“Not a good start for a new hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Garcha, 1st lane, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700019, India   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% off
Ranked #25 of 189 hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Not a good start for a new hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Chosen because of proximity to office. While overall decor was as expected & room was quite comfortable there were two major letdown. First the hot water supply - Despite repeated feedback the hot water suppy was just warm but was never hot. This was probably because there is no exhaust in the bathroom and/ or heating system. Thus could not enjoy a hot refreshing bath. Second the breakfast quality and service - The south Indian breakfast was simply not upto the mark including a freshly made Dosa. This section needs complete overhaul. The staff was not very attentive and were missing specific instructions. Hopefully this new hotel improves on initial problems and really gives service worthy of its star status and lineage.

Room Tip: There is did not seem much to differentiate rooms interms of view as the hotel is situated right in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PPKB, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, July 13, 2013

Greetings from Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge!!!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us this precious feedback.

On behalf of our entire team at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at the hotel. I have addressed all your feedback with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

We appreciate such feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations.

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Located in middle of residential area, was initially skeptical about the property but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The moment we entered, we were warmly greeted by the staff. Every staff member in the lobby made sure they welcomed us and some had a quick chat about our trip, making the checkin smooth. It was consistent during our stay too.This alone made the property stand out, as you rarely see such enthusiasm from the staff.

The rooms are spacious and modern. Being a new hotel everything is shining new

Breakfast & Lunch at coffee shop was average and has room for improvement. Swimming pool is small and that was the only disappointment

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PPKB, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello There,

Greetings from Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge!!!

We sincerely appreciate your time and thank you very much for the wonderful feedback.

It is indeed a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. it is our constant endeavour to create a wonderful experience of warm hospitality and impeccable service for all our valued guests.

I look forward to meeting up with you on your next visit to our hotel and we thank you for choosing us for your accommodation needs while your travel brings you to this great city.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in March this year after looking at the various options available in that area, being a reputed chain, I opted for this. The hotel though nice and clean with spacious rooms lacks in some basics. Firstly, there is no place/rack to keep your luggage; as I don't usually empty my bag completely I need to keep my luggage on some rack and I would definitely not keep it on the bed. The food is also basic and most of the facilities like the swimming pool were not available to us.
Finally, I would give them the benefit of doubt as the hotel is new and like any new hotel it will need some time to perfect the class.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PPKB, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, July 1, 2013

Greetings from Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge!!!

We appreciate and thank you for the time you have taken out to share the details on your experience. I am pleased to note that you have liked the cleaniness of our entire hotel.

It is dishearting to know that you were not satisfied in few areas like luggage rack and swimming pool and now I am pleased to inform you that those are in place already at our property.

It is always our endeavor to create a memorable experience - from the moment we offer you a warm welcome to the time we bid you a fond farewell. We appreciate your precious feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations.

Assuring our best services and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Not really up to the Carlson standards but still, was good for a one night stay. The malaise of Kolkata was very much evident in the upkeep of the hotel and the speed and efficiency of the staff. Not bad, but not really up to the other Carlson Group hotels that I have stayed with in other places. Sound quality of the rooms was not very good, in spite of being on the 5th floor. The breakfast table was not exactly spick and span. TV in the room did not work and had to be shabbily repaired. Internet was supposed to be free but was not for 1 MB and above. Not exactly disappointed because it was expected in Kolkata.

Room Tip: Dont chose the East facing rooms if you need to sleep late
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PPKB, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for valuable feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are disappointed to know that you had a less than pleasant stay with us. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience you had and assure you that this is not the quality of service we at Park Plaza known for. We have noted down all your feedback related to TV not working and had taken this up seriously with concern department.

The entire team at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge joins me in requesting you to experience our hotel one more time and allow us to exhibit how feedback from valued guests like you help us to improve our services and eventually guest experience.

Looking forward to welcome you back at our hotel.

Warm Regards

Pune, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This one was closest to the place to the business I was dealing with, so booked this one. I feel compelled to write this review, I am not a person who writes harsh review, you can see other reviews written by me.

There is nothing special or feel good factor for this property, New hotel, BUT Its dingy , lobby is tiny and very dimly lit .. makes you feel extremely gloomy on stepping in!

Reception staff is confused, arrogant and lost.

Probably it would be good for bengalis but for non-bengalis.......they only know.

All the staff I met seemed to be lost and communicating them self in local language. They don't understand English or Hindi.

Room: Tiny stinking room,, chipped furniture chipped tiles in bathroom.

When you step into the place where breakfast is served there is no one who can get you to the table, you have to search for some one to get you to table , staff is utterly confused they don't seem interested about doing the job. There was a mix up of used plates and fresh plates which is absolutely not acceptable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PPKB, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Mr Arun,

Thank you for taking the time to review us Trip Advisor.

On behalf of our entire team at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at our hotel. I have addressed your concern with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Please do drop me an email at bdutta@parkplaza.com, whenever you are planning to make your next visit to our property as I am looking forward meet you in person to understand your concern more in details.

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed there with family (2 adults and 2 kids) - twice in May 2013. We were on a holiday to Kolkata. The hotel is new, so everything looks nice. Hope they maintain the property. The standard rooms were smallish, but the executive room was big enough. We need big rooms, since we require an extra bed too. Location is good, but it seemed odd since it was in the middle of residential properties. Food is good, but expensive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PPKB, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hello There,

Hyderabad - Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed in this hotel when I travelled on a short business trip. The location was ideal - Ballygunge being centre of the city and close to most business areas. The location is also convenient for after office hours activities in the city - shopping, movies, theatre etc.
The tariff is also reasonable for this brand of hotel. The staff was amazingly well trained for such a new hotel. They were quite efficient and warm in hospitality.
The breakfast spread was good and I had the best dosas in East India in this hotel.I was booked on a business package which had complimentary wifi and airport transfers - both of which worked perfectly well.
Now for the not-so-good things - the in-room furniture is quite basic. I was sweet-talked to upgrade my room to a larger room with a Jacuzzi in the bathroom - but to my surprise I found vast emptiness, with not even a sofa around. Also despite the hotel being new, there are no convenient charging points in (even the vast) room - either at bed-side or near the writing table (there was just one).
The biggest disappointment for me was that the pool was still not operational. There was no indication on the website of the hotel while I was reserving that this was the case. In fact it was quite the opposite - quite attractive pictures of a well-lit terrace pool were prominently displayed to attract people. What a fraud.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Shreedhar

Greetings from Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge and thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.

We really appreciate your observations on our facilities, services and specially about the staff, food etc. of the hotel.

We are extremely sorry to know that you didnot find our premier room up to expectation and I can assure you that we will surely bring in the required changes to make it to your expectation. Also my sincere apology for not having swimmimg operational as we were having the finishing work happening and now I am pleased to annouce that our pool is operational.

we look forward to welcome you back on your next visit again and assure you of an even more memorable stay with us.

Warm Regards

Front Office Manager

Been to Park Plaza Kolkata Ballygunge? Share your experiences!