“Run, don't walk from this place!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Plaza Hotel

You added Southern Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Southern Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   73 Southern Avenue, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700029, India   |
Tampa, Florida
“Run, don't walk from this place!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I fully agree with the reviewer that says this is a nightmare. I was booked here and the first problem is that taxi drivers don't know where it is. Mine stopped and asked people on the street no less than 8 times before finally locating it.

Checking in was a nightmare. I offered my passport as identification and the person refused it, taking my driving licence instead. Half an hour later he rang to ask for the passport. I had to bring it to him and wait while he figured out how the photocopier worked.

I was given a very small room (room 401). It was about 3 square metres and had a single bed with 2 nightstands. There was no room for me to squeeze past the suitcase which was wedged into a corner. I started to feel claustrophobic and I am not normally so. The staff had commandeered a room across the hall as a makeshift common room where they could be seen (and heard!) lunging about, they consolidate all laundry there. It was disturbingly loud and they didn't seem to care about the guests. A couple of times, staff members pushed past me to get into the (very narrow) elevator.

The room was musty and dank smelling. There was dust everywhere and the carpet was frayed. I asked for another room and was told that nothing was available.

There is a restaurant but it was being renovated and workers kept pounding hammers until the late hours of the night. There are no eateries close by. A 10 minute walk will afford a couple of bars however.

Water in the shower was barely lukewarm.

Breakfast was scant and the same items 2 days in a row. Leftovers?? Service was non-existent. The only greeting from a solemn-looking staff upon walking in was "Room number?". Then they disappeared. Tea was cold in the teapot.

I checked out after 2 nights and moved into the Peerless Inn. Worlds apart from this dive. Check out reviews of the Peerless and go there. Avoid the Southern Plaza.

Room Tip: Get a room in ANOTHER hotel! That's the best tip I can give you.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed with my family in this hotel for 3 days while in Kolkata to attend a wedding. , it is located in a calm and quite area of Kolkata ,needless to say that you can expect a homely atmosphere. The hotel provides all facilities and there is nothing much to write about any deficiency in this regard. Rooms are clean and spacious . Room service is good. What you like is the attitude of the front desk and I could see that they were very courteous and helpful to an overseas visitor who had his room keys with his fiance who had gone out for local purchasing. They offered to provide him with an alternate room till the room is opened with master keys or till his friend returned. The hotel is close to Rash Behari Avenue , the hub of road side markets and you need not worry about spending evenings gainfully . The place is also close to a big park where I could see lot of people doing jogging and other exercises All in all, I like the place .I wish they were a little cheaper.

Room Tip: Please ask for room cleaning and other facilities when you move out for work , otherwise you may fin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

ok so this hotel we booked a month inadvance ,paid up for a triple occupancy room. When we arrived in Kolkata non of the taxi drivers including the pre-paid taxi company knew where this hotel was located so we drove around Kolkata for approximately two hours ,sticking our head out the windows looking for this place. Eventually we found it but their signage wasnt working so obviously we couldn't spot the place. Its now 11pm we totally tired we enter reception and its reeking of urine. We then show the reception our booking and thats when the drama started . The receptionist and the porter man start conversing . It turns out that the triple occupancy room that we booked was just given out an hour before we arrived,however they start denying this and tell us we only booked a single room when we had physical proof that we paid for a triple occupancy room. Then they take us to a minute room and tell us they going to put a single bed in as well when there is virtually no space to walk in or out the room with the extra bed in . Also their rooms have no windows. So obviously i hit the roof and insisted i speak to the manager after a few excuses he spoke to be but still maintaining that i didnt pay for a triple room and that a single room with a extra bed is what im going to get. After immense pressure at about 1AM they decided to upgrade the room to a deluxe room at no charge. Although they upgraded us they are a terrible hotel ,no service clearly out to make money and poor attitude . Its not worth the star rating that they have ,rooms are tiny ,no windows or natural light and the lift is incredibly tiny and claustrophobic. Also the buffet breakfast is extremely tiny and the dinning hall has literally 3 tables. I wouldnt waste my money here !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ajmer, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel staff went above and beyond to make our stay very personal , were always available for assistance or information, and were very accommodating, the hotel is excellent or the price and it served my purpose i regularly stay here as staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: do try for front facing deluxe room... higher floor............
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Southern Plaza during my recent visit to Kolkata for a wedding out of 32 rooms in the hotel our group had booked 22 rooms and by this the hotel was totally full. This is a small three star property with basic amenities though they tried to fulfill your requirements by good toiletries and good bathroom, but hot water was limited.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Antananarivo, Antananarivo, Madagascar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks during an NGO trip. The hotel staff went above and beyond to make our stay very personal They knew me by name, were always available for assistance or information, and were very accommodating to our needs as a team, such as serving breakfast an hour earlier than the standard hours. The food for breakfast was good, the dinners we had were excellent. Wifi was the only challenging aspect, as it was hit-or-miss. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Location was a definite advantage as well, as it was a 10-minute walk to the subway or to several good restaurants. I would gladly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

the hotel is excellent or the price and it served my purpose i regularly stay here as staff is very friendly. it is a little far from the airport however the ride is not so fare was there in 25 minutes

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Been to Southern Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!