“TA BENGAL, KOLKATA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Bengal Kolkata

Save Saved
You added Taj Bengal Kolkata to your Saves list
Taj Bengal Kolkata
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34B,Belvedere Road | Alipore, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700027, India   |
Ranked #5 of 189 hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“TA BENGAL, KOLKATA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is indeed a jewel in Taj section.

Most stunning property of Taj Group of Hotel.

Buffet sucks, but ambience and room quality is awesome.

Staffs are cordial enough to help guests.

Rooms are descently organised with hygiene.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

719 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at the Taj Bengal for 10 nights during November. Overall, it was a nice stay. The location was good for me. It was my first visit to Kolkata so this location gave me a little more local feel. Within walking distance of several sites (Victoria Memorial, Zoo, Planetarium, National Library, etc) so that was a nice way to spend my weekend. I had a driver who made it about a 40 minute trip to the office. The hotel was clean and well kept. My room was nice, clean and well stocked with the appropriate ammenities. Room attendants kept a good supply of complimentary bottled water in my room. I worked in my room most evenings, and the room attendants respected the 'do not disturb' sign when lit. Pool area was nice and kept clean with a nice attendant/lifeguard on duty; a good place to relax. I had a room overlooking the pool so that was nice too. I used the business center a couple of times for a quick print and the staff was very helpful. Computers and printers worked with no problem. Two options for printing (internet or flash drive) were offered. Business Center provides 30-minutes free computer access each day. Wireless access is available in the room for an additional daily charge; check the rates if you are staying longer than a night because if you purchase multiple days of access in advance, it gets a little cheaper.

Now the not so good. I was very disappointed with the breakfast buffet. The spread was nice and the quality was good. But, it needed to be replenished several times when I went to the buffet and, therefore, I had limited options (unless I wanted to wait which my schedule did not allow). The service was not what I would expect for a Taj property either. For the most part, the wait staff was good. The 'managers' (the suits), on the other hand, were not. I couldn't see what value the suits were adding other than walking around and being in the way. One day, I ordered a waffle from the chef. A suit told me to be seated and he would bring it to me. It never arrived. Another day, three different suits asked if I would like a cup of tea. Yes, please. It never arrived. Two days later, two suits asked if I would like a cup of tea. Yes, please. Again, I never saw it. My last day there (after 10 days, I was ready to leave) they gave away my table while I was at the buffet. After telling 3 people I needed another table, a suit offered me a table which was already occupied by someone at the buffet line. At that point, I left and went back to my room. Soon, a suit appeared at my door to apologize that his wait staff made an error. Are you kidding me? First, you knocked on my door and interrupt a phone call when the 'do not disturb' sign was lit. Second, you are a manager blaming a problem on your staff rather than taking responsibility for it? Please go away, I'm busy. Any of the things that happened at the breakfast buffet were minor. My problem was that something happened almost every day of my visit so I can't give that consistancy a good review.

I did not try any of the other on-site restaurant options. I didn't have the desire after my experiences during breakfast.

While the entire staff was friendly, it was not the type of hospitality typical of a hotel of this caliber. Even after being there for 10 nights, I never felt like any of the staff knew I had been there for more than a night. Each time I saw someone, it was as if it was the first time they had seen me. The exceptions were the business center and morning room attendant. Those staff acted as if they knew me after the first meeting. After having been there for over a week, there were two consecutive days when I arrived at the hotel after work and was asked if I was "checking in". Well, no, I've been here for a week and you asked me the same thing yesterday at about this time.

For my next trip to Kolkata, I will have to decide where I want to stay. I liked this location and the amenities available. However, there are other options that I might try.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New Delhi, Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is one of the older Taj properties! Its convienient location, and the warm and efficient service, makes it a popular Hotel for a visit to Kolkota! The decor in the lobby and the rooms is terribly dated and requires a complete refurbishment! Whilst this reputed hotel chain has modernised some of their other properties, this one seems to have been ignored!
The restaurants are good, the morning breakfast area is a bit dark and jaded!
The hotel is a favourite wedding venue for the locals and the pool area is a crowded place during the large wedding dinners!
The Spa offers good services, but again the decor is dull! The massages were good , but DO NOT sit in the steam room, it erupts like Vesuvius when its switched ON!
The rooms are comfortable and clean enough with good amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors with a pool view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Although the hotel is exactly what you would expect from a tradition Taj property, Taj Bengal excels above the rest when it comes to great cuisine. There are plenty of restaurants offering a wide range of dishes. I highly recommend that you stay here just to enjoy some great food. I you are looking for some authentic bengali dishes try their restaurant called Sonargaon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was there in the hotel last week and was stunned at the level of hospitality provided during the trip. Even through there was a marriage party staying in the hotel, they ensured they didnt "take over" the hotel. service was 1st class and prompt. The location is a blessing if you have work in the city and dont need to travel to Salt Lake side. One regret, didn't dine there (i choose to enjoy the street food from breakfast to dinner) so cannot comment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Hotel is almost centrally located with all amenities of a 5* hotel.
Rooms size are big and they have various choice for the food. An excellet hotel overall.
They have multiple restaurant with choice of your taste. Excellnet pool.The lounge is well decorated in traditional style. well secured.

Room Tip: It is located in Alipore. very close to the victoria palace,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We returned from Kolkata very recently.
We were on a very emotional trip. Taking my late fathers ashes back to our family. The staff were aware of this, and couldn't have been more helpful, especially one front of house member, Samarpita Nandi who went out her way to help us, she was so very thoughtful with flowers for my family.
And please look out for the lovely Santosh the elevator attendant, who has the biggest smile and a huge knowledge of Kolkata.
We wil definitley come back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Taj Bengal Kolkata? Share your experiences!