“strange GH with crazy rules” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Youth Hostel Kolkata

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Youth Hostel Kolkata
You added Youth Hostel Kolkata to your Saves list
1D, Hem Dey Lane | (Adjacent to Rabindra Bharati University, B.T.Road), Kolkata (Calcutta) 700 050, India   |
Berlin, Germany
“strange GH with crazy rules”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hostel was clean but the rules were crazy.
I payd around 5 dollar for a doubleroom with bathroom. the both rooms in the first floor was very clean!
The stuff is really friendly.
The eating was terrible.
The lounge is only in the morning and evening use.
From 22 clock is the entry closed and whoever comes later has to pay something. You can not have your own lock on your door, otherwise you have to pay again.
All the rules now would be beyond the scope but I have steadfastly refused even where in addition to throwing money into the throat.
The streets around the hostel was really dirty and [--].

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

After the first overwhelming impression of seeing a sea of people everywhere, you arrive at this quaint little hostel which caters to the budget traveller. Keep expectations really low cause they deliver service and quality just about a shade below Average. Considering its access to the market and university, it is surely a student's paradise. A brief 1 or 2 day stay is the recommended duration, post which the hostel tests one's tolerance and patience. Avoid if possible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Portlaoise, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Calcutta was one of the places I visited during my around the world trip and I stayed in the Youth Hostel Kolkata for three nights in February 2011. My trip is now over. I traveled through more than 20 different cities and when I am sitting here at home in my favorite armchair and thinking about all those nearly three dozens of different places I stayed on my way, I know that my visit in the Youth Hostel Kolkata brought with it one of the most memorable experiences. So why do I preferred one places to the others?

Of course the hostels, in terms of luxury, cannot be compared with 4 stars hotels with all their big lobby halls and baths in the rooms. But when I stay in hostels, I am not looking for luxury. However wherever I go, and no matter if it is a hotel or a hostel, I always seek for an exceptional service. And this is what I found in the Youth Hostel Kolkata.

The crew was friendly, very polite and rushed to help me in whatever I needed. When I left my laundry, it was returned to me not only clean, but also perfectly folded. I got my own room and the place was clean and very safe. By either auto-rickshaws or taxi I was able to get to the banks of the Ganges River or to the metro station within few minutes and within approximately a half an hour to the city center.

Rana - the owner of the hostel, knew that I was doing my around the world trip, so when I arrived, he came to meet me personally. We also spent some time together drinking coffee, talking and sharing our thoughts during next two days. And when the time to say goodbye came, he invited me to his own house for a coffee and introduced me to his family. Can you imagine???? Moreover, my around the world trip was done based on the Jules Verne’s book ‘Around the world in eighty days’ and before I even arrived in Calcutta he made an effort to find an old Bengali version of the book in his library. I was touched. This small gesture was far more important for me than everything else I experienced in other places and made me feel exceptional.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Accommodation is simple and nice, i like the food cooked there too. Only problem is distance from the main city, but the hostel people are happy to help and give directions.The victoria Memorial was nice and the metro is so cheap with AC!!!The Tram takes ages to move.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Berhampore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

The location of the hotel is good. Rooms are of all types. First we were offered a small room, but after several appeals we were offered a room with a little bigger in size. The hotel attracts some noise from the beside roadways but it is minimal. The room service is not best but it could be even better. Above all it is a good economic hotel in this location although location is not prime. The food is not upto the mark but it is so so. A little stay in this hotel is good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

This hotel is more or less similar to the other youth hostels all over India. In kolkata its located in a whatsoever decent location. The hotel is neat,tidy and organized, the staffs are helpful. The food is ok. For a small office tour or so, i felt this hotel is appropriate.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
bhagalpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

the hotel is a nice one that you can get from the cheap one available at kolkata.the problem with it is its location which is very far from the main city making it terrible for night viewing and seeing city life at kolkata.anyways,you will find the value for money as at this cheap rates,you will be provided almost all the facilities possible with a low-cost hotel.the food is particularly made for non-vegetarians and with big diet holders so please advise them to serve less food,otherwise it will get wasted anyway.nice for a small budget and foodie people.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Youth Hostel Kolkata? Share your experiences!