“Great service at the Residency Towers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Residency Towers

Save Saved
You added The Residency Towers to your Saves list
The Residency Towers
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sir Thyagaraya Road, Chennai (Madras) 600017, India (Thyagaraya Nagar)   |
Ranked #15 of 336 hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Melbourne
“Great service at the Residency Towers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Residency Towers for two stints during Jan 2009.

We had a fantastic experience overall and would strongly recommend this hotel as a place to stay in Chennai.

Pluses

- room cleanliness and overall
appearance/presentation
- service was prompt and helpful, the staff were courteous and treated us like royalty
- buffett breakfast was excellent
- location is walking distance from major shops
- value for money

Minuses

- carpet in rooms gives a musty smell. Make sure you ask for a contemporary room which doesn't have carpet to allieviate this.
- noise from the Bike and Barrel bar downstairs. Even on the 16th floor we experienced some issues with noise which made it difficult to sleep on some nights (i.e the constant pounding of a beat). We were moved to another room on the 16th floor that was fine.

Overall, we had such a pleasant experience that we will look to stay here for future visits to Chennai.

• Liked — Service and location
  • Disliked — Nothing major
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

410 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Turkish first
chennai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

The Residency Towers, is one of the finest hotel to be in. They have shown a great hopitality.
With a mix of south and north Indian dishes, its really a joy for food lovers. Its very near to the main market place of chennai also.
Ovarall it was a great experiance being there.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

Decent accomodations--nice furnishings with a little bit of wear. Had a few issues with the water but maintenance was responsive and fixed quickly. Overall a good business hotel for better price than other high end hotels.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

This was my first visit to India and I was here on business for two weeks. Overall, I was happy with the serivce and room.

My room on the 16th floor was a welcome relief from the chaos and traffic that is Chennai, though the hotel isn't really 20 stories. The first three floors offer restaurant, business, and exercise amenities and then you skip directly to the "11th-20th" floors. So, when other reviews recommend a room further away from the pub to avoid noise (and they're right), pick a room at least at the 14th floor. Still the walls are thin, and depending on who your neighbors are, you may be kept up with TV and loud conversations.

They offer WiFi and cable internet connection, for an extra fee, and I found this to be this biggest hassle during my stay. Though you are prompted to pick the duration of service and charge it to your room, this never worked for me. I had to call the front desk every time I wanted to renew my internet connection and someone would come up to my room and configure the connection. While the service was prompt, I've never needed hotel assistance for internet at any other US or European hotel. Also, you had to choose whether you wanted wireless or wired service for the time you purchased, and the wireless would lose signal occasionally leaving you with no connection at all.

The breakfast buffet was decent and offered a wide-selection of choices for any traveler, and I was glad to have my usual breakfast of toast and fruit when who knows what I would be eating for the rest of the day.

The Pondy Bazaar is just five minutes walk up the street from the hotel, with a myriad of shops and street vendors. Though the hotel isn't centrally located for tourism, you can find places to shop if that's what you're after.

While I wouldn't consider this a luxury hotel by US standards, it was certainly clean and comfortable, and the staff were attentive. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Clean and air-conditioned
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Kent, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

I booked a room for one night from England as our flight arrived around 10pm. As included in the price the hotel collected us from the airport - very helpful driver. 30-40 minutes (scary) drive from airport. Heard noise from the disco when we arrived at reception. Room on 18th Floor pretty good, big and comfortable bed and no noise from downstairs - could hear next door's TV the next morning but not too bad. Breakfast on 18th floor pretty basic. Checkout ok and car drove us back to the airport for onward flight the next morning. Driver handed us onto a Kingfisher Airlines person at Chennai Airport who took us through. Altogether a pretty good introduction to India.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

My partner and I have just returned from one of our many visits to India. We chose the Residency Towers mainly because it had good reviews on TripAdvisor and it operated a 24hr check in/out policy, which was handy, as our plane landed in Chennai at 3am!

First impressions of the hotel were that it was "impressive and swanky" looking and seemed to be patronised by business people. Though the reception staff had poor command of English or were just "shy" the check-in process was without hiccup and we were quickly shown to our room, which I had booked from the UK.

The room on the 1st floor was reasonably furnished and clean; however, there was an overwhelming smell normally associated with a carpet that has been damp, and this smell seemed to effuse from the AC as well. Come to mention it, this smell seemed to be prevalent in the "corridors" of this floor. Given the time that it was and my tiredness I resolved to deal with the matter the next day.

The next morning I reported the matter to reception and politely asked to be moved to another room. The receptionist advised that we be moved shortly; however, 30 mins later I hadn't anything and so phoned again and was told the same - a room would be found shortly.

To be fair, we were shown three other rooms - one on the 3rd floor, which was on the side of the main road and therefore likely to be noisey, and finally one, which had no carpet but laminate wood flooring and was kitted out in "stark modern" slightly dated furniture, which was ok.

The restaurant decor is a throw back from the 80s - Tex Mex, burger junction style. Breakfast, which was included in our tariff and is of buffet style, was acceptable; however, the fresh fruit on display had clearly seen better days. The staff were reasonably efficient and overall the standard of cleanliness was not offensive.

There is a reasonably sized outdoor pool and gym as well as a "pub". There is little to see or do within the immediate vicinity of the hotel other than the usual collection of shabby shops and restaurants. Overall I thought the hotel was rather pricey when compared to some other hotels that we later on stayed at in other cities. However, at the time it served as well for our purposes but it is certainly not a hotel to lounge it but neither is the city of Chennai!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lancashire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

Arrived mid morning but we were immediately allocated a room. The room was an attempt at modern chic but did look a fairly cheap attempt at it. Still it was clean with the usual mod cons of a 3 - 4star business hotel in a big city. The bathroom was clean and functional. The hotel is located on a busy route into the city centre but we weren't disturbed by the traffic or other noise.
Breakfast was very good and the staff were very attentive.

• Liked — Check in
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Residency Towers? Share your experiences!