“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Chennai

You added Courtyard by Marriott Chennai to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Chennai
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   564, Teynampet | Anna Salai, Chennai (Madras) 600018, India   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #33 of 343 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Pictures look good but the reality is different. Very very old hotel. Worst bed sheets and towels, faded color and very worn. I paid for a larger room and they gave me a small room. When I asked them, they apologized and gave me a free upgrade. It is in proximity to business district so convenient to restaurants and shopping. Business center is nice but you have to upgrade to avail the benefits.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
CYCMarcomm, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chennai, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We would appreciate the opportunity to talk to you about your negative experience at the hotel. This most certainly is not what we expect nor accept of our team. Please do get in touch with me on the details as under, I would be pleased to address your concerns personally. I look forward to talking to you very soon.

Priyanka.dutta@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Indonesian first
bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night on a quick business trip. Check in was quick and smooth, and the staff at the front desk efficient and warm.
My room was comfortably furnished and clean and quiet with a view of the city. With its CBD location great views cannot be expected.. Bathrooms are clean old fashioned as they do not have shower cubicles but bathtubs which are somewhat passe' nowadays.
TV programmes are a restricted so for those looking for variety maybe disappointed. The inroom dining food and service was quite ordinary, I have had better in Chennai city.
The breakfast buffet is good but service tends to be lax.
Overall good value experience as can be expected from a Courtyard Hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very detailed review of our hotel. We really appreciate your kind words, it means so much to us to get such great acknowledgement, this is probably one of the best forms of motivation that they can receive. It inspires us to keep impressing our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Courtyard by Marriott Chennai. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with for any other clarifications or queries.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I spent ten days at the Marriott during a business trip to India in January 2012. The hotel was an excellent retreat from the hectic traffic and pace of the city. Here's what I liked the most:

1. Great staff. I found all staff to be very, very helpful, engaged, willing, and professional. From front desk to waiters to room service, they were all great.

2. Comfortable room. The bed was large, well appointed with numerous pillows, and very comfortable. I slept very well! It took me a little while to figure out the air conditioner controls but, for the most part, the room temperature was fine. The room had a sitting area (with a couch and table), a work area (with internet connection), and a spacious bathroom. My only issue was that the wardrobe was quite small (see my photos).

3. Internet access. The hotel has two types of internet access. Executive rooms and lounge have wireless access. All other rooms have access via an in-room cable. Access is free to Marriott Rewards members. I was able to connect very easily and the speed was high enough for me to watch videos and make international Skype calls.

4. Food. The hotel has a very good main restaurant that offers both a buffet and food from the menu. The focus is Indian, of course, but there are Chinese and Western items. Overall I found the quality and range to be very good. The chefs and staff were very helpful - they navigated me through some new Indian dishes. There's also a very fine Italian restaurant that serves very good food. My only issue with it was the dreadful "rap" music, played at a high volume. Totally inappropriate for what was a quiet and supposedly romantic spot.

I really enjoyed my stay in the hotel and would recommend it to business and other travelers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Excellent staff; good rooms. Overall, this is a good hotel. The staff go out of their way to ensure that all aspects of your stay are well-taken care of. The rooms are nice but all rooms face abandoned neighbouring buildings. The two restaurant choices are fine. The breakfast buffet is amazing. Go earlier to the main restaurant if you want to avoid louder music because the bar adjoins the restaurant. Close to several shopping destinations.

Room Tip: all similar. Higher might be better
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I was travelling on work and was just staying for a night. The room was decent and comfortable. But the in-room dining food was most ordinary. Salad and dressing was brought separately for me to toss, without appropriate tossing equipment. The breakfast had cold eggs, randomly cut ham, no toast (despite request), and no coffee. The coffee cam much much later.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

While there are better looking properties in Chennai, what sets the Courtyard by Mariott apart from all these is the overall experience which leaves a lasting memory.
Right from the time you enter into the hotel - the security staff, the reception staff are all out there to make your check in comfortable. The hotel outlay is quite standard and the rooms are spic n span and very very comfortable. The linen and towels quality is outstanding and due care is taken to ensure that they are very soft, clean and sparkling white. The wash basin, mirrors and the bath area are awesome and one literally gets a ''wow'' feeling. The kings bed was very comfortable. What stands out is the fact that due care is taken to ensure that every single item in the room is properly identified and improvised to ensure that there are no complaints.
The best part of the hotel is the food. The chef Satish (I specially asked for him) ensures that the spread of the buffet - whether breakfast or dinner is meticulously planned and none of the items were repeated during my 3 day stay at the hotel. Best part of the menu was the pizza which was on the house with the buffet and I did not expect such tasty and unique Italian, Chinese, Indian and South Indian spread on the menu.
The best part of the breakfast was the kaapi (filter coffee) that was served in traditional road-side Chennai style in a glass and a davara (a small cup on which the glass is placed). It is quite surprising that the staff even at the restaurant remember your names and tastes. For example the steward remembered my preference and exactly asked for it the next day.
Two aspects which the hotel could improve upon is the TV channels - they do not have CNBC TV 18 one channel that every business traveler would like to see. There is a very limited choice. The other is that the view of the hotel from the rooms within are not good, but this is due to the very design of the place. But who wants to stay in a room, when you have an excellent gym, heated jacuzzy and a great steam room for rejuvenation.
This is one of the best experience that I have ever had with respect to service in any hotel ever.

Room Tip: The road side facing rooms are much better. Higher floors have a better view. Do take time out for t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Good service, nice breakfast...great location

Rooms are worn for a hotel that is 6 yrs old... no wifi in rooms, no iron and ironing board ... you have to asked for an iron

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We would appreciate the opportunity to talk to you about your negative experience at the hotel. The hotel building is old an we are looking at renovating soon. Please do get in touch with me on the details as under, I would be pleased to address your concerns personally. I look forward to talking to you very soon.

Priyanka

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Chennai? Share your experiences!