This is a very special hotel indeed. Architecturally sophisticated, it displays grandeur but also a degree of late-Victorian/Edwardian reserve which reflects its colonial origins. The building reflects elegance, style and excellent workmanship throughout. It has also been well maintained in recent years. We stayed in a suite which was larger than average and beautifully furnished, with views overlooking the pool. The courtyard pool is extremely nice and it feels lovely to swim with the balconies, towers and palm trees of the hotel around you. The food and the hotel is exceptionally good. Kolkata is a special place for us because my wife's family come from the city, so we have been many times. However this is the first time we stayed in a hotel downtown, and it is so much fun to be to explore the city from your doorstep. (This was also our first visit to one of our favourite cities during the monsoon in the rain and humidity only added to the seductive atmosphere.) So, the hotel itself and the location are excellent. However, what truly marks out this hotel from almost any other we have stayed in is the astonishingly good service. The courtesy, politeness and charm of the staff from the manager down make the service quite literally impeccable. I would recommend this hotel without reserve not simply as a comfortable place to stay but as a unique experience in and of itself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Oberoi Grand, fondly referred as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee' offers the ultimate classical residence in the City of Joy. This heritage hotel’s neo-classical facade and grand pillared entrance mark a successful fusion of classical Victorian and traditional Indian style and reflect the city’s colonial history.Standing stately for over 125 years, The Oberoi Grand combines classic architecture and charm with state of the art amenities and facilities, offering guests an oasis of tranquility amidst the bustling city.The hotel features elegantly appointed rooms, equipped with all modern facilities blending uniquely with the colonial architecture.The hotel is located in the main business and shopping district of Kolkata (Park Street, BBD Bag, and Chowringhee) and is in walking distance from most corporate and government offices. It is also conveniently located close to major convention centers, legislative offices, banks, Consulates, Deputy High Commissions, Chambers of Commerce and clubs. This ideal location makes the hotel a perfect base for the business and the leisure traveler.The dining options at the hotel provide a great opportunity to savor cuisines from around the globe. Recreational facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre and a full service Oberoi Spa.The city centre location makes the hotel an ideal conference and meetings venue. The options vary from a spectacular ballroom for large conferences and smaller meeting rooms for business gatherings and seminars. A 24 hour business centre fully equipped with modern facilities includes a meeting room along with secretarial services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Jetsetter, Agoda, Otel and Venere so you can book your The Oberoi Grand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Grand Hotel Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Oberoi Grand Hotel
- Oberoi Grand Kolkata
- The Oberoi Grand India/Kolkata (Calcutta), Asia