“A very special experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oberoi Grand

Save Saved
You added The Oberoi Grand to your Saves list
The Oberoi Grand
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15, Jawaharlal Nehru Road, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700013, India   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Internet
Ranked #1 of 189 hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
London, United Kingdom
“A very special experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is a very special hotel indeed. Architecturally sophisticated, it displays grandeur but also a degree of late-Victorian/Edwardian reserve which reflects its colonial origins. The building reflects elegance, style and excellent workmanship throughout. It has also been well maintained in recent years. We stayed in a suite which was larger than average and beautifully furnished, with views overlooking the pool. The courtyard pool is extremely nice and it feels lovely to swim with the balconies, towers and palm trees of the hotel around you. The food and the hotel is exceptionally good. Kolkata is a special place for us because my wife's family come from the city, so we have been many times. However this is the first time we stayed in a hotel downtown, and it is so much fun to be to explore the city from your doorstep. (This was also our first visit to one of our favourite cities during the monsoon in the rain and humidity only added to the seductive atmosphere.) So, the hotel itself and the location are excellent. However, what truly marks out this hotel from almost any other we have stayed in is the astonishingly good service. The courtesy, politeness and charm of the staff from the manager down make the service quite literally impeccable. I would recommend this hotel without reserve not simply as a comfortable place to stay but as a unique experience in and of itself.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts the old world charm and the Victorian culture and the hotel and its setting is indeed intimate. Our pool side rooms have a great view of the swimming pool which has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest.

Baan Thai restaurant has been awarded as the best specialty restaurant of the city. The hotel is located next to the famous “New Market” of Kolkata. It is a preferred hotel of both our leisure and business travellers as it is located in the business hub of Kolkata. Our Chefs have been delighted to receive the words of appreciation from you. We are grateful for your appreciation of the services provided by the team. Your words of appreciation shall go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued guests.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

915 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in an amazing city centre location.
Stayed here on a business trip after several 5 star hotels across india. Oberoi Grand leaves the others way behind.
The staff are exceptional. Staff from hotels worldwide could benefit from a day here. Every next requirement is anticipated with great charm and grace. Worth staying just to realise that perfection is possible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We are grateful for your appreciation of the services provided by the team. Indeed it has been our endeavour to offer excellent accommodation, food and warm and friendly service to all our guests.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and to Kolkata.

mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed here 1 night on a business trip.The Hotel is situated quite close to Park street which is the biggest advantage even though the surrounding area is of typical Indian market place with lot of sound and people around.The checkin/out process were both smooth and took very little time. Inside though the hotel is quite peaceful though it feels a little old in places especially the elevators. The hotel was kind enough to change my room once because the AC was not special. Even in the second room it took a while for the Air Condition to cool the room. The room is quite large with all modern aminities. The gymnasium was a little small but adequate. Had a drink at the bar which was empty @ 9.00 in the evening. The breakfast spread was great and the service excellent. Overall an ok stay which could be better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay recently at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

It has been our utmost focus at The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata to provide our valued guests with personalized service that meets high standards of hospitality. Your appreciation and every detail mentioned has been a tremendous source of inspiration for our team members and I am sure your words of encouragement would definitely go a long way in inspiring and motivating the team to deliver Service Par Excellence to all our discerning guests. Indeed many of our guests identify the hotel as an oasis to come back to after spending a long day in the city.

I have noted your feedback about the air-conditioning not being effective in the room and have shared this with our Chief Engineer as well. Rest assured corrective actions have been put in place.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next visit to Kolkata.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Lovely hotel. Large comfortable rooms with a small balcony. A few small signs of wear and tear in carpet and finishings, but overall the hotel is well maintained.

The front desk staff were very helpful with recharging my pre-paid internet and my check in and check out were efficient.

One of the massage staff burnt the bottom of my foot with a hot rock and the whole massage was a bit inexpert. For the price that they charged, I expected an experienced therapist.

In the restaurant I was sat at a table that had an obviously dirty napkin on the table, two mornings in a row. One staff member tried to put the napkin on my lap, but I stopped him and he was apologetic, but as it was quite early both days and the restaurant not that busy I expected the staff to be aware of which tables were taken or not, and to clear them quickly.

The location is excellent with markets close by and restaurants within 15 mins walk, I would stay here again for this alone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time for this detailed review on Trip Advisor.

