“just an average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Continental Guest House

Save Saved
You added Continental Guest House to your Saves list
Continental Guest House
30A Mirza Galib St | Entrace Sudder Street, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700016, India   |
Jamshedpur
“just an average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The double room which i had is too small, apart from the bed there isn't any real space to keep the luggage.
The bath room was not having a heater or a mirror.
The bed was having a smell of kerosene, which is of the disinfectant they used.
The cable connection was not working.
The good thing is that,its close to park street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

well i have been to this hotel several times and there is no doubt about the services and the location being exceptionaly good.one of the best budget hotels in the surrounding.markets ,transportation makes it a easy and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Jagjit S, Owner at Continental Guest House, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Mr Asif
We appreciate your valued comments from the bottom of our heart. In fact it makes us all the more committed to serve you even better in the future. Looking forward to see you soon.
Kolkata
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Reliable: when i come to kolkata i prefer to stay at the continental guest house. Ive been staying there whenever i come to kolkata, since 1994. Ive stayed at other places in the sudder street area also, however i prefer the continental where i feel safe and sound. the staff are helpful and completely trustworthy. its a nice break from the usual chaos of India travel. rooms are clean and the bathrooms are always very well kept. It says in the lonely planet guide that there is only one common bathroom, however this should be updated since there are now 2 toilets and 2 showers for the common bath hotel rooms. the owner is quite knowledgeable about the area and has helped me out when i need directions or require a taxi to the airport. room prices are reasonable. so i recommend the continental when staying in kolkata.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr Ian
We thank you for your warm and kind remarks. It is the love and affection of people like you that makes our ordinary and simple guest house into a special one. It has been a pleasure and honor to serve you for almost two decades and will always look forward to make you feel at home when ever you are in Kolkata.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Terrible experience. Stayed there for 2 nights. The staffs behaved aloof. Never changed old bedsheet on second day morning. When we asked to change a dirty blanket they simply said they can't as there are no more blankets instead they gave us a white bedsheet and asked us to adjust. Never clean the bathroom. The list is on and on and on.

Moreover when we ask them if we can keep our luggage for an hour after checkin so that we can quickly grab a lunch they simply demanded Rs. 20 per luggage per hour!!!

Location wise it's good. If you are planning to come to this area if Calcutta then better you come and book the rooms yourself in person. There's no need to book them online as there's a plethora of guest houses in this area. The room in which we stayed were stinky and filthy. And they charged us 850 per room. Absolutely nonsense.

The foreign tourists has no idea about prevailing market rates and businesses like these are takin advantage of their lack of information.

In one word just chose something else than this hotel. None of the hotel staffs shows up but as we were leaving those shameless morons asked for tip! I denied it with a straight face. I had enough.

• Stayed January 2013
Jagjit S, Owner at Continental Guest House, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Mr Arin
I don't know what compelled you to write such false comments. To put the facts right, you stayed in room no 6 at our guest house and I give an open invitation to everybody reading this response to come and judge the facts for themselves. In fact number of good reviews written are from the guests who have stayed in that room !!! Secondly You were given almost new blankets and one of them had a small spot on it but mind it, it was not dirty still we gave you a fresh double bed sheet . Please don't distort the facts, we don't charge Rs 20/- per hour for the luggage , we charge it for the whole day but my manager still agreed to keep it without any charge for you. Lastly the waiter who took all your luggage all the way down to the main road and put it in a taxi and in return if the poor guy wished for a paltry tip, you call him a shameless moron !!!. Well I need not say anything about you because your comments amply reflect your personality.

Travelers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Busan, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Service: I was made to feel safe and welcome, which I much appreciated, as I was travelling alone. The manager is very helpful, but not invasive; help is there if you need it. The is no airport pick up service, but they did arrange a taxi to the airport for me.

Rooms: The rooms are basic, but clean, which suited me fine. I chose a room with a fan and air conditioning, which I would recommend. I am a light sleeper, but with earplugs and air conditioning didn't struggle to sleep. The noise isn't too bad anyway. You have a bucket and jug to shower, and there is also running cold water. There is always a lovely porter boy to hand to provide hot water, and I received more than enough.

Location: On the door step of markets, restaurants, metro and though this guest house doesn't provide wifi, there is a restaurant called JoJo's close by that provides it, and good food too. There is also an internet cafe nearby if you don't have the means for wifi. The entrance to Continental guest house isn't on the main street, which concerned me at first. However, the alleyway to the guest house is busy till about 8/9pm, and I wouldn't stay out past then anyway.

This hotel is great value for money, and if you have a clear trip account I would suggest you book via them, and sometimes you can get discounts.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a private bathroom and air conditioning if funds allow for it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Jagjit S, Owner at Continental Guest House, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Miss Katherine
We really appreciate your kind words from the bottom of our heart. It was a pleasure and honor to serve you during your stay with us and was more than happy to hear from you that you reached safely to your destination.Hope you have a great vacation. God Bless.
Reutlingen, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

After checking Tripadvisor, we decide to stay at Continental Guesthouse, because the reviews seems to be good. So we checked in for two nights. The owner who welcomed us is a really friendly and helpful person – so sorry to you for the bad review.

After the first night I had bites on my leg and first thought, they are from mosquitos. After our city tour I had a short nap in the afternoon and woke up, because something was walking over me. It was a Bedbug, which was full with my blood and I was covered with lots of new bites.

It was public holiday and weekend and the Hotel owner had two days off, so we went to another person, who seems to be responsible for the Guesthouse. We showed him the dead animal, but he was not really interested in our problem and first wants to finish his private 10min phone call. At least he called his boy, who put very sluggish some liquid under the matrass, so at the end my husband did the decontamination of the bed. They told us, we have to wait an hour and then all the animals must be dead. During that time we looked for another hotel, where we could stay for the next days. But for that night, we still had paid for our room, so we stayed, what was a mistake.

The “liquid” didn`t work. During the night I woke up and killed more bugs. So we decided we will not stay a minute longer in that terrible bed. My husband tried to leave the guesthouse to ask at another hotel, to check in during the night. But it was not possible to leave the building!!!! The Guesthouse door was closed. The manager, who slept next to the closed exit door, opened it after a while of discussion. But there was another door at the ground floor of the building. The security there refused to open the door.

So we had a terrible night, and left the hotel at 6 in the morning, what the manager couldn`t really understand. The last thing he gave us on our way was, that usually all hotels / guesthouses in Kolkata have bed bugs and that’s normal. But we can tell you – that’s not true. We have found a bedbug-free bed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jagjit S, Owner at Continental Guest House, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Miss Doris Ines
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at our guest house. Bed bugs are a problem which all the hotels face from time to time just for a simple reason that they easily get transported from one hotel to another unknowingly through cloths and luggage. We do our best to sanitize our rooms with best available medicines. I wish I could make your stay pleasant.
jagjit Singh Komal
Sambalpur, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Continental Guest House is very neat & clean. The room is well equipped & well furnished. Serving boys are well behaved. Service is very good. It is advisable to comfortable stay at such type of hotel. each and every time my visit to kolkata i like stay with.

Baljit Singh

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr Baljit Singh ji
Thank you very much for your appreciation. It was a pleasure to serve you during your stay with us. We will always look forward to be at your service whenever you are in Kolkata.
Jagjit Singh Komal

Been to Continental Guest House? Share your experiences!