so far, I would ensure that my presence is felt and acknowledged.
I have ALWAYS been very fond of Park Plaza Hotel in Kolkata where I have been a REGULAR Guest since April 2013 last Year. And the REASON for my fondness for this property is none other than Chirag Nevatia who was the then Duty Manager and took care of every need possible from day one ( of my stay ) !
It is rather sad that he is no longer working with this property and I have no idea why the Management did not take efforts to retain such people. However , as life goes on I was greeted with equally able host like Sandeep and Abhishek Bhattacharya ( DUTY MANAGERS ) and Juniors like Vivek , Cassandra , Rosie ( @ FRONT DESK ) and Shovan , Shamikendra and Suman ( Manager and Exec Chef ).
I am also particularly ALL PRAISES for the AMAZING House Keeping Staff and I am sorry I am unable to recollect your names at this point but I MUST assure you that I do remember each and every one of you if and when I meet you again 
While out to dinner this weekend, my fiancé, I had a bad customer service experience. I thought I would share it with the blog community as a means to help learn what your staff should not do when a customer/client is dissatisfied. For the first time in my last one year of stay with Park Plaza I was refused a dish of my choice because the chef did not know how to prepare them ! I would have accepted such issues had it been the first time that I have made such requests and or order. I have ordered this dish on multiple occasions and time of my choice and leaving this instance I was never disappointed ! What is more disappointing is the fact that I was actually informed NO SUCH Dish could be made available at this point as the Chef and the Restaurant DO NOT offer such dishes at that point of time ! It is a 4 Star property for CRYING OUT LOUD !
I raised this issue to Abhishek ( Duty Manager ) and I was a pleasure to meet the Executive Chef come down in person along with the FnB Manager Shamik and this is what exactly I spoke to them and they agreed in consent - First, you need to be available for the customer. At least give them an opportunity to explain the problem. Though there may be nothing you can do for them (which is highly doubtful in the first place), you can at least hear them out so that, in the future, you can try to avoid the problem. Don’t blow them off as this Service Person ( who took the order ) did to me. I have never known any manager at any place I’ve worked (or eaten) to not immediately run to a customer’s table when there is a complaint. Because the last thing you want is for the customer to leave unhappy or, in our case, to never come back again.
I do not expect to me treated like a KING and neither I wish to contest the phrase that I , the CUSTOMER is ALWAYS RIGHT ! But staying with a 4 Star Property in one of the Major Metropolitan Cities in India I do expect NOT to get tattered and shamelessly damaged Bath Robes , Water Shortage ( while I was bang in the middle of my shower ) and Dishes and Plates kept in the room for more than 24 Hours !
And YES ! I DO NOT EXPECT Water Shortage at All – Specially when I am in the SHOWER !
And Survey that I filled http://survey.medallia.com/?cd4z3tskpvv7vn3
Yes, I’m taking this opportunity to vent a bit, but I know there are some good lessons in this situation that others can learn from. The old adage, that many of us can’t stand (especially those who work in food service) “the customer is always right,” well, there is a reason for that saying. The customer, in fact, is not always right, but good customer service is treating him / her as though he / she is. Making the customer feel appreciated, even when they are not pleased, is the goal. And that was not accomplished in our experience. What a shame.
First off, the idea that "the customer is always right" is a fairly modern concept, having only really been used as such a phrase since the late 19th century. It was just a marketing gimmick at the time, to make customers feel special, and to increase the likelihood of their repeat business. (Really, it's a reflection of the times, that things have gotten so bad that we have to remind people to treat other people nicely.)

I think that the problems with customer service these days is an indicator of the cultural problems of the day. It starts at home. Teach your kids manners. Teach them to read signs. Teach them to think before opening their mouth. Things like that. Imagine how nice things would be if both the customers and those serving them were more thoughtful!

Room Tip: They have awesome Front Desk Staff ! Let them know of your requirements and they will fish out a gre...