“" Waiting to get yet another chance"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Galaxy

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Galaxy
You added Hotel Galaxy to your Saves list
3 Stuart Lane, Kolkata (Calcutta), India   |
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“" Waiting to get yet another chance"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hotel Galaxy is one of the best things that happened to me in Kolkata. I was on my trip alone and i can bet, i would not have found a safer to stay. The Hotel owner Harry dhadha was of great help and i cannot ask for a better company for my morning coffees. He was a guide through out my trip, he was always there to help me out with directions and places.
Talking about the rooms, it was squeaky clean with all that u need and it worth the money u spend for it.
i would strongly recommend this place for everyone be it a family or for solo. Added advantage for all those shopaholics out there, this place is like 2 minutes walk away from the main market of the city. B-))
Though i stayed in galaxy for only couple of days, i cherish every moment i spent there. i thank Harry dhadha for giving me such a wonderful memory. waiting to get back once again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Galaxy is excellent value and hassle-free. Rooms are clean and our bathroom was a good size with everything we needed. Staff friendly and don't give you any bother, they offer advice on getting where you are going etc if they see you studying map but never any hassle to spend more money as in other places. Would certainly use again and recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights, and would have stayed again on our return to kolkata, but they were full booked.
The place is clean, and the room are relatively good value. You can get a small AC room for 800. The staff was the friendliest we've met. They helped us find another hotel when we returned for our luggage.
Location is good except for the using smell on the street, whether you come from the north or south.
Luggage Storage was 10 rupees per item per day.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was here for 2 weeks in June and July of 2013.

Staff: Very friendly, used to westerners, very accommodating and very authentic. I never felt like they wanted to take advantage of me monetarily because I was a westerner. Westerners are their business.

Other guests: All young foreigners from france, spain, germany, china, korea, america, argentina, etc. Indians are not the clientele.

Cleanliness: nothing to complain about, very clean

Pricing: 800 INR for a double (no AC). You can get a single for 200 INR, no AC, bathroom in hallway. That's the way I'd do it. You'd have a desk, chair and bed in a clean little room. The communal bath is for one person so you have your privacy.

Room Tip: If I could do it over again, I'd choose one upstairs or downstairs in the back
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
hotelgalxy_kol, Owner at Hotel Galaxy, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your very nice comments and good words with regard to our hotel. We treat all our guests with honour and feel pleasure if we and our staff any be helpful to our guests and make them feel that they are staying in a big familly with members from different parts of the world under one roof.

Thanks once again and look forward to welcome you at our hotel whenever you come to Kolkata.

Regards
HOTEL GALAXY
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

GREAT hotel. Our double AC room was sparkling clean and had the nicest bathroom I've ever used in India (which also included toilet paper—amazing). We had no problems with bugs, which in my experience is also quite rare in India. The price was reasonable at 850 rupees a night for the double AC room, and friends told me they have smaller, non-AC rooms for as low as 400 rupees.

One minor issue is that there was construction during the day and so there was a lot of noise if you went back to the room during the afternoon. But this was never a problem at night or early in the morning, so this was fine.

The staff are friendly and helpful, although there are only one or two who speak any English and their English isn't great. But they are helpful and they were honest and up front about prices. The hassle for tips at one point near the end was annoying, but my understanding is that all hotel staff in Kolkata do this, and they weren't too pushy, so this wasn't a big issue.

My only other complaint is that they are too popular! So I was unable to change to a smaller room after my traveling companion left. But I'm not surprised – the place is a great value. Definitely try to get a room here if you're coming to Kolkata and want to stay near Sudder St. Email them to get a reservation as there may not be rooms left if you try to get one on arrival.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
hotelgalxy_kol, Owner at Hotel Galaxy, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest
Thanks for your very valuable and good comments regarding our hotel. Yes the noise during day time which you have mentioned is due to ongoing renovation of rooms and addition of new rooms and demand in our hotel is more than the rooms available which you have written in your comments. We are adding rooms so that we can serve guests like you.This is a matter of few weeks, once renovation is complete there will be no noise even during afternoon hours.
Yes our staff lacks in speaking English.
Regarding your complaint that we are popular, and all this credit goes to guest like you and for the goods comments from our honourable guests who stay in our hotel.
We are honoured by your goods words and feel proud that you liked our place and the little service we had provided you during your stay in our hotel. with us.
Thanks once again and look forward to meet you again whenever you come to Kolkata.
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I really liked the time I spent at Hotel Galaxy! Of course every place has its positives and negatives, but in my opinion, Hotel Galaxy is the best option to stay at Sudder Street. More than a good hotel manager, Harry is part of my family in India! All the staff are very helpful and friendly! They were always offering tea! And once, Gobin, one who works there, shared his dinner with me and a friend! Where else can this kind of thing happen?! The rooms are very clean. I have to say that Hotel Galaxy must have a internet wi fi and maybe try to enlarge the space where travelers gather to talk! I'll be back to Kolkata and for sure I'll stay at Galaxy again. I super recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
hotelgalxy_kol, Owner at Hotel Galaxy, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thanks very much Barbara, all of us miss you. All of us have spent very good time with you during your long stay in our guest house. During your stay you was a part of our small family members of our guest house staff. We have shared good moments with you every time in the evening hours.
We have noted your suggestion for WI FI, and planning is going to install WI FI connection in our guest house.
Sure we look forward to host you whenever you visit India and Kolkata. Thanks once again barbara. We all miss you.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Galaxy for over three months, and I can vouch that the establishment is exceptionally well run. The owner is a wonderful fellow, who is incredibly helpful and honest. He genuinely cares about your well-fare. I was sick for some time, and he would check up on me and make sure I had medicine and water - quite a comfort when you are in a strange city and don't know anybody! The owner is simply a wonderfully good and honest person, which is such a nice thing to rely on when you are traveling.
The rooms were kept quite clean, and most of the rooms have hot water. I am very glad I chose Hotel Galaxy; it is like a little oasis in the chaos of Sudder Street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
hotelgalxy_kol, Owner at Hotel Galaxy, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our guest house. It is always a pleasure to have guest like you who appreciate the little things and we are honoured that we were of some service to you during your days at kolkata. Our priority is always the guests who stay at our place and it is our priviledge to extend all the hospitality that we can. We look forward to hosting you again at our place and wish you all the best for your further adventures in life.
HOTEL GALAXY

Been to Hotel Galaxy? Share your experiences!