“You can feel the history” 5 of 5 stars

South Park Street Cemetery
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Improve this listing
Type: Cemeteries, Cultural
“You can feel the history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I visited the cemetery twice during my stay November 2012. Just found the place so amazing, strange and over whelming. Can't believe the size of some of the tombs ... it was like walking on to a film set for a scene in Indiana Jones. Very sad as well to see how young some of the people were when they died. Well worth a visit to get away from the chaos that is Calcutta

Visited November 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
103 attraction reviews
“Strange place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a very old graveyard for colonial people buried in Calcutta. The tombs are massive and very impressive but the overall atmosphere is rather spooky. There are a lot of black crows flying around and it reminded us of Hitcocks The Birds film! Interesting but not worth a long journey, but its only 10 mins from Mother Teresa's house so the two can be combined.

Visited December 2012
Cully, Switzerland
7 attraction reviews
“British cemetery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I went because I was fascinated with the stories of how British lived their live. This cemetery connects visitors with British India. The atmosphere was so calm and serene. I sat there alone. It was quite, gave me a freedom from all my existing thoughts for a while.

Visited October 2012
6 attraction reviews
“My Secret Garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Once you step into the gate of the cemetary you will be completely blown away. Its unlike any I have ever seen. Beautifully shaded and overgrown, it is a wonderful place to look back in time, relax, or just walk around. Its surprisingly quiet even on the bustling park street. One of my favorite places in Kolkata!

Pulborough, United Kingdom
69 attraction reviews
“very calming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I chose to go here as I had read up on it. It wasn't on my agenda initially but I am so glad I went here. I have never seen gravestones like these, truly amazing. My guide told me a story of one person and we found her grave, it was fantastic. The guy on the gate was very helpful and gracious. a truly brilliant place to see.

Visited November 2012