“A must try for the uninitiated, a must revisit for the more fortunate like me!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Straits

Straits
105 S.P. Mukherjee Road | First Floor, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700026, India
91-33-24198604
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #100 of 1,357 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Cuisines: Malaysian, Nonya
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have pet restaurants that I always visit on my culinary pilgrimage whenever I'm back home in Calcutta - and Straits is my new addition to this list. I was hoping to try something new, and the prospect of Malay - Singaporean Cuisine definitely tickled my gastronomical curiosity.. and by God, has it been satiated! Having tried samplings of a similar kind of cuisine on my trips to Singapore, Malaysia and surprisingly South Africa (!), I was impressed with the authenticity of the flavors - and though some may say it is an acquired taste, I found it very adaptable to the Indian palette. I had the Prawn fritters for starters (the chilli sauce is mind-blowing), the sambal fried rice (amazingly nothing like anything I've tried anywhere in India), the eggplant and paneer gravy (great news for vegetarian patrons), and the tiger prawns in black pepper sauce (the prawns were so huge I had to check if they were baby lobsters) But the dish that truly blew me away was the dessert - Deep Fried Chocolate (sigh!) This was like a chocolate version of the corn dog and for once I'm not guilty despite the calories. The service was above par with an extremely enthusiastic and amicable staff. The decor looked carefully hand-picked and unique - with charming curios juxtaposed with quaint looking asian style furniture. The menu is concise and self explanatory and shows that the restaurant believes in only serving what they make best. I like the fact that I didn't have to scan through hundreds of dishes which would only make me more confused. Apart from the fact that I loved everything, I was impressed by the fact that the restaurant has tried to provide an equal number of good vegetarian dishes - so i can take my parents there next time :) To sum up - it is great value for money - with ample servings to justify the prices. And, don't miss the deep fried chocolate (sigh again!)

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kolkata
“An Unique Culinary Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This restaurant in a very accessible part of Kolkata is the right place for a relaxed meal with your family or partner. It specialises in Nonya Cuisine which combines Chinese, Malay & Thai culinary styles into an unique food experience. For starters Prawn Fritters(Cucur Udaan) is a must have for its heavenly flavors. In the Main section a bowl of steamed rice would go well with Mutton Rendang. On weekends the place also serves Hainanese Chicken Rice which when blended properly with the accompanying sauces tastes good. I suggest Sagu Gula Melaka for dessert. To me,the Nyonya style appeared a little on the sweeter side. It is certainly an acquired taste and at Rs. 1000/head i recommend it to foodies & culinary practitioners. Five star given to the restaurant for its wonderful hospitality starting right from Valet Parking. The ambience is cosy & the decor is tastefully done .The executive chef Chef Kumal loves to interact with the patrons & makes you feel very welcome. To sum up, for a few extra bucks this is a wonderful place to expand your food horizon.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Lamb-bastic Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012 via mobile

Being a foodie I came in with an expectation and the chef blew me off my feet literally...

It was no where on the menu but the Lamb Chops that he got were heavenly

Straits has now become one of my have toos on visitng Kolkata

Way to go Straits

Paris, France
“A Gourmet Jewel in the City of forgotten palaces”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

It was such delight to visit this extra ordinary restaurant in Kolkata, a City which is known for its culinary delights, where everyone including the locals would reccomend the same old places on Park Street. With the advent of change in the air in Paschim Banga (West Bengal) It was about time a place of such elegance and character would open its doors in a lovely neighbourhood of Kalighat.

Its a very cosy place, with exceptional standard of service and courtesy by the staff and ofcourse very authentic Malay/Singaporean cuisine which is so different from the usual Chinese which is server in every other place in town.

Kong Po Chicken, Char Kwey Teow and Sago Gula Melaka are my favourites, but everything on the menu must be tried atleast once as they are so unique and delicious.

Bravo to the young restauranteur Joydeep who is so passionate about ensuring a memorable time for every guest who comes to STRAITS.

wishing the entire team of Straits all the very best

Warmly
ABHI

• Visited February 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Singaporean / Mallay food in BENGAL :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Hey People,

Nomoshkar, hello and hola. Sorry for the repititive salutation, but I am new to this sphere of review writing for "FOOD". Now, when in the city of joy and amongst the fond food eating people in "Kolkata / Calcutta", the only thing people do with sincere pride and pleasure is eat good "FOOD". Now !!! "Straits" has been a personal revelation as this restro is off the hook. I have tried malayasian cuisine earlier during my transient stay in the "states", but having revisted some authentic malay food after ages has been mind blowing. For all those food lovers in Kolkata, or planning a visit to Kolkata I suggest you guys pay a visit to this mecca of good malayasian cuisine atleast once. I personally have developed an addiction for the "Butter fried Prawns" - have to try this to believe this. The "Top Hats" are amazing, the traditional "Mutton Rendack *(mutton with coconut milk and lemon grass)*", with rice or "flat top noddles with chickem, eggs and shrimps" is something that just hits the spot. I am cursing myself for visiting "Straits" after its opening of 6 months. To top this good food you guys have to say hello to the proud owner and manager of the restaurant ; Mr. Joydeep Chatterjee, the ultimate host with just one core objective - " Eat good food and feed even better food".

If any of you pay a visit just tell Mr. Chatterjee that a friend Mr. Souvik Sen said thanks for good food.

Cheers,