“Best Backpacker Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Galaxy

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Galaxy
You added Hotel Galaxy to your Saves list
3 Stuart Lane, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700 016, India   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seoul, South Korea
“Best Backpacker Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The room is great , but the staff is even better. After 6 months in India we were blown away with the friendliness. Hotel Galaxy is the best option to stay at Sudder Street. The rooms are very clean.I assure to everyone that it is the best option you can have in Kolkata.I'll be back to Kolkata and for sure I'll stay at Galaxy again. I super recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

There is not much space for luggage, the rooms are very clean but not much ventilation as the windows are very small. Hence they will try to sell AC rooms which cost more. I would consider it a bit pricy RS 750 for non AC and above for a backpackers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Galaxy during our 5 night stay in Kolkata during the Durga festival in October. Kolkata is a great city and this budget hotel is in a good location. It is reasonably priced, centrally located, the staff are friendly and helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. We appreciated having both a fan and A.C. There was a small sitting area where other travellers often met to swap stories, and share ideas. We teamed up with another traveller one day to explore the city, and the owner was more than pleasant; he also gave solid advice.
A good choice.
Chris Hughes ottawa, Canada

Room Tip: Tourism is down so all hotels will bargain re: rate.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hotel Galaxy is one of the best things that happened to me in Kolkata. I was on my trip alone and i can bet, i would not have found a safer to stay. The Hotel owner Harry dhadha was of great help and i cannot ask for a better company for my morning coffees. He was a guide through out my trip, he was always there to help me out with directions and places.
Talking about the rooms, it was squeaky clean with all that u need and it worth the money u spend for it.
i would strongly recommend this place for everyone be it a family or for solo. Added advantage for all those shopaholics out there, this place is like 2 minutes walk away from the main market of the city. B-))
Though i stayed in galaxy for only couple of days, i cherish every moment i spent there. i thank Harry dhadha for giving me such a wonderful memory. waiting to get back once again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Galaxy is excellent value and hassle-free. Rooms are clean and our bathroom was a good size with everything we needed. Staff friendly and don't give you any bother, they offer advice on getting where you are going etc if they see you studying map but never any hassle to spend more money as in other places. Would certainly use again and recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights, and would have stayed again on our return to kolkata, but they were full booked.
The place is clean, and the room are relatively good value. You can get a small AC room for 800. The staff was the friendliest we've met. They helped us find another hotel when we returned for our luggage.
Location is good except for the using smell on the street, whether you come from the north or south.
Luggage Storage was 10 rupees per item per day.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was here for 2 weeks in June and July of 2013.

Staff: Very friendly, used to westerners, very accommodating and very authentic. I never felt like they wanted to take advantage of me monetarily because I was a westerner. Westerners are their business.

Other guests: All young foreigners from france, spain, germany, china, korea, america, argentina, etc. Indians are not the clientele.

Cleanliness: nothing to complain about, very clean

Pricing: 800 INR for a double (no AC). You can get a single for 200 INR, no AC, bathroom in hallway. That's the way I'd do it. You'd have a desk, chair and bed in a clean little room. The communal bath is for one person so you have your privacy.

Room Tip: If I could do it over again, I'd choose one upstairs or downstairs in the back
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
hotelgalxy_kol, Owner at Hotel Galaxy, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your very nice comments and good words with regard to our hotel. We treat all our guests with honour and feel pleasure if we and our staff any be helpful to our guests and make them feel that they are staying in a big familly with members from different parts of the world under one roof.

Thanks once again and look forward to welcome you at our hotel whenever you come to Kolkata.

Regards
HOTEL GALAXY

Been to Hotel Galaxy? Share your experiences!