I am concerned to learn that your experience at the spa was not up to expectation and have also shared your feedback with our therapist. We take utmost precautions and ensure that our therapists are provided extensive training before they are introduced to our guests. I have also personally discussed your experience with our food and beverage manager, Spa Manager and our Training manager. Our restaurant team and our therapists understand the inconvenience caused to and are very disappointed with the feedback and on behalf of them I would like to extend my apologies. I can assure you that required corrective action will be taken and I invite you to experience this on your return visit to the hotel.

We are very grateful for your appreciation of the services provided by our front desk team. Your words of appreciation shall go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued guests. Our endeavour is to offer excellent hotel accommodation, food, service and technology to all our guests.

Asia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I'd stayed here last year but only literally on an overnight--checked in past 11 pm, left before 6 am. This time, when I had the opportunity to stay two days, I seized it.

Check in was so smooth it was almost frightening: they had kept all my details from my previous stay, including the newspaper of my request. All I had to do was sign off.

My only small annoyance was that I had what I thought was an Oberoi loyalty card. It turns out that it was not--it was a special promotion card that entitled me a free stay after several nights stay. It had expired.

I had a deluxe room that faced the courtyard and swimming pool. Imagine the hotel as U-shaped with the U as the corridor and the rooms lining it. The inner rooms are quieter.

Everything in the room worked. The toiletries were of good quality. The water pressure in the shower was fine.

I was able to try two of the restaurants and they were good.

Throughout the hotel, the staff were eager to please.

The hotel is located at the market where the Kolkatans shop. Actually, it is more like the market grew around the hotel.

Room for improvement? The last time I came, the driver was in casual outfit. This time, the driver was in uniform. He was still an outsourced contractor paid around US$100 a month. He needs tips to send home. So once again, this is the weak spot in the hotel as far as staff go.

Signage could be improved too. I went to the gym and, without asking anyone, I had a bit of diffculty, ending up in dead-ends twice.

Overall, it's a very good hotel and I would definitely stay here--when I can afford it--the next time I come.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. They may oblige.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your appreciation of the services provided by the team. Your words of appreciation shall go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued guests. Our endeavour is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt service to all our guests and my team and I feel privileged that you have considered writing this review.

I have also noted your feedback about signages to be more functional and effective and the hotel driver. Rest assured that the feedback has been taken with the seriousness it deserves and we invite you to stay with us to experience the same.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed here for a week on business and was very glad with the choice I made. Kolkata is a very busy, hectic city and the peace and quiet and sense of serenity in the hotel was very welcome.

It is quite a large property and in the centre of the city and very close to the New Market and the India Museum and not too far from the Victoria Monument.

It's a grand building, obviously built by the British. Very colonial in style wth marble and columns and panelled woodwork everywhere. It's really quite lovely and there is a very large pool in a central courtyard. You can get drinks and food delivered here while lounging on a sunbed.

I was on a corporate rate and had a smaller room. I could see the rooms across the hall facing the pool were bigger and had a four poster bed. Mine was fine though. A very comfortable bed, plenty of storage for unpacking, a desk, TV and a small bar fridge. The bathroom was fairly small with a shower over the bath. The bath is fairly shallow and has one of those overflow drains so you can't really have a deep bath. The shower is fine with good water pressure and the water throughout the hotel is drinkable. One tip, it has a double shower curtain that is not waterproof, so don't have one in the bath and one out as you'll end up with a pool of water on the floor after each shower. My room faced a side street and the windows had double glazing so the incessant beeping from the cars outside was not a problem. I was also sent a lovely flower arrangement by housekeeping. Not sure if everyone gets this as they arrived half way through my stay but it was a nice touch.

The air conditioning in the rooms can be quite bracing. Although it's usually 35 degrees outside, I was longing for my trackie daks and a long sleeve shirt, which I didn't pack, in my room. There's no blankets for the bed either, just sheets, so I was cranking the air conditioning up to 25 degrees each night.

I ate in the restaurant each morning for breakfast and they have an excellent buffet with a wide range of choices both western and Indian. Everything including cereal, breads, pastries, cheese, bacon, eggs, baked beans, juices, teas and coffee to Indian choices, none of which I can remember the names but all were tasty. I also ate dinner there a couple of times and the Indian food is excellent and the western food has an italian lean with pastas and pizzas available. Pizzas are thin crust and very good. Although I had the pepperoni pizza and got the trots the next day. Could have been anything though and I'm not saying it was the pizza as it tasted fine at the time but might be best to stick with the vego options. The wine list is quite limited and very expensive. $70 for Jacobs Creek shiraz cab blend! The Indian Sula shiraz was much better than I was expecting and was a slightly cheaper option.

The hotel will also organise a car and driver to pick you up from the airport or take you to your office each day. It's certainly comforting to be greeted with a sign at the aiport and be taken to your hotel in the comfort of a large car with air conditioning. I organised for a driver to take me to my office and pick me up each day and it was under Rs. 900 for each trip for the week which is a pretty good deal as I was going about 20kms each trip. A car I organised for a shorter distance through a corporate rate in Bangalore was Rs 1500 and a much smaller car. You can certainly get an ambassador taxi for much cheaper outside but it's a very different experience and the driver is likely not to speak much english and it won't be airconditioned and is likely to be very old. Driving in Kolkata is quite an experience and it's better to be in a car in good condition with air.

Now to the service. As everyone has said, it is very good. There are a mulitude of friendly staff to attend to your every need. You expect this from a five star hotel and you certainly get it here. Whilst I was here I need to get some stitches removed on a sunday. The concierge suggested a few places to me including a pharmacy and a clinic. He assigned me one of the staff who walked me to the pharmacy. They couldn't do it so we went further on to the clinic. They couldn't do it either so he walked me further to another clinic who also couldn't do it. They recommended a hospital who could do it. Of course it was quite an experience and I would recommend you carry some basic first aid things with you on any trip to India as the hosptial wasn't exactly first world. I made them use my alcoholic swabs and my tweezers and manicure scissors to do the job but it was all good in the end and only cost $4. But the guy from the hotel stayed with me through the whole thing and got me back to the hotel again. Now THAT'S service. And they won't take any tips.

The security at the hotel is pretty full on. Police doing bomb inspections at the front gate, the army with sub-machine guns inside and metal detectors every time you go inside. It's a bit shocking but after the Mumbai attack, I guess it's justified.

I really couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough regardless of whether you're visiting on business or holidays. It's luxury and for what you get, really very good value.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have balconies and a lovely view of the pool area.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time for this detailed review on Trip Advisor.

Indeed the hotel is located next to the famous “New Market” of Kolkata. It is a preferred hotel of both our leisure and business travellers as it is located in the business hub of Kolkata.

I have noted your feedback regarding the double shower curtains and will certainly have this checked and corrected. It is certainly meant to be waterproof Also housekeeping is equipped with extra blankets, dental kit, shaving kit and some basic requirements for a traveller which are available on request. The delicatessen range of products and cold meats are safe and the hotel does not compromise on hygiene and safety standards. We also comply with all HACCP standards and conduct audits.

Indian wines are very popular with guests. Custom duty and the tax structure on imported wines does escalate the selling price to some extent and therefore the prices of the imported wines are higher in comparison to the Indian brands. Our restaurant and bar menu pricing are made post market survey and we can assure you that we offer very competitive prices.

We are grateful for your appreciation of the services provided by the team. Our endeavour is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt service to all our guests and my team and we feel privileged that you have considered writing this review.

Thank you for having stayed and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We booked a premium room and had street view. No noise from outside. The staff is very friendly. We only had the breakfast buffet with was excellent. Food at the swimming pool was very expensive so we had lunch outside the hotel. At the pool they give you 2 small water bottles , cold towels and sun cream. We stayed in the beginning of March and the hotel was quite busy. Maybe the have to put a few extra loungers at the pool and certainly more umbrella's. The pool area is big enough. I had a massage in the hotel spa and it was not cheap but really nice. The hotel bar was quite empty at night , maybe this has to do with once again the high prices for a beer. We drove back to the airport with a hotel car at midnight and it took us 45 minutes. When you arrive in Kolcata airport there is a taxi stand.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I have also noted your feedback about the extra loungers at the pool side and would like to inform you that we have already placed few extra loungers at the poolside. Our restaurant and bar menu pricing has been done post market survey and we can assure you that we offer very competitive prices.

George Kuruvilla

Been to The Oberoi Grand? Share your experiences!