“Very Good ambience with average good food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Afraa

Afraa
City Centre Mall, Shop No. G601 & G701, Sixth & Seventh Floor, Block DC, Sector 1, Salt Lake, Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #215 of 2,653 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
CALCUTTA, INDIA
“Very Good ambience with average good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The restaurant is on the 7th floor of Salt Lake City Centre. It has a very upmarket feel and very good ambience for fine dining experience and matching price-line. But the food quality did not match the ambience and price. We ordered Pizza which is a thin crust one but was lacking in cheese and sauce and taste. The spaghetti bolognese was too spicy. In the sea food platter some items like squid has too much spice in them while the lobstars were too bland.

However the complementary bread basket with small soft breads and cheese dip was just fantastic and so is the complementary Paan with dark chocolate coating. If the main courses had maintain this standard it would have made the restaurant one of the best in the city.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Feel of a good restaurant in Kolkata”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am a self proclaimed food lover and may I dare add a food critic. Although I am a bengali, but never tried restaurants in Kolkata as I live in Delhi and even though travel quite frequently never been to proper kolkata.

This time I was scheduled to visit Kol in Aug 2012 and I wanted to make the most of it. I searched the list of top restaurants in Kolkata, and Afraa showed up, I was in Salt Lake, and thought of visiting this restaurant.

Personally, I liked the ambience, I visited the place with my family, and it was a well lit, comfortable restaurant with good enough space. Getting To the restaurant was a bit of trouble as I had to wait for 10 mins for the lift to come and take us to 7th floor.

We ordered Mushroom soup and Chicken Tikka (with coconut sauce in it). The soup was delicious, the best mushroom soup I had in a long time, though my kid cousin brother found it little spicy to his liking.
The chicken tikka was also good, I have eaten better chicken tikkas but this was not bad. Quantity was not generous, but it takes a lot when it comes to quantity. All in all, I was happy with what I got.

The service was good, waiters were attentive, perhaps the fact that it was a weekday helped. Cutlery was heavy, the way I like it and plates, table cloth etc were clean. Nice and clean rest rooms added to the feel good feeling. AC maintained the temperature that was comfortable given the humid costal weather of Kolkata, without making any noise.

Afraa has a restaurant on the 7th floor while a bar & lounge on the 6th. At times we heard the "dusche - dusche" sound coming from downstairs, but it was rare.

For the main course, we ordered from the main grill - chicken breast with vegetables and a bacon rissotto. The grilled chicken was good. I had eaten better in Goa, Bangalore, Mumbai, Lithuania. But again I am not complaining. The veggies were nice. Good portion of lime and mushroom sauce, the grilled chicken was ok, could have been better :)

Rissotto was a disaster, not because it wasn't cooked well but because my sister (and us Indians in particular) had developed a taste that made the rissotto taste like simply a mix of rice, powered cheese and pieces of bacon.

All in all, Afraa was the best restaurant that I ate in Kolkata.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
“Costly, but not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We tried this restraunt thinking about its ambience etc. Ambience definitely is good. We were informed that the Pizza of this restraunt is the signature dish. However, when we ordered Pizza, plus bengali fish curry, we found to be total waste. The food is very costly, yet not worth it. I will advice against trying this place.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Must Go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Brilliant.... Try anything from the menu and I bet u can't complain. Happy hours between 6 and 8 (1+1 offers) and ladies - enjoy yourselves on fridays (2 free drinks and as many shots as you want). Ask for Pratyush to serve you ... he makes amazing pitcher drinks and a must try is the APPLE INFUSION

Visited July 2012
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
“Best in Salt Lake, Kolkata”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

It is one of the most expensive restaurant in kolkata but the service is very good. Food was also good and well served.

Visited March 2012