“Character-filled Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Broadway Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Broadway Hotel
You added Broadway Hotel to your Saves list
27A Ganesh Chandra Avenue, Kolkata (Calcutta) 700013, India   |
Ranked #32 of 201 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Character-filled Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

The Broadway Hotel was exactly what we hoped it would be, full of an atmosphere of 1940s colonial-era India. Some aspects of the hotel were pretty basic, no hot water, bucket showers, and no AC, however, the decor and price made it more than worth it- and the heat of Kolkata means a cold shower is exactly what you feel like anyway. The rooms are large with high ceilings and fans so you do not need AC anyway. The location is great, walking or a short taxi distance from all the great stops, and lots of good restaurants nearby.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the restaurant/bar is really fun to have a drink in at night when its packed with locals. The breakfasts are really reasonable and the masala omelettes the best we had on our trip.
The only negative that would give me pause to return is the noise at night, our room was at the back of the hotel, however, it was still really noisy at night- traffic, dogs, crows and people in the alleyway to the side of the hotel. I would return, and recommend it, but bring earplugs in case you are not a heavy sleeper or jeglag wakes you up in the night!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank HollyGriffin

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

In late February, I stayed in Broadway hotel for three nights. This is my second stay here. My first stay was three years ago with my family. This time, I came for a short trip. The reasons I chose Broadway are:
1. Location: Very near to Chadni Chawk metro, so easy to give direction to taxi driver
2. Several eating places nearby, Mission café right across the street, Shabir hotel is 5 min walk. Park street is a short metro or taxi ride
3. Hotel is clean. It is an old place with fixtures and furnitures in bad shape, but everything is clean
4. Very reasonable rate unlike other hotels who charges European rate for Indian standard hotels
5. I saw a cockroach once, so if you stay there make sure your suitcase/bags etc are always zipped up. I kept the windows open, so I think cockroach came from outside.
6. Easy to book online, 24 checkout so you can stay full 24 hours, no need for advance payment to confirm your reservation
7. Will I stay there again, sure. If I am on a tight budget, I will go stay in Hotel Broadway.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side to avoid street noise
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank zux123
KL, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I knew I would love this hotel just by looking at the pictures. It has the old feel which I can appreciate and everything about it is just so beautiful. It's not the cleanest place on earth but certainly one of the cleaner ones that I've encountered in India. The area which the hotel is situated is pretty nice, not very touristy so you can observe everyday life in Kolkatta.

I stayed on the highest floor so I didnt get any mosquito problems and though it's very close to the street, I am used to the honking in India by now. When I closed the doors to the mini balcony, I can hardly hear any noise.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Danielwongkaifai
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

The ambience of this hotel transports you back to the 1930's. I loved the art deco style, even the desk and chairs in my room were from that era. It is true, the rooms are huge and spotless. Sheets are crisp and clean. Staff is wonderful, from the front desk to the guy in charge of your floor to the cleaning staff. I do not think I have ever in all of my travels had such good value for a hotel room. The location is very central with a metro stop at your doorstep. I walked or metroed it to pretty much everywhere in the city. Kolkata is fascinating, non-touristy, with plenty of sights to keep you busy for days. This hotel is enough reason apart from the charm of the city to return again and again. I will be back in November....

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank KincsZoltan
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

The Broadway Hotel is right next to a stop on the fabulous, efficient, cheap Kolkata Metro in an untouristed but lively part of north-central Kolkata, within walking distance of the Maidan, the College Street bookstalls, BBD Bagh, and other interesting spots. The rooms are non-a/c but airy, clean, and huge, with plenty of room for tables and chairs as well as beds.

Staff were welcoming and helpful with Kolkata information. We enjoyed sitting in the quiet downstairs bar, nursing a beer, snacking on cucumbers and salt, and watching people on the street outside (but note that the patrons are almost exclusively men).

Hot water in the bathroom is really, really hot! Gnats accumulate in the bathroom overnight, but if you're worried about a few little bugs, you're probably going to want to stay elsewhere--like a different city.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank lengelcj
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

The best part of this hotel is its british architect. Room are quite spacious and clean. Good connectivity to the city through metro and tram.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Vishal K
Udaipur, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Our room (3 people) was BIG. The bathroom was okay.
The room was somewhat furnished (not just a bed - there were chairs, table, ... )
It was clean; we requested a third bed/mattress because there was only bed for 2. The staff pretty much ignored our request; but, we ended up not using it anyways.
You cannot smoke inside the hotel.
The style is pretty old with some charm in it. There is a nice cafe next to the reception.

It is pretty okay