“My favorite spot after four weeks in India” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Gandhi Rd, Darjeeling 734101, India   |
Ranked #4 of 79 Hotels in Darjeeling
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary
“My favorite spot after four weeks in India”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

After the noise and polution of the big Indian cities, Darjeeling was an oasis. The Dekling itself was also fantastic. The staff anticapated all of our needs and went above and beyond when we needed assistance. Even going to the post office and sending off a package for me after our departure. We even arrived early unannounced by two days and they bent over backwards to accomidate. The first two nights we had an attic room with an incredable view of the mountians. The attic is very cozy and the thick wool blankets gave me my best sleep in India. Our last two nights we were on the first floor and the room was a little less glamourous but still very nice. Hot water was always relyable and breakfast was very satisfying. I can't say enough about the owner or the staff.

The only things one should be aware of is that the Dekling's reception is on the fourth floor, and if you have an attic room you will have to climb six flights of stairs to get there.

Also, across the street from the Dekling is where at least a couple of dozen taxi's park. These taxi's get moving at around 3am to take people to see the sunrise at Tiger Hill, so they can wake you up briefly, but its not really that big a bother.

However the location (right at one end of the mall) great rooms and a superstar staff make this hotel very well worth the price. I was sorry to have to leave.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — morning noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gurgaon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

After reading the reviews for Dekeling, I had huge expectations for the place.

I planned the travel by booking rooms at the Dekeling Hotel a week in advance and got e-mail confirmation from the owner (Mr Norbu).

On the day of arrival, I reached Bagdogra Airport at ~1:00 PM and called up the Hotel informing them of my arrrival.

I took a Taxi from the Airport directly to the Hotel and on reaching the Hotel, was surprised by the reaction of staff at the Reception. They made me wait at the reception lounge for about 10 min and then took me to a shady little room which they said was going to be my room for the stay.
I protested saying that I had booked a bigger sized room (advertised as attic room on their website) to which they again dissapeared and came back informing that the room i had booked was not available and this was all they have to offer.

I protested again and even showed them the printout of the confirmation mail but to no avail, they just apologised and again tried to sell the shady room.

It was 9:00 PM by the time and Darjeeling closes down pretty early. I had to walk out and look out for another place which I did find(it was lot better & bigger) and luckily at 30% less price than Dekeling.

• Disliked — Dishonoured Booking Commitment
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from the Bus Stand/ Gandhi Road area, try to get a place on the other side pref. Darjeeling Tourist Lodge, Gymkhana or Fortune Central.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

This was absolutely the best value on our journey through India.
The rooms are lovely, the staff (the hotel is family-run by a tibetan family) is lovely, helpful and welcoming. We felt at home!
There's complimentary tea in the morning brought to your bedside - where do you get that nowadays even in expensive hotels? Hot water was working all the time while we were there - a rare thing in Darjeeling.
Food indeed is terrific, the pizzas are great and so is the tibetan stuff.
Upstairs is a cosy common seating area with a fireplace and loads of books you can read while you're there. Exactly the right thing for cold Darjeeling evenings!
No complaints at all! I would love to go back there immediately!

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

After the mayhem of "India", Darjeeling itself was like returning to Nepal. People are amazingly welcoming, and the Dekeling provided the perfect base for exploring this beautiful area. Run by what I remeber to be a Tibetan family, (a few years ago since visiting!). The hotel staff were wonderful. So polite and hospitable. The rooms vary with price, and on our last few nights we treated ourselves to an up-graded room with spectacular views of the Himalayas. We were provided room service and "HOT WATER BOTTLES!" already placed in our bed by the time we returned from our evenings out!!! Five years on and my boyfriend and I still talk about this little gem of an hotel! The Dekevas restaurant downstairs was "the" best place we found to eat. Espesially for veggies. We felt absolutely spoilt, and quite humbled by their hospitality and generosity. (Typical Brits I guess!) The other best place we found to eat was Glenarys bakery/tea room. Amazing bakery, wonderful tea room upstairs, again with spectacular views. You have to try their pizza....what a treat when on the road for so long!!! Ahhh I miss this place sooo much...such fond memories...ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Claire, Bristol, UK.

• Stayed January 2000
Leeds England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2004

Stayed here September 2002. Excellent, only concern was the locking of the gates at the entrance on a night.... fire risk!!

Been to Dekeling Hotel? Share your experiences!