This is, no doubt, the best in Kolkata with the main sights and actions practically just right at the door steps of the hotel. Once within the gated enclave of the hotel, there's a deep sense of calm and serenity and this place provides an escape from the craziness in the streets of Kolkata.
The check-in is swift and efficient although the staff should be reminded that passports should be returned to the guests after check in. When the formalities are completed, the staff will escort you to the guest room and the luggages will just miraculously appear in the room. The guest room is extremely clean, beautifully furnished in a Victorian style. Even the fresh fruits and drinks are replenished twice a day. To add to the personal touch, the staff will hand out Indian local tea bags as souvenirs.
The breakfast has a huge spread. I was keen to sample the local breakfast eg. the Dhosa and Uppendam and these were all available. The only downside is that the hotel is badly in need of a good coffee machine. They should not be heating the cafetiere on hot plates!
Our stay was extremely comfortable and pleasant and the hotel definitely provides a sanctuary for those in need of a break from the craziness in the Kolkata streets.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oberoi Grand, fondly referred as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee' offers the ultimate classical residence in the City of Joy. This heritage hotel’s neo-classical facade and grand pillared entrance mark a successful fusion of classical Victorian and traditional Indian style and reflect the city’s colonial history.Standing stately for over 125 years, The Oberoi Grand combines classic architecture and charm with state of the art amenities and facilities, offering guests an oasis of tranquility amidst the bustling city.The hotel features elegantly appointed rooms, equipped with all modern facilities blending uniquely with the colonial architecture.The hotel is located in the main business and shopping district of Kolkata (Park Street, BBD Bag, and Chowringhee) and is in walking distance from most corporate and government offices. It is also conveniently located close to major convention centers, legislative offices, banks, Consulates, Deputy High Commissions, Chambers of Commerce and clubs. This ideal location makes the hotel a perfect base for the business and the leisure traveler.The dining options at the hotel provide a great opportunity to savor cuisines from around the globe. Recreational facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre and a full service Oberoi Spa.The city centre location makes the hotel an ideal conference and meetings venue. The options vary from a spectacular ballroom for large conferences and smaller meeting rooms for business gatherings and seminars. A 24 hour business centre fully equipped with modern facilities includes a meeting room along with secretarial services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Expedia, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your The Oberoi Grand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Grand Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Oberoi Grand Hotel
- Oberoi Grand Kolkata
- The Oberoi Grand India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia