Having stayed at a more modern hotel in Mumbai on my trip to India, the Oberoi Grand was definitely a bit different. Whilst not as modern, for me it more than made up for it with an abundance of character, with a lot of old stylings that made it more interesting than the average hotel such as the elevators with wood panelling and brass features. In its next refurbishment, I'm sure a lick of paint and a few new carpets here and there, will make it even better, but its nice enough as it is!
Service was excellent throughout my stay, though definitely a shock to someone who is not used to having so many "good mornings/evenings" throughout the day. I liked the little touches, such as having a little slip of paper with the weather forecast after your room has been cleaned and the news summary from your home country in the morning. Check in was nice, with a refreshing fruity drink being offered, and coffee also offered (as I looked tired!) and helpful lady who showed me room features, etc.
I had dinner at the Thai restaurant, which was very good. Also had a few cocktails at the bar, and judging by my barometer of Long Island Iced Teas, were excellent :) Just to be aware, there is a dress code at the bar (no shorts) that my friend fell foul of, but we were let off as it was the first time we'd been to the bar.
Location is very good, and it feels like an oasis in the middle of all the bustle of the markets. Definitely worth the extra to get a room facing the centre if possible, or if you get lucky you might get a free upgrade like I did!
All in all and excellent hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oberoi Grand, fondly referred as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee' offers the ultimate classical residence in the City of Joy. This heritage hotel’s neo-classical facade and grand pillared entrance mark a successful fusion of classical Victorian and traditional Indian style and reflect the city’s colonial history.Standing stately for over 125 years, The Oberoi Grand combines classic architecture and charm with state of the art amenities and facilities, offering guests an oasis of tranquility amidst the bustling city.The hotel features elegantly appointed rooms, equipped with all modern facilities blending uniquely with the colonial architecture.The hotel is located in the main business and shopping district of Kolkata (Park Street, BBD Bag, and Chowringhee) and is in walking distance from most corporate and government offices. It is also conveniently located close to major convention centers, legislative offices, banks, Consulates, Deputy High Commissions, Chambers of Commerce and clubs. This ideal location makes the hotel a perfect base for the business and the leisure traveler.The dining options at the hotel provide a great opportunity to savor cuisines from around the globe. Recreational facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre and a full service Oberoi Spa.The city centre location makes the hotel an ideal conference and meetings venue. The options vary from a spectacular ballroom for large conferences and smaller meeting rooms for business gatherings and seminars. A 24 hour business centre fully equipped with modern facilities includes a meeting room along with secretarial services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your The Oberoi Grand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Grand Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Oberoi Grand Kolkata
- Oberoi Grand Hotel
- The Oberoi Grand India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia