“Great budget property in the heart of Kolkata!” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Esplanade Chambers to your Saves list
Hotel Esplanade Chambers
2, Chandni Chowk St | 2nd Floor, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700072, India   |
“Great budget property in the heart of Kolkata!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Visited Kolkata after 14 years and wanted to stay in & around the Esplanade area. This hotel was perfect for our needs, especially since the metro station was just a minute's walk. We had booked early and had requested for the room with the large bathtub, as they have only 1. We were very pleased with the service staff as they were all very helpful and very accommodating to our requests. Great Wi-Fi service and free to top it all. I also appreciate that the owner/management pay heed to all the feedback and do whatever possible to satisfy their customers requests :)
Definitely recommend for people on a budget but want clean rooms and good quality service!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms towards the back to avoid the traffic noise for peaceful sleep...room # 24 has a large...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Nagpur, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

firstly the fact that it is close to a metro station says it all. secondly the hotel may not be the best around....but does provide for all the facilities that u wud be needing. i stayed there with my friends and we had an awesome time, staff was helpful when neede....we didnt bother much about it as we were away most of the day....however the manager was just the guy you need for all the info abt kolkata...
we were eating mainly fast food there since we didnt know about good local restaurants, but on the last day we asked him for a suggestion and recomended ARSALAN....and i can say it was the best NON-VEG meal i have ever had in my life !
the beds were clean, AC & TV worked properly. lots of cupboards to store ur stuff too. Bathrooms were a bit cramped too our liking though

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
naushina j, Owner at Hotel Esplanade Chambers, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
i am glad you had a good trip to our city ,and enjoyed your stay with us .
Hua Hin, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Rooms are depressingly run down. Walls need cleaning and painting. Service is good. wi fi is the main reason I stayed here. Location convenient, down an alley and up a shaky lift. Quieter than the Broadway. Despite depressing rooms, sleep quality was good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
naushina j, Owner at Hotel Esplanade Chambers, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
We are happy to inform that we have painted most of the rooms and bathrooms ,.we will be introducing tea trays in the executive rooms as well.
please suggest any other ways we can make the rooms more comfortable,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I meant to write this review months ago, but here it is now! I was travelling alone in India which isn't always an easy thing to do and I needed to stay in Kolkata twice, once before visiting the Andaman Islands and then again after, as I was waiting on a Bangladesh visa. I was a little apprehensive about these parts of my trip, especially as I was on a budget and after Delhi was a bit worried about what kind of lodgings I could get for my cash in a big Indian city.
Well Esplanade Chambers may not have been the Oberoi but what it lacked in obvious luxury it more than made up for in it's welcome and fantastic service and sensitivity to my situation.
Aftab was amazing and one my first night there helped me organise some dinner and made sure I was comfortable and organised my transfer to the airport.
When I returned, it was great for me to know that I was headed somewhere safe, clean, where they valued my custom and were very hospitable. I was looked after very well for 4 nights and Aftab even took me to a local fabric shop and organised for a tailor to visit my room so that I would have suitable clothes for Bangladesh. Also the wifi in most rooms is really good, I was able to Skype and the tv channels were good too!
Thanks so much for everything and sorry I didn't write this sooner!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have great wifi.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
thank you for your comments We are happy you felt safe and looked after .
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very good location, close to Chandni Chowk Metro Station. Very friendly and helpful staff. We arrived at 7am and had to wait till 12pm to check in. But we could leave our luggages at reception. Good size room. The room we got was a bit noisy as it was from road side.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review .we will try to make the rooms soundproof in our next phase of improvement.
Weimar, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed for two nights in a single room in Esplanade Chambers. I checked in at 8am without any problem and could use the full checkout time wich is at noon. I also was allowed to store my backpack at the reception until my flight to Dhaka was departing. The service is perfect: They serve breakfast to your room between 8-10am and you can choose between continental and indian style breakfast. There is toilet paper in the bathroom, you'll get a clean towel and some soap when you check in. I payed 800 INR for one night for a single room, which is quite a lot compared to the rest of India but for Calcutta it seems to be fine. The room was very clean, had a TV, a phone, a useful shelf and a small table. The matress was not the softest but I still had a good sleep. You can hear the traffic from the street but it softs off during the night, so you don't have to bother with earplugs. The bathroom was also spotless. The management is very friendly and helpful. It's located right next to a metro station which is perfect to explore the city. But also many atractive sights are in walking distance. The BBG area is nice to stroll around. The entrance is also easy to find: Just turn right after the metro "Chandni Chowk" from the main street (coming from the river) and look for a big "Gypsys Restaurant" sign. Markets are just all around the hotel where you'll find everthing you'll need if you want. Overall I really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: Biggr rooms are better, but single rooms are still good and have a window.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for your appreciation
cochin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here for 4 and half days . Though a bit more for a backpack or budget traveler this hotel is equivalent to your home .

@1100 rupees - clean room , well arranged room , central location , ac , satellite tv , polite staff , helpful manager , water heater , breakfast ( bread toast , omelet , coffe ) , lot of cupboards to store your things , large towel , soaps and shampoo , 24*7 service , laundry (rs 15/dress) , high speed wifi , allows to keep your luggage in hotel till 8 hours after checkout .

what can you accept more from 1100 rupees ?

Room Tip: choose a room not facing road for silence of sleep in day
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your photographs and comments .we are happy you found our hotel comfortable

Been to Hotel Esplanade Chambers? Share your experiences!