“Character-filled hotel, amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Broadway Hotel

You added Broadway Hotel to your Saves list
Broadway Hotel
27A Ganesh Chandra Avenue, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700013, India   |
Ranked #29 of 191 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Berlin, Germany
“Character-filled hotel, amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice on my way through Kolkata on a recent trip to India. Of all the places I stayed on that three-month trip, this was by far the best. Best value and best overall experience.

The hotel oozes character - lots of old-school charm, as only Kolkata can do it. From stepping off the street into the cozy lobby, to the old elevator, the dark staircases...everything right through to the great rooms (which were spotless by Indian standards).

The staff were also great. Sure, some guys are quieter than others, but all are willing to help when asked. My wife was really sick on the first stay and the staff were nothing short of brilliant, even walking us over to visit the doctor they recommended (and saying no to the tip for doing so).

We stayed in April and May, so it was a hot time to visit. The absence of hot water wasn't an issue. Sure, it was hot inside...damned hot. But there's a fan and it does the trick. If you're visiting Kolkata in the hot season, you're going to be hot at some point so you may as well be warm in your hotel too so you can acclimatise. It was never too hot to sleep.

Honestly, a brilliant place that I can't recommend enough. It isn't for everybody - not in the backpacker enclave of Sudder St, nor is it a fancy five-star place - but it's unique, clean, comfortable and definitely character-filled.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

At approximately US17 per night the Broadway is good value for money. However, there are some matters worthy of note. It is difficult to stay here during the hot season March to September due to the lack of air conditioning. On the other hand I found the absence of hot water in the hot season to be not a bother. For some reason the ceiling fan did not ameliorate my situation and I had to turn it off during the night. The 5.00 am Muslim call to prayer next door was not a problem for me as I am an early riser. However, I did have a problem with noise during the night from the elevator and other miscellaneous sources but I am very susceptible to noise disturbance. All in all not too bad a stay and would probably return if my visit is during the cool season.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms facing away from the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
hong kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

End of January 2014 we stayed at the hotel for two nights.
The GOOD things about this hotel are:
The Price of the rooms are very reasonable.
The location. It is close to the Metro station and there is a great Egg Roll stall right next to the hotel and a shop selling bottle waters.
The 24 hour Check-in, Check-out is wonderful when you are arriving or departing at odd hours.
The room was very big, clean and we also had a Balcony with view of the road. There was a TV and the bathroom was clean.
The BAD things about the hotel are:
There is no AIR CONDITIONER or COOLER in the room. Only a Ceiling Fan is available. We can not imagine staying here unless it is cold in Kolkata!
It was very noisy at night and early morning due to the traffic on the main road and Mosque situated very close to the hotel.
There is no Hot water in the Bathroom so you need to ask for it and it takes time for them to bring it for you.
We were on the top floor and in the early morning there was banging noise coming from the roof. We checked and found out that they were doing laundry on the roof!
Honestly speaking if I was passing through Kolkata during its cooler months when Aircon is not required then I would stay at the Hotel again due to the location and the great Room Rates.
The gentlemen taking care of the bookings and reception are capable and professional.

Room Tip: No Aircondition so be aware although their rooms have high ceiling.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Chandigarh, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

It was a complete wrong decision while booking with this hotel, entire operation is a failure, staff hardly understand about customers expectation, common local informations are also troublesome if you ask them.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I had to put up my friends in this hotel during their recent visit to Kolkata, hotel itself is shabby and its not atall a full service Hotel. I won't suggest this to anybody. Only advantage was the location.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I spent two nights at the Broadway in room 39. I chose that room because it appeared furthest from the street noise. However, my main reason for not staying any longer was due to just that, the noise. At night there was some noise, though not very loud, coming from various quarters both from within the hotel and outside. Had I been younger I would have gladly stayed longer but at my age I need a very quiet night to get some zzzzzzs. I have relocated but still go to the restaurant for lunch. This hotel is excellent for backpackers and young people who are trekking through India. The rooms are spacious and I had one of the most enjoyable cold showers I have eve had after returning to my room from an exhausting excursion. Definitely recommended for budget travellers who can sleep through a little noise.

Room Tip: I think room number 12 is quite good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Mainz, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

It was hard to find a good place in this crazy city, finally we found this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly, they checked us in very late (after 1 am) because our flight was delayed. Food was okay and cheap. Rooms were really big and clean!!! No hot water and no ac, but a good fan. The water thing was no problem either, Kolkata is a humid and hot city and we enjoyed the cold shower (which wasnt really cold). The location was good, a bit noisy. The hotel looks nice from the inside, colonial style. We liked our stay and would come again!!! Over all it was EXTREMELY cheap!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Broadway Hotel? Share your experiences!