“Professional service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Woodlands Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chennai (Madras)
New Woodlands Hotel
You added New Woodlands Hotel to your Saves list
72-75,Dr.Radhakrishnan Road, | Mylapore, Chennai (Madras) 600004, India   |
Ranked #64 of 338 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Professional service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

The New Woodlands is a big resort-like complex, with many rooms, restaurants, beauty salon, wedding halls, etc. It has an in-house travel office, and they can arrange for transportation.

Very efficient and professional service, and the rooms are clean. On the downside, the place is rather noisy due to the proximity of the wedding halls (expect lots of noise at night if you travel during wedding season, as we did...) The staff thoughtfully gave us a recessed room at the far end of the compound, but even there it was quite noisy. And the worst of all: there is a deafeningly loud power generator right in front of the hotel: upon arrival, we had to shout to make us understood by the taxi driver... Tiresome, and a rather bad welcome!

• Liked — Good location, between the train station and the interesting sites. Lots of restaurants nearby. Good in-house restaurant. Travel agency.
  • Disliked — Noisy (get rid of that horrible generator!!), not a lot of character. In-house restaurants had weird and hard to predict opening times.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

The Hotel is an absolute Value For the Price. Clean Rooms. Excellent Vegetarian Restaurant

• Liked — Excellent Value . Large Property
  • Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Woburn, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

I was here for my visit to US consulate. This is a neat place to stay for few days. Rooms are simple and spacious but not great. Since the hotel is not too expensive I feel it is a value for money. I did not have much expectations so was not disappointed.

Compared to my other stay in Chennai this was the best. IF you are willing to spend more there are better luxury hotels in Chennai. This hotel served my needs.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

Hi !
We are regular visitors ( Fourth time)to this hotel through our company,
We keep going to this Hotel as it is near to US Consulate for Visas, This hotel does not treat the Indians well at all , They confirm your booking over the telephone very nicely, they even take your telephone number,The business strategy of this hotel is keep bookings full and they keep extra bookings as buffer stock, If you are a non Indian or an NRI your booking is confirmed, If you are an Indian, as we pay lesser than international tourists, their are 100% Chances you may not get a room, Once we had taken aged parents of one of our employees at 10.00 PM , They refused citing vague reasons.We had to argue to get our room!. as we had no choice in the middle of the night in an unknown city with aged people!
We had a horrendous experience begging for rooms, we remembered the British era slogan in Hotels "Indians and Dogs not welcome"
Finally we had to travel in autorickshaw for 2hrs to get a room in the nearby locality!!
Lesson learnt: Never go to this hotel just by booking over phone,
They do not give rooms even though your name is printed on the list. Pay 100% 7 days in advance , call again 2 days in advance to make sure your room is booked for real!
Do not get a room adjoining the neighboring Savera Hotel all night you will be hearing a Savera hotel attendant calling vehicle numbers on a loud microphone every 15 mins in the middle of the night or a marriage party going on with loud noise 'Music'

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

I have pleasant memories of my stay at the New Woodlands Hotel in Chennai. For the last 4 years, I have checked into New Woodlands during the Music Festival season. in December. What attracted me to New Woodlands is its central location and easy access to all the Sabhas. It’s proximity to the Music Academy is a big plus.

I have been very pleased with the good clean accommodation and quality service it offers. The rooms assigned to me were very spacious, clean and with cable TV 24 hours. The service of the room attendants was commendable. The rooms were cleaned well with fresh towels every single day. The vegetarian restaurants are a delight with typical Indian food. The service was always pleasant and prompt and the waiters were always courteous. The presence of a small temple on site is a good stimulus to begin the day.

The Reception Desk personnel have been marvelous - cordial, friendly and ever ready to help. Even after night duty, they would greet me with a smile first thing in the morning. The security around the hotel is noteworthy. What I missed was the absence of a coffee shop which could provide coffee from 5 AM during the Music Festival season. Many who come to attend the Music Festival are up early. I was trekking every day to the Saravanabhavan across the street between 5 and 5.30 AM just for a cup of coffee.

I have been very pleased with the warm homely atmosphere and the cordiality of the Reception Desk Staff at the New Woodlands and plan to return in the future.

• Liked — proximity to Music Academy
  • Disliked — coffee shop opens late
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Whenever I visited Chennai, I stayed in not so known hotel previously. This time, I thought I will go for the brand name and chose New Woodlands Hotel. It was a nightmarish experience. Absolutely no value for money. They have rooms, with bed sheets and upholstery around 30 years old. They charge a bomb and then provide the least of facilities. They have a box, with glass called TV. All these might be acceptable if you pay peanuts, but when you are paying what New Woodland Hotels charges, it is highly unacceptable. The AC in the room, sounds like a lorry parked outside and the rooms are so dimly light, god I would prefer a dungeon that this place. The Cot is stinking and nothing is satisfactory. Again, I stress, absolutely no value for money. Please don't try it. Take my advice and avoid this hotel.

Stayed December 2008
Hyderabad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

Initially I booked a single non-a/c room over phone which was Rs.1040 (inclusive of tax). They confirmed the booking before 1 day. When I reached chennai and called them, they said only the executive room is available. They were irresponsible in replying and they lie and dont care though I warned them of bad feedback online. Dont be dependent on booking. Better book another hotel also and this woodlands hotel should be given last option.

• Liked — Nothing special
  • Disliked — Irresponsible and rude staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to New Woodlands Hotel? Share your experiences